How many grams of carbs is TOO much?

Options
Hi all! Happy holidays :happy: :happy:
I've been having troubles with carbs lately. This may be worded weird, but I'll try my best to make it as simple as I can :laugh:

It's always either these two scenarios: 1) I eat just enough calories, but go past 180-200, sometimes more than 200, grams of carbs. 2) I don't get enough calories (below 1200) and get around 100-150 grams of carbs. I'm kind of stuck here. My carbs come from things like whole wheat english muffins, fruits, vegetables, frozen green peas, whole wheat bread, granola bars, kettle corn. I absolutely love oranges but according to MFP they have 19 grams of carbs! Obviously all of these numbers stack up, and it's getting me pretty stressed. I have been researching and everywhere I read it says "too many carbs make you gain weight" so I'm very worried about this. Also it seems as if no one else is having this problem - I feel like the odd one out!
Any help here?

Replies

• live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well, it's a difficult question to answer. Sure, lots of carbs may make you gain weight but it has to do more with the type of carbs you are putting in your body (simple, complex). Your daily activity level is important as well. You can have tons of carbs and workout like an animal and not gain weight. Our body does need a significant amount of carbs in order to function/workout. If you can, try and stick with unprocessed or minimally processed carbs.
  • ratgirl11
    Options
    i just found out im prediabetic and my doc sd all carbs turn to sugar. THat is why they put on weight so fast. I limit my carb intake to 180 grams a day. I eat minimal carbs though and i feel full.

The one thing I noticed when i did ww before mfp, is when i would eat healthy granola bars brown rice etc i would gain wt so i just cut them out. i lost 8 lbs after the first week of making that change
  • dreeminbig
    Options
    Well, it's a difficult question to answer. Sure, lots of carbs may make you gain weight but it has to do more with the type of carbs you are putting in your body (simple, complex). Your daily activity level is important as well. You can have tons of carbs and workout like an animal and not gain weight. Our body does need a significant amount of carbs in order to function/workout. If you can, try and stick with unprocessed or minimally processed carbs.

Exactly - that's why I always remember old friends who were into running talking about how they need pasta and brown rice, things like that, to fuel up for runs. I, myself, am not that active of a person, just the occasional workout, so I don't need as many carbs as I am consuming. I just don't understand how to lower the carb intake but keep my calories in check.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    I honestly believe in calorie in vs calorie out and all the other things like breaking down the macros, eating certain types of carbs, and eatinf protein to build muscles just adds stress. I eat whatever I feel like eating, as long as I finish the day with my calorie goal reached. So what I'm saying is pretty much eat all the carbs you want, but don't pass up your total calorie intake goal for the day.
  • live4turns
    Options

Exactly - that's why I always remember old friends who were into running talking about how they need pasta and brown rice, things like that, to fuel up for runs. I, myself, am not that active of a person, just the occasional workout, so I don't need as many carbs as I am consuming. I just don't understand how to lower the carb intake but keep my calories in check.

Veggies are a good source of carbs but very low in calories.
  • dreeminbig
    Options

Veggies are a good source of carbs but very low in calories.

Very low in calories. If I snack on veggies all day I don't think I'd reach my calorie goal.
  • dreeminbig
    Options
    I honestly believe in calorie in vs calorie out and all the other things like breaking down the macros, eating certain types of carbs, and eatinf protein to build muscles just adds stress. I eat whatever I feel like eating, as long as I finish the day with my calorie goal reached. So what I'm saying is pretty much eat all the carbs you want, but don't pass up your total calorie intake goal for the day.

That's what I've been thinking of doing lately. It's just hard to ignore the carb number :angry:
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Maybe try imputing just the total numbers of calories you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner instead of breaking it down by the food you eat. That way, you get the total for the calories, and you don't get to see the carb numbers :P
  • live4turns
    Options
    Maybe try imputing just the total numbers of calories you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner instead of breaking it down by the food you eat. That way, you get the total for the calories, and you don't get to see the carb numbers :P

Yeah I agree, just start with this method. Stick with it for about a month or two and reevaluate. But you have to be honest with yourself and really give an effort to your eating/exercising, otherwise you will never know whether this or that works. This, i know from experience and I think is shared by many. good luck~
  • dreeminbig
    Options
    Good idea, I'll give it a try :tongue:

Thanks guys!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Carbs used to stress me out too. I'm a distance runner, and need carbs for fueling...so I stopped tracking them. I can glance at my diary and know (by how my other macros are stacking up) about how crazy I've been with carbs. I eat mostly "good" carbs and that's really good enough for me. It's not worth the stress of it for me personally!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    there are many "low/lower carb" options. for example instead of a tortilla shell, Joseph's Lavash wraps.
    as for the fruit, I am a low carber and have half an orange each day, or 10 cherries, etc. my carbs are kept low, preferably under 100 a day, sometimes lower. and you are right, often can't get to the 1200 amount that mfp sets, but then again, i am having very little dairy or sodium either.

(if you peek at my diary, keep in mind i have been a little bad lately...last month was waaaay better...
  • dreeminbig
    Options
    Jillybeanruns- I feel like you have the perfect excuse to ignore carbs - because you're a distance runner. I'm definitely not that :tongue:

Pu_239- Good point. I'll try to focus on that.

Iamtippicanoe- I completely understand. And don't worry about it, we all have bad times! Lol. What matters is standing up after we fall :smile:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    At this point in the game, don't worry about macro nutrients too much (proteins,carbs,fats). Make sure you get enough protein though protein is the building blocks of the body. I don't like this rule of thumb, but it's usually 0.5g-1.0g of protein. It's best to go by LBM(lean body mass) but right now don't worry about that.

If you get enough protein, stay under your caloric goal, if you go over on carbs, or fats, doesn't matter, calories are what matter.

Agree with this.

Carbs don't make you gain weight (processed or unprocessed), excess calories over your TDEE do.

You may need to reassess your cal goal too as 1200 is not a "one number fits all" thing.
    http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I've been having troubles with carbs lately. This may be worded weird, but I'll try my best to make it as simple as I can :laugh:

It's always either these two scenarios: 1) I eat just enough calories, but go past 180-200, sometimes more than 200, grams of carbs. 2) I don't get enough calories (below 1200) and get around 100-150 grams of carbs. I'm kind of stuck here. My carbs come from things like whole wheat english muffins, fruits, vegetables, frozen green peas, whole wheat bread, granola bars, kettle corn. I absolutely love oranges but according to MFP they have 19 grams of carbs! Obviously all of these numbers stack up, and it's getting me pretty stressed. I have been researching and everywhere I read it says "too many carbs make you gain weight" so I'm very worried about this. Also it seems as if no one else is having this problem - I feel like the odd one out!
    Any help here?

Try eating less of the granola bars, bread, peas and corn, how is the portion control?
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Any help here?

Try eating less of the granola bars, bread, peas and corn, how is the portion control?
  • dreeminbig
    Options

Any help here?

I think I am pretty good with my portion sizes. I don't serve myself on huge plates nor do I serve myself on really small plates - it's just right. Atleast for my stomach and I, because we are both pretty satisfied. :happy:

As for eating less of the things you mentioned, those are the things that really rack up my calorie count.
  • dreeminbig
    Options
    Chrisdavey, I will take that into consideration!
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    This ^^^^ calories vs. calories out for the most part. Caloric balance controls your body weight. If your talking about body composition then adjustment of your macros is needed.