GIfts- what you WANT vs. what you ACTUALLY get

Options
JoyceJoanne
JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
This question was going to be posed married men, then I got to thinking... it is something that affects everyone.
I was wrapping gifts for my Mr... things I picked out, started wondering- is 'this' really what HE wants?? He says he doesn't want anything- blah, blah, blah... what does that REALLY mean??? What do you get your spouse/partner?? How do you choose the gifts? Do they get YOU what you WANT? Or do they pick something out that they THINK you want/need?? Do they get it right?? Or FAIL miserably??

Examples of hits or misses please. :happy:

Have a wonderful holiday- what ever it is you celebrate.

Replies

• adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have no significant other :(
  • blueandigo
    Options
    I always wish for someone that will love me no matter what until the end for Christmas, but I always get video games, musical instrument, and clothes.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    There's already too much stuff around here but I'll always find room for another book or a dozen :) That said I'm a fan of practical stuff, eminently useful... ie I can jam and fruit and plan to start canning meat, so getting a case of lids for my jars is amazing, they WILL get used unlike that sweater from an aunt when I DO NOT wear sweaters, I don't care what it looks like, but I don't do sweaters, give me a fleece / fall jacket but ugh... so canning lids, more hand tools for the garden, gift certificates for sporting good shops like Cabelas or maybe Lehmans with their product line (practical hand tools that I'll use in the garden). Gimme something I'm going to use, not something that will just sit taking up space until enough time has passed for it to leave.

Hit me up for a parts list if you want to buy components for projects (little electric motors, battery trays, solar panels like out of walkway lights), I can leave a list with the electronics shop just like a gift registry at Walmart etc, but far more useful stuff.

And I'm not asking for the expensive stuff, pressure canner is going to set me back $300, dehydrator will be $200... but the utensils to use them fully? they're cheap enough :)
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    He got me a heart rate monitor and a jigsaw! Both are definitely HITS!

He can't complain when he gets a miss. I asked him what he wanted and he said he wanted socks and a new head for his electric toothbrush... I told him he won't get that from me until we're married an 50! Haha! Making it harder for myself this way though...
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    LOL - saw a gorgeous pair of swimming trunks for my 30 year old son yesterday - sent him a photo, and the reply comes back....."I really need undies please".....
    Now there was many years that he would have been disgusted if I or anyone else bought him undies for xmas!! Saying that he (and his girlfriend) is also getting return flights from Aus to NZ, and two scuba dives for each so the undies is just to have something under the tree....

I have made it VERY clear to all my nearest and dearest that the only gifts I want is goats, chickens or pigs for World Vision villages - I do not want any more hand lotion, or chocolates, or silly ornaments to clutter my house!!
  • healthyfitglutenfreebug
    Options
    I actually get diddly squat... in saying that i brought both our presents yesterday mine was 3 times as expensive as his.
    But i figure I have to go out buy it and wrap it so i deserve it... AND yes it's what I wanted LOL

We have never really been big gift buyers for each other so he isn't a scrooge... haha if we want something we just buy it when we want it. We tend to try and make a big deal for our kids instead.

MERRY CHRISTMAS MFP!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • JoyceJoanne
    Options
    Soooo.... underwear in your stockings??? :tongue:
  • sunnydays33
    sunnydays33 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    We try to give 'memories' (haha, that sounds awesome)

We love to travel and will pick out things for each other to do while on vacay, he can always win with some swimming/snorkling adventure and I can always win with a wine tasting or live music.

This year we'll be at at home, so we are going to a new Art Studio where you BYOW and then have a painting party!

Less stuff and more adventures!!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is very good he knows I love jewelry and he always gets me that and now he finally "gets" what "style" (big and bold) and he loves to spoil but he will always find something to also get me that I "need" - last year it was kitchen knives...and I did really need them, so I was appreciative.

But I really want......................an engagement ring! So I have to wait for that...:indifferent:

And hebuys himself whatever he wants, but I always pay attention and try to find things he mentions and work around it and get him something he totally loves.
  • skittybang
    skittybang Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS wanted a button maker. He got me a home beer brewing kit.

He said he couldn't find the button maker. I LOVE the beer kit more!!!

This is why I don't ask for gifts.... My so knows me and it shows.
  • JoyceJoanne
    Options
    ...and yet noone addressed underwear in the stockings.... hahha

I'm not talking about cute little Victoria's Secret cheekies for me to wear in HIS stocking :bigsmile: :tongue: :devil: ... I'm talking regular ol' Hanes boxer briefs in his.... :ohwell: