Dropping weight before toning?

Options
Workout question: I’m going to get back on track after the holidays. I know I need to and I have probably gained back everything I lost in weight. Ughh. So here’s to 2012!

I’ve been alternating my workouts between, treadmill/elliptical, Wii workout games, Jillian Michaels DVD’s etc. I have noticed that when I do Jillian’s videos I lose inches but no weight at all and I am almost certain it’s because of the weight training. I know this is a good thing but I want to drop the weight first. Other than eating healthy what is the best type of workouts for losing the weight and what is the right mixture of cardio/weights?

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I have been through this myself, and I understand the number is important. But, the inches and the way you look are really more important. Doing interval and strength workouts is really going to build muscle, and help you lose fat more quickly...which is the main goal right?
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Add more cardio HIIT, interval work out. Do 1 full body weight lifting a week just to maintain your muscle.

I wish I can only just lose inches then I know for sure I don't lose any muscle mass.
    It's hard for women to gain any muscle mass ..
    I want to be strong - a lean mean machine.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Add more cardio HIIT, interval work out. Do 1 full body weight lifting a week just to maintain your muscle.

I wish I can only just lose inches then I know for sure I don't lose any muscle mass.
    It's hard for women to gain any muscle mass ..
    I want to be strong - a lean mean machine.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of losing weight first and am now trying to gain muscle without putting all the weight back on. That's how I found MFP. But anyway everything I have read over the last year plus indicates that it's better to try to put the muscle on first- having more muscle burns more calories and will actually help you lose the fat. So- make sure to keep some strength training in your routine and worry more about the inches than the pounds, as others have said.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Why not tone as you go, the pounds will melt away quicker because resting muscle uses more calories than resting fat and you get some nice toned muscles underneath when you are done losing weight. If you lose weight first and tone later aren't you just taking longer to get the body you want???