Snack ideas

Anyone have any healthy snack ideas? Lately I have been eating a lot of hummus...rice cakes and hummus, celery and hummus, rice crackers and hummus. But I would love some new ideas. I like salty foods but am trying to cut down on my sodium intake. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so fruits and yogurt aren't always appealing. I am also looking for ways to boost my daily potassium intake and also calcium as I have cut down on how much dairy I consume. Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• Bananas are an excellent source of potassium, as are portobello mushrooms- My current favorite breakfast is a peanut butter and banana wrap. I've used large portobella mushrooms as mini pizza crusts before- scrap out gills, broil 5-10 minutes (flip once) take out, put on favorite pizza items, broil till cheese melts- normally under 150 calories
  • 65PONY
    65PONY Posts: 68 Member
    I like pickeled Beets :-)
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    I eat a lot of canned fruits, nuts and seeds, beef jerky, jello, and lunch meat (not the best but a snack) for snacks. Oatmeal is good too. Or fresh fruit. I no longer eat dairy or wheat so that's out for me but yogurt, pretzels, cottage cheese, string cheese are also good snacks. Granola bars are good too.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    forgot to add pickles. I LOVE pickles. lol
  • Samantha1941
    Samantha1941 Posts: 99 Member
    I'm looking for good on the go snack ideas to. For my snacks I like an ounce of almonds, a mojo bar or cucumbers and bellpeppers with hummus or an apple with peanut butter.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Vegan/vegetarian sausages. Theyre soy based, depending on what brand you buy maybe 50-70 calories each, and you can eat them dipped in some sort of sauce you like. Also they just take a few seconds to heat up in a microwave. Not to mention a packet of 30 will cost you $9.
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    I make my own energy bites.

Fresh fruit (clementines are in season right now!)

Nuts.
  • locolew
    locolew Posts: 36 Member
    Frozen grapes work for me.
  • Frozen bananas, almond butter with 5 wheat crackers, walnuts & Almonds mixed, apples!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    you mentioned rice cakes, have you tried the flavored ones? There are some sour cream and onion ones that are amazing and only 70 calories for 10!
  • Reduced fat Triscuit crackers (naturally whole grain) 120 calories for 7 - topped with Laughing Cow spread - 35 calories. This is such a great snack - sometimes I have this when I get home from work to settle me down before I start preparing dinner.
  • kschhr
    kschhr Posts: 103 Member
    If you're craving carbs:
    Hawaiian sweet rolls (90kcals for one!)
    Defrosted frozen strawberries (they come out with an amazing syrup on them for no added sugar)
    Homemade fries (potato cut into fry-shapes, spritzed with olive oil, add seasoning salt and pepper, bake until they're pretty)

If you're craving protein:
    Hard boiled egg (with or without salt)
    Greek yogurt

If you're craving fat:
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Olives

If you're craving salt:
    Almonds
    Pistachios
    Pickles
    Pickled anything else (I'm obsessed with pepperoncinis..)
    Kale chips with salt and pepper

If you're not sure what you're craving:
    Down a tall glass of ice water, because you're probably mistaking thirst for hunger.