Oatmeal suggestion

Options
I have never liked oatmeal until recently. Friend gave me some instant 'weight control' to try and it was tolerable, but expensive. I've hit on something maybe everyone already knows but I'm going to share just in case.

I found the big canister of quick oats for about $2.50. I measure 1/2 c dry oatmeal into sandwich baggies, put in the brown sugar and cinnamon that I like and seal them up. I do a bunch at once.

When it comes time to make it, I dont follow the instructions to boil them for a minute or whatever. I just open the bag, throw it in a bowl and add hot water from the tea kettle (a little over 2/3 C....play with it to get the consistency you like).

This way, I save money, save time, save one more pan I have to wash :grumble: , and I control the calories of the extras added. And, its quick to grab for a snack or for work or whatever too.

I have to say, compared to the mush that comes from making it on the stove:sick: , the texture is SO much better and it has more 'umph'...dont know how else to put it.

Since I started making it like this, I'm totally an OATMEAL FREAK! :heart: IT! (I put 1/4 c fat free vanilla yogurt on top and its SO good!)

Hope someone can use this info!

Replies

• TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I have never liked oatmeal until recently. Friend gave me some instant 'weight control' to try and it was tolerable, but expensive. I've hit on something maybe everyone already knows but I'm going to share just in case.

I found the big canister of quick oats for about $2.50. I measure 1/2 c dry oatmeal into sandwich baggies, put in the brown sugar and cinnamon that I like and seal them up. I do a bunch at once.

When it comes time to make it, I dont follow the instructions to boil them for a minute or whatever. I just open the bag, throw it in a bowl and add hot water from the tea kettle (a little over 2/3 C....play with it to get the consistency you like).

This way, I save money, save time, save one more pan I have to wash :grumble: , and I control the calories of the extras added. And, its quick to grab for a snack or for work or whatever too.

I have to say, compared to the mush that comes from making it on the stove:sick: , the texture is SO much better and it has more 'umph'...dont know how else to put it.

Since I started making it like this, I'm totally an OATMEAL FREAK! :heart: IT! (I put 1/4 c fat free vanilla yogurt on top and its SO good!)

Hope someone can use this info!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this..

I have been buying the packets (I like the lower sugar ones), but would rather save money and make my own flavors..

I owe ya one..jb
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    Options
    if you like oatmeal (I am OBSESSED) then another good suggestion is:

1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal
    1 or 2 egg whites
    100ml soy milk
    100ml water

just leave it to sit on the stove while you get ready or do something else, stirring occasionally. when the egg white turns white, pour into a bowl and mix in some splenda and some protein powder. i also add frozen blueberries.

this is about 220 calories and full of protein and complex carbs - GREAT start to the day!
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    I am SO glad someone can use the info!! I wasnt sure if I should post it or not!

Have a great day!
  • batzinger
    Options
    That is a really good idea! as an added FYI the large canisters of oatmeal are much much lower in carbs than the instant packets or even the instant canister. Look for the "old fashioned" type and compair side by side for the contents and you will see what I am talking about.
    Obviously the more convenient the packets, the higher the carbs and fats normally are. It pays all the way around to purchase foods and prep them.
  • aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    Thanks for the awsome idea. I can't wait to try this out. Sure will be a big money saver:smile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Make a regular bowl up, add 1 tbsp pb, a banana, some walnuts and a bit of soy milk. So energizing and awesome!:bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Another oatmeal freak here too. I make mine in the microwave (2 min is perfect), but in a pinch I have poured the boiling water on it also!

I like mine w/ 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1 T. Naturally More PB, and 1/4 c. cottage cheese. Yummy and full of good carb, protein, and healthy fat! :bigsmile:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Make a regular bowl up, add 1 tbsp pb, a banana, some walnuts and a bit of soy milk. So energizing and awesome!:bigsmile:
    I'm having it now with cinnamon on top-dang it's good!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Most days I have oatmeal:

1/2 C. Quick Oats
    1/4 C. Pure Canned Pumpkin (nothing added)
    1/2 C. 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soy Milk
    1 Tablespoon Milled Flax Seed
    1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
    Splenda

I usually use water and microwave it, then add pumpkin & soymilk later.

MMMMM Good!
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I make my plain oatmeal and then put just a little squirt of maple syrup in it. Yum! I'll have to try the cinnamon. mmmmmmm!
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal.. Actually finding myself craving it for dinner.. I buy the packets but I like your idea.. I am going to put that on my list.. Sounds like I can use it at work too...

Thanks.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

Mmmm. I add bananas, but PB?

I've also added 1/4 c applesauce.

Or 1/4 c pumpkin.

LOVE OATMEAL!
  • kleimola
    kleimola Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Go to Costco and get two huge bags of the oatmeal even cheaper! I usually chop up some apples and raisins with cinnamon, honey and vanilla extract in mine.
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    :heart: Oatmeal. My aunty got me boiling an apple cubed in a bit of water, then adding in 1/2 cup raw oats with some cinnamon too. The mushy cooked apple adds so much flavor. I also like cold oatmeal after it sets, but that's just me being strange lol.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Go to Costco and get two huge bags of the oatmeal even cheaper! I usually chop up some apples and raisins with cinnamon, honey and vanilla extract in mine.

Oh man! Well, minus the raisins.

:wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I always buy the weight control oatmeal too but I'm going to try it your way. I'm all for saving money especially now with the economy going down the crapper.
  • fullofjoy720
    Options
    wow so may great ideas. I love oatmeal.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Mmmm. I add bananas, but PB?

I've also added 1/4 c applesauce.

Or 1/4 c pumpkin.

LOVE OATMEAL!
    yup PB..(ok I actually eat cashew nut butter but it's easier most times to call it PB here...LOL), added in is the perfect carb/protein combo!:flowerforyou:
  • TuscanySun
    Options
    I make my plain oatmeal and then put just a little squirt of maple syrup in it. Yum! I'll have to try the cinnamon. mmmmmmm!
    Hey...just so you know, I find that you have to use quite a bit of cinnamon to get the flavor up there. But I think thats ok because I read its really good for you! Specifically for your heart I think.