All for nothing????

Options
Ok ... since I'm new to this exercising stuff - I have a question that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the answer to but I'm going to ask anyway!! :flowerforyou:

I went to the gym on Saturday and did all these "free weight" exercises ... squats and lunges ... my first time doing this since I was in the birth canal (I think I did this stuff in there but don't hold me to that!) anyway ... I was going to do some more squats and lunges on Monday at the gym but my legs were still killing me so I didn't. :grumble:

Someone told me yesterday that if you work out a muscle and then don't work it out again for another 72 hours - the original work out was basically for nothing because the muscle doesn't remember the workout or something like that. Is this true? Did I kill myself and then let it all go to waste? :angry: Please someone tell me it isn't so!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• YankeesGirl
    YankeesGirl Posts: 1,359
    Options
    Ok ... since I'm new to this exercising stuff - I have a question that I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the answer to but I'm going to ask anyway!! :flowerforyou:

I went to the gym on Saturday and did all these "free weight" exercises ... squats and lunges ... my first time doing this since I was in the birth canal (I think I did this stuff in there but don't hold me to that!) anyway ... I was going to do some more squats and lunges on Monday at the gym but my legs were still killing me so I didn't. :grumble:

Someone told me yesterday that if you work out a muscle and then don't work it out again for another 72 hours - the original work out was basically for nothing because the muscle doesn't remember the workout or something like that. Is this true? Did I kill myself and then let it all go to waste? :angry: Please someone tell me it isn't so!!! :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    That's ridiculous, exercise is exercise and is always good for you. A little soreness is usually a good sign that you are pushing yourself, and building new muscle tissue. good job!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's not even a little bit true. That is a complete phallacy.

In fact. The less your muscles remember an exercise, the better for the "burn" or recovery.

and with weight training, you should always try to rest the muscle group for a couple of days or at least until there is no more soreness.

Cardio is different because you aren't breaking down muscle tissue, but it's still better even with cardio to do multiple different types of exercise.

When muscles "learn" an exercise, they become more efficient, and efficient muscles burn less calories.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to be told that you have to work the sore muscles to make them stop hurting but this isn't true. Basically if it hurts, don't do it. You're not wasting ANYTHING, so don't worry.
  • Bug263
    Bug263 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, exercise is exercise and is always good for you. A little soreness is usually a good sign that you are pushing yourself, and building new muscle tissue. good job!
    same here, and me personally try to workout as much as possible when i'm sore, even if it's a 30 min. walk or whatever because when i'm done i usually don't feel as sore after all is said and done. but i think you are perfectly fine, like vanessadawn said "exercise is exercise!"
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I think you have been mis-informed, that is simply not true. I have been working out for years and have never heard that. Although I will give you some information for you to think about, but please remember that everyone's body is different, so what ever you hear is going to be right for some and not right for others, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you're just starting out with weight training...take it easy. Although your mind wants to go all out because you are excited about a new routine, or firming up, you must start out slowly. These are movements that your body is not use to yet, so go light on the weights and work out a routine where you are working each muscle group no more than twice a week, and give it some rest days in between to recover. You will increase the weights faster than you think as your body gets use to the movements, but first, you body must get use to the movements before putting adding lots of weight.

Warm up your muscles first and be sure to cool down and stretch afterwards. It will help eleveate alot of the soreness, believe me, it'll help. If you get too sore, don't just stop going to the gym, but just take it easy and do some slow walking or something to warm up your muscles and be sure to stretch afterwards.

Don't kill yourself. People who go all gung-ho at the beginning and get too enthusiastic sometimes quite because they get frustrated. Start easy and go long.

Hope this helps...good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • YankeesGirl
    Options
    Ok ... that's such good news because I felt disheartened :brokenheart: by that news and now I'm happy again :happy:

I've been able to get myself up to 45 mins on the treadmill and I actual feel good after I'm done ... so I know I'm doing my body good .... but you just hate the thought of something going to waste!

I knew Boston would come through w/ a good answer! hehe :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Many professional body builders only work each muscle group once per week. You should work your muscles at least two or three times a week in the beginning -- once a week is good for maintaining. What you were told was totally false. You do need to let your muscles heal. That's when they build -- between exercise sessions, not during them. Be assured that you don't need to kill yourself or lift every day. In fact, you shouldn't do it every day. Have fun!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym regularly and my exercise instructor advises us to alternate days for cardio and weight training. You don't want over do it on one muscle group two days in a row. However, you will feel better and a lot less sore if you stretch that muscle out the next day and then do some cardio.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Rest those muscles after a workout. However, I have found that the best thing for soreness is light to moderate cardio the next day. If I think I'm too sore and skip the cardio on the day after, the second day after my muscles are VERY stiff and sore!:noway: Make sure you stretch after your workout and warm-up properly! Keep it up!!:flowerforyou: You'll love the benefits!
  • YankeesGirl
    Options
    on Monday I did stretch out and do my cardio but I didn't specifically work those muscles ... so that is what I was fearful of ...

I'll get there ... slowly but surely ... :happy:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it was just pointed out to me that I wrote phallacy. OOPS! that's ahh, suppose to be fallacy.

simple typing error or freudian slip? you be the judge.:embarassed: