Am I just being overly sensitive?

Options

Replies

• RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Yup. That is a bit overly sensitive. My guess, you felt like you did as good of a job as you would have at the gym. They didn't validate it. Realistically, they could probably never know that and were just making an observation.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    SO's can be idiots sometimes! NO he didnt mean anything by it...but I get dumb remarks like that from my hubby too!!!!????!!!! Its annoying dont even sweat it! Some videos/or at home work out can be killer!
  • brybre0413
    brybre0413 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    use the same line on him next time you have sex.

My favorite MFP advice EVER!!!

2nd
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is quality not quantity. Maybe he was expecting you to be occupied for longer and when you weren't he was just surprised. You are being way too sensitive and that would make me feel like I had to walk on egg shells. It seems hurtful because you were proud of your accomplishment, but next time invite him to do it with you and remind him it wasn't long. He will understand then.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Over reacting a tad

You know they have a tendancy to speak without thinking
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Interesting.....

The OP NEVER used a word the specified the sex of her SO. She referred to the person as "they" and a good majority referred to the SO as a he. And some answered were even geared towards the response being typically male.
  • souper5
    Options

Hahahahahahahaha!
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options

LOL!

If you told him it was one of the hardest workouts, that should solve it. He may be just wondering why your workout has been shorter than other days. IMO, no big deal.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....

The OP NEVER used a word the specified the sex of her SO. She referred to the person as "they" and a good majority referred to the SO as a he. And some answered were even geared towards the response being typically male.

very good point! I will be the first to admit I did assume male....
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....

I noticed that too, but I don't like using "they" as a singular pronoun, so I defaulted to "he" since I didn't know the sex of the SO. Regardless, I don't believe this is a male/female thing. It's a problem with projecting and making assumptions about what someone else is saying.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I think your being overly sensitive but I in turn understand where it stimmed from. You worked out the hardest you had done and you were proud and then you were pretty much told in a subconcious why that it wasn't good enough. But to take up for your SO alittle...Take it from someone who is married to the king of wrong words lol I am sure he didnt mean it at all to be mean. He was probably wondering if you were ok...and thats how men tend to inquire..it's weird i know....lol

Oh and the sex line...PRICELESS!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I agree that you're being overly sensitive. Although my snarky and dirty side would have said, "YOU of all people should know you can get a great workout in under 15 minutes!" Which might have lead to him proving it. And more calories would have been burned.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Interesting.....

I guess people aren't going to assume that the OP is something other than straight. Either way it's none of our business....
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You could ask just to make sure, but you could take it as the opposite of bursting your bubble - you know how hard you worked out, and that is the important thing...he pointed out that it didnt seem to take long...so now you know that you have good workout that you can do and fit in when you are shorter on time. look at it that way.

30 day shred is what 20 min at a time to start? that is a hell of a workout but doesn't take too long

maybe you were feeling guilty because you did that workout instead of going to the gym - if that is the case dont! you COULD have skipped the gym and not done anything!

you did great, that is the bottom line! :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Your motivation & focus needs to be internal to succeed.

Don't let any real or perceived negativity distract you from your goals.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    If you're certain he didn't mean anything by it then you are being hypersensitive. Maybe he's trying to motivate you to work harder in his own way. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a habitual issue.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options

^hahaha good one!!! lol
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

^^^ Winner.

Seriously, if it's a pattern of behavior that condescending and making you feel bad, confront him. if he's normally a mean spirited a-hole, it's time to trade up.

But if it's meant in the spirit of helping, and coming from a loving place, then write it off or confront him. You know him much better than anyone else here. I can see myself saying something like that to my wife to encourage my wife to have a longer workout (cuz my workouts are minimum 30 minutes... 10 minutes for me is barely enough time for a warm up).

Either way, I think you should use the same line on him next time you have sex.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think you are being overly sensitive. He said "that wasn't long." 10-15 minutes really is not long - but it can be long enough to get a little burn, for sure.

If he had said, "that wasn't good," or "that was useless," then you'd have a legitimate beef with him.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'd say overly sensitive. You can do A LOT in 15 minutes. It all depends on intensity. If you're doing non-stop movement, then you had a good workout! Sometimes all you got is 15 minutes. So in the end, props to you for getting it done.