Work on Christmas

Options
vaderandbill
vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
I am an adminstrator in a residential program for formerly incarcerated youth. I've been in the field for 20 years and have worked hard to get where I am with the benefits I have. The state of Massachusetts told me today, 2.5 days before the holiday, that they expect administrative coverage on the holiday.

How is that right to do to someone? Especially 2 days before!!! So now I am going to have to tell my boys (6 and 3) that daddy has to leave for the most of the day?!?!

Thanks you for letting me vent! I probably should've put this in the Support section but I'm to p!ssed to change it now.

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    That blows. I am sorry!
  • Pams_Shadow
    Pams_Shadow Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You could try doing Christmas a day early or a day late. I know it's not the same but at least you could spend your "Christmas" day with them. They're young enough it won't matter.

And yeah, it totally BLOWS that you found out last minute!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    That blows. I am sorry!

Thanks. I have the Vice President of our agency fighting the battle right now.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, i have to work on new years day and have for the last 5 years......... with no pay i might add...... gotta love being salary exempt
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    That totally sucks!!! I hope it all works out for you and your family!!
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, i have to work on new years day and have for the last 5 years......... with no pay i might add...... gotta love being salary exempt

I'm salary too so I will only get my normal pay for that week. This sucks.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am sorry for that. Kids are young and experience the "magic" of Christmas for such a short period of time that it really stinks to miss it. And yes, you could celebrate at a different time, but it's not the same. Is there anybody else who could do the coverage for you?
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    Totally heard you cough through your whole post, are you coming down with something? You shouldn't be working in that condition.... don't want to spread the sick, you need to call in.

Sorry, that sucks, I'd be pissed to.
  • vaderandbill
    Options
    Thanks for the support.

No one else can do the coverage because that person has New Years Day to cover and he has been there longer so he got first choice.

If I call in sick then I lose the holiday pay (observed on Monday).

But there is somegood news that just came through....I only have to be physically on site for an hour. So with the 30 minute commute each way and with the hour there, I only have to be away for 2 hours!!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I'll be providing security for the mean streets of GTMO on Sunday. Luckily I don't have anyone to care about me working though. Just make the best of the time you can spend with your kids or celebrate on a different day. At least you're with your family.
  • sorani
    sorani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try to make the best of it...we should celebrate the reason for Christmas every day! i have work from 8am to 1am on Friday, Christmas Eve night and Christmas night...that sould make you feel better...lol!!!