should I ditch the scale?

Options
So, I've been in MFP for almost 4 months, and lost 20ish lbs. I'm ~4lbs away from my goal weight (the one that I originally set, at least), and I'm loving the results :)

What's the problem, then? It's quite easy for me to get obsessed with numbers (I'm sure many of you can relate!). I weigh in once a week, and so far I've been quite successful. However, I've been thinking too much about my weight lately, and I just don't want it to be this way. I wanna work on my speed and endurance when running, I wanna get more serious about strength training... those are the numbers I wanna focus on!!

The question is, then... should I stop weighing myself for a while (let's say a month?). I'd still log in every day, count calories, etc...

(I sort of know the answer to this, but I need some support)

Thank you for reading!
Dani

Replies

• Hayesgang
    Options
    You are right on - put the scale away, it lies :mad:

Keep loggin food and exercise.

Trust your improved speed and endurance, lifting and the way your clothes fit - those things don't lie plus you may realize that "magic number" isn't magic after all and your goals may change after you see the other improvements.
  • StizzyP
    StizzyP Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Throw out the scale! Making weight the primary focus of getting healthy will make the task much harder, and can even be counter-productive. Seriously so. Over the first six months of changes in my eating behavior I lost about 30 pounds. for the past few months I've been on an aggressive weight training program, and as I get stronger and build muscle the pounds have been going back on. It's disheartening even though I KNOW that every day I carry less fat than the day before. As a result I vowed not o step on that damn thing again. The number is meaningless.

My advice is to set other measurable goals that are not weight related. For myself it was to shop at "normal" clothing stores instead of the big/tall men's stores. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. Now it's to do an honest pull up and have the doctor tell me I no longer need cholesterol lowering medication. And the scale has nothin to do with any of that.