Chicken breast & cabbage

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
Ok, now I know this doesn't sound too good, but it was. Last night I came home and checked the fridge. I had 3 small (boneless-skinless) chicken breasts and 1/2 a head of cabbage. Wife works late on Tuesdays, so I had about 3 hours. What to do?,,, Hmmmm.

I cut the chicken into small strips, like taco meat, dropped it in a glass bowl and added a goodly bit of lite Italian salad dressing. The really lite stuff, like 15 cal a serving. I mixed it up let that sit around and think things over while I went out to work in the shop for a couple hours.

1/2 hour before D gets home, I took me big skillet and fired it nice and hot and gave it a spray of Pam, and added the chicken. Small pieces of chix cooked up very quickly. Then I chopped the cabbage a bit smaller than I usually do, maybe 1 inch chop, and dumped it in with the chix w/maybe 1/2 cup o' water and a good sprinkle of black pepper. Cover and simmer 20 min's to cook the cabbage.

I parked it next to some mac&cheese (bad I know, but Ok if you mind the portion) and some iced tea w/Splenda and we had a great, filling 423 calorie supper - and that ain't bad.

Cabbage/Boiled/Shredded, 1 cup 35 7 0 2 remove
Kraft - Macaroni and Cheese, 2.5 oz 260 48 4 9 remove
Kroger - Lite Zesty Italian Dressing, 1 Tbs. 18 2 1 0 remove
M&M Chicken Breast - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 1 piece 110 0 3 23 remove
Add Food Remember Meal 423 57 8 34

:drinker:
:wink:

Replies

• CasperO
    Options
    Ok, now I know this doesn't sound too good, but it was. Last night I came home and checked the fridge. I had 3 small (boneless-skinless) chicken breasts and 1/2 a head of cabbage. Wife works late on Tuesdays, so I had about 3 hours. What to do?,,, Hmmmm.

I cut the chicken into small strips, like taco meat, dropped it in a glass bowl and added a goodly bit of lite Italian salad dressing. The really lite stuff, like 15 cal a serving. I mixed it up let that sit around and think things over while I went out to work in the shop for a couple hours.

1/2 hour before D gets home, I took me big skillet and fired it nice and hot and gave it a spray of Pam, and added the chicken. Small pieces of chix cooked up very quickly. Then I chopped the cabbage a bit smaller than I usually do, maybe 1 inch chop, and dumped it in with the chix w/maybe 1/2 cup o' water and a good sprinkle of black pepper. Cover and simmer 20 min's to cook the cabbage.

I parked it next to some mac&cheese (bad I know, but Ok if you mind the portion) and some iced tea w/Splenda and we had a great, filling 423 calorie supper - and that ain't bad.

Cabbage/Boiled/Shredded, 1 cup 35 7 0 2 remove
    Kraft - Macaroni and Cheese, 2.5 oz 260 48 4 9 remove
    Kroger - Lite Zesty Italian Dressing, 1 Tbs. 18 2 1 0 remove
    M&M Chicken Breast - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 1 piece 110 0 3 23 remove
    Add Food Remember Meal 423 57 8 34

:drinker:
    :wink:
  • jdelisle
    jdelisle Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

I parked it next to some mac&cheese

LOL, that is so awesome, you sound just like my husband when you are describing how you made it! Too cute!

You are a sweetie to make your wife supper :) We appreciate it when our husbands do that for us SO much. :happy:

I have a bunch of cabbage in the fridge (that stuff lasts FOREVER) and a few chicken breasts so I will try this out! Thank-you!
  • CasperO
    Options
    I took over 90% of the cookin' when Di went back to grad school in about 96 or so. Nowadays generally I cook a couple nights a week and she cooks a couple nights. It's about 1/2 & 1/2.

(I'm the better cook, but I never tell her so)...
  • marisa0918
    Options
    Yum this sounds good. I am slovak so I grew up eating cabbage in everything, but I never mixed it with chicken. I'm going to try this.

And I agree thats it's nice of you to make dinner.....now if only the men I dated would :grumble: :laugh:
  • CasperO
    Options
    Here's the funny part about the cookin'.

Now I love to cook for the big crew. My son is 19, there's another kid we fostered who is 19, son's girlfriend is 18, their BFF is 20. That plus Di and me makes 6 mouths to feed.

I like to have the whole gang over and do a ham or roast or turkey or something, and mashed taters and beans or collards and fresh bread etc. etc. and feed the wee trolls. I do it all the time, and the kids are appreciative and say "thanks Dad" and help with the dishes. It's nice.

However ---- When Di decides to cook, the knuckleheads act like it's holy *%&ing communion or something. Raves and excitement and joy... She doesn't cook anything special. It's just the novelty of "Mom cooked" that turns 'em on. She could toss a pan of Stouffers lasagna in the oven and they'd go berserk.

People are funny people. Heheheee

Enjoy the chicken.