Cream in your coffee?

Options
Fat free or sugar free ?

I love my morning coffee..3 packets of Splenda and French Vanilla Creamer..
I had been using the fat free but recently switched to sugar free..
Which do you think is more beneficial?

Replies

• starross87
    Options
    probably whichever has fewer calories. i only use about 1 teaspoon of 1/2 and 1/2 and 1 pack of splenda in my coffee--the calories are negligible so i don't even record it.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I switched to sugar free, and now use Pure Via for sweetener.
    Sugar free had fewer calories than fat free.
  • ami299
    ami299 Posts: 57
    Options
    I got this from a crossfit forum:

" The heavily processed crap they put in all FILL-IN-THE-BLANK-"free" creamers will kill you, man. Stop using it.

If you want cream in your coffee I suggest using a teaspoon or two of real heavy cream from grass fed cows... Natural by Nature is the brand I use. Half and Half is good too. Such cream is high in awesome ruminant fat. Ruminant fad (fat from animals that eat grass) is filled with goodness like CLA (conjugated linoleic acid... google it) and a comparably high percentage long-chain Omega-3s.

If you're "85% paleo" that doesn't say much. But if that means you still buy into the notion that fat is somehow bad for you and should be avoided, you haven't figured out yet what it means to eat in a way that duplicates the metabolic milieu of paleolithic human beings.

You need to read Dr. Kurt Harris' blog "PaNu" ... get on it!"

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=65396
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I use real cream.
  • robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I use Sugar freenin mine and noextra cream and sugar!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I am against anything sugar-free...............that's just me, so don't get all snarky with me, but I think it's more unhealthy (unless you're diabetic or have a health reason for not eating sugar.)

That said, I like the fat-free Vanilla creamer..............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, so good. :love:
  • jovz10
    jovz10 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i use sugar free and sweeten my coffee with splenda....
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    Options
    Neither. Use real cream.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    neither..I drink it black...I only waste liquid calories on alcohol...lol! That sounds horrible!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Real sugar (blonde when I have it, white otherwise) and half and half. Anything over 2 cups is black.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk and sweet 'n low :)
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I indulge in regular creamer. one tbsp is only 30 calories. Mmmmm
  • krstngrrtt
    krstngrrtt Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    neither..I drink it black...I only waste liquid calories on alcohol...lol! That sounds horrible!

No, that sounds perfect! :laugh:
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I use fat free half and half. But as for your question it just depends on what you're more worried about, fat or carbs. Sugar free has less carbs than fat free. I usually go for the fat free, when in all actuality I should be watching my carbs.
  • skinnypigeon
    skinnypigeon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    They both have icky chemicals in them.

A great alternative I got my mom on was SoDelicious Coconut milk creamer in French Vanilla. Dairy free, good fats from the coconut, natural ingredients, Actually has less calories than the fat free (20 cal per TB)

Or I make my own almond milk creamer: http://stylethatfood.com/?p=714
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I only use it during the holidays because of the yummy flavors. I use the regular but only use half a serving. I am lactose intolerant so cream is out of the question:noway:
  • ImJDLookatME
    Options
    I do 2 splendas and half and half
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

LMAO! Exactly this.
  • josiesumerlin
    Options
    bump
  • muchlimm
    Options
    I find that using real cream in my coffee helps keep me satisfied, as fats are very hunger controlling, and makes the coffee taste much better than skim milk or fat-free cream. I use 3 packets of equal (0cal) and 2TBS cream (40cal) with black coffee. It's only a 40cal drink that keeps me more satisfied than a large latte made with skim milk. Cream actually has good health benefits, especially when it's organic. I think it's more important for people to cut sugar out of their diets than fats. I believe about half my daily intake comes from fats, both saturated and unsaturated, because they keep skin, nails, and hair healthy as well as balance your digestive systems and keep you feeling satisfied. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having cream in your coffee. :)