How to avoid pushy relatives on Xmas

Options
Christmas is coming and my husband's family loves to eat and gets offended if you don't eat with them. They are sabatogers of my diet! How can I nicely ( but firmly) say no?? Anyone else have this problem???

Replies

• 4UrPb8vo
    Options
    As a guy its even harder. I take smaller portions but try to sample everything. I say "it all tastes wonderful, id love to take some home"

Taking the food home is as good as eating it and it gets you out of the "you must eat our food" mentality some family's have.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    Christmas is coming and my husband's family loves to eat and gets offended if you don't eat with them. They are sabatogers of my diet! How can I nicely ( but firmly) say no?? Anyone else have this problem???

assuming there are some things that fit into your daily nutritional plan..."oh i'm fine with what i have here, thanks."
  • Newbie2weightloss
    Options
    I love that answer,! Thank you
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    1. Connect emotionally with the person - big smile, hug, touch on the arm, to show that you appreciate and love them
    2. Compliment the food - "It looks so good", "It smells delicious", "You must have put a lot of work into it", "You always make such good . . ."
    3. Say no firmly and gently - "But I'm fine", "No, thank you", "I've had lots," etc.

Don't try to explain. Don't bother saying that you can't eat it, that you are on a diet, that you are intolerant or allergic, vegetarian, etc. If they persist, get distracted by something or someone across the room and ignore the pusher.

Pam
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options

I agree with the poster below maybe say you can take some home. If they are not happy with that then I wouldn't worry about it. You are taking care of yourself and need to make sure you do that :) They shouldn't be offended by the fact that you don't want to eat and if they do - just ignore it :)