^^^can't argue with solid logic^^^
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I know, right....
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    And even better....I'm having vegetarian chili (it's bean heavy) for dinner...
    This is going to be dangerous! :bigsmile:
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like nutbutter.....Justins is amazing....thats all Ive got to add

Justinsnutbutter.com FTW
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Nuts have trace protein. Predominantly fat.
    Beans have trace protein. Predominantly carbs.

I can't see how any lean meat can be considered high calorie when the high calorie bit comes from the fat at 9cals/gram.

Nuts should not be a primary source of protein for anyone on a calorie restricted diet.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Are they not high protein foods, or are they not efficient protein foods? High protein is high protein, regardless of other cals, no?
    They are a medium protein food.

If you eat scrambled eggs made with two eggs, that's about 12-15 g of protein (depending on the size the eggs) and that's about a serving. A serving of nuts (which is a handful, not a cup!) has about 5 g of protein.

So, even if you don't consider the fat, they aren't really HIGH protein as 5g is not high at all. Personally, I think a serving should contain at least 10 g of protein to even be considered in the high protein category and I generally look for 15 g or better before I consider something a high protein food.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Beans beans magical fruit,
    the more you eat the more you toot.
    The more you toot the better you feel.
    So eat your beans with every meal.

^^^can't argue with solid logic^^^

Yeah but I can argue about the after-effects my husband has when he eats them..... (LOL)
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For those who don't eat meat, beans and nuts are high protein foods. And some beans and nuts have higher levels of protein (see edamame, almonds). About 65% of the world's protein needs are met through plant based protein.

Some examples:

Kidney Beans are almost 24% protein, pumpkin seeds are 24.5% -- yes that's only a quarter of the make-up but there are also tons of other nutrients in those foods.

(A good academic article on the subject -- http://www.ajcn.org/content/59/5/1203S.full.pdf+html)
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Even if you are vegetarian/vegan, nuts should not be anywhere near a primary source of protein - especially if you are watching your calories. Where is the Wheat Meat love? 3oz of seitan (depending on the brand/recipe) contains ~130 calories and 20g of delicious protein - only a few grams behind the same amount of grilled chicken breast.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    What good is it to say these foods aren't high protein foods w/o suggesting some that are?
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I like nutbutter.....Justins is amazing....thats all Ive got to add

Hope "Justins" is a brand name. that's all I've got to add.

6921816.png

HaHaHa. I can't stop laughing!!!

Peanut butter was made by the devil, I swear! I could eat half a jar in two spoonfuls. And it is quite the bummer that nuts are so high in calories as they do have good properties to them, like good fats, heart healthy, etc. And they are so addicting.