Unconventional Christmas dinner?

_Ben
_Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
Anyone else having/or had an unconventional dinner. Typically my family does the whole ham or turkey dinner, but this year we are doing something different. Its only going to my mom, stepdad, my sister, my gf and me, so my mom asked me to make crab legs for dinner. Im really excited because I love crab legs, but still, a bit unconventional. I will still get to have a traditional dinner with my dads family, so dont worry about me; but I was wondering if anyone else has had or is goign to have an unconventional dinner

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    We never have a "traditional" Christmas dinner. We used to have paella every year but now we mix it up and my parents always make some fabulous gourmet dinner. This year it is shrimp and grits.
  • carriedavis77
    carriedavis77 Posts: 141 Member
    We always do a potluck for Christmas... no turkey, ham etc cause we just had it a month ago fro Thanksgiving :)

Last year we did lasagna... my mom made a full fat "bad for you" kind and I brought my "healthy" option! Both were hits!

This year she's doing a horrificly yummy deep fried chimi changa thingies... and I'm bringing healthy chilli! I may have to sneak one of her mexican things though... >.>
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    I've been thinking about making crab legs for our dinner too since it will just me my husband and I. My only problem is that they are $17 a pound here. We'll see what happens when I go to the store later today.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    My sister-in-laws family always does something not traditional - chinese, lasagna, tamales, etc. I guess you would say that is their tradition.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    our is different every year. this year my mom decided to do "surf and turf" so steak and shrimp, scallops, or lobster. sometimes we just do snacky stuff, sometimes turkey. Just depends on our mood that year.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    italian...but is actually my traditional xmas dinner...maybe untraditional to others...
  • Steaks on the grill this year in lieu of the traditional holiday roast beast.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    We live in Arizona and are having company from South Carolina, so we are having Mexican food; homemade tamales, enchiladas, Christmas fruit salad, and flan for dessert.

I am substituting vegetable shortening for the lard and going easy on the cheese!

I think that's fairly unconventional :-)

After my folks divorced, my mom always made lasagna for Christmas, so that was "conventional" for us.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    My sister-in-law does prime rib and lobster tails which is fine by me because I love both!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    We've never really done the ham dinner thing. Growing up, with Mom working full time (single parent), the meal had to be fairly simple so she'd usually make a lasagna ahead of time and just heat it up. We'd had some sides to make it a full meal and of course pies for dessert. At some point, the meal changed to stir-fry so that's what we're having again this year. We all pitch in and cut up veggies then stand around and chat while my brother cooks it. There will still be dessert but just one custard pie and some sugar cookies. Oh and of course the spiked egg nogbefore dinner. :)
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    While it's not traditional to others, it's traditional to us; every year we have a full blown out seafood/fish feast. It's a traditiion in italian families and I love it ! :D
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    I've been thinking about making crab legs for our dinner too since it will just me my husband and I. My only problem is that they are $17 a pound here. We'll see what happens when I go to the store later today.

We can get snow crab legs for $10 a pound or so
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Im a firm believer in non-traditional, non-conformist changes to things that have always been a ritual to do over-and-over.

We are gonna break out the BBQ Grill and the Smoker.... Gonna be smokin' up some ribs and chicken, will grill up prime rib steaks, vegetables skewered with an herbal olive-oil, homemade slaw with a variety of vegetables, typical picklings and appetizers on the side (gotta have deviled eggs!), alcohol and more alcohol...

and desserts for him, as well as for myself....
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Crab legs for Christmas sound amazing.

We're not doing traditional either, but hardly ever do. I don't like ham (too salty) and turkey is a pain in the butt to make in my tiny kitchen.

Instead, we're doing:

Appetizers:
    Sweet Potato and Turkey Meatballs + Cranberry Chutney
    Slow roasted tomatoes + homemade bread for dipping
    Phyllo cups + goat cheese, beets and beet greens

Main Course:

Braised/pulled pork with apricots
    Roasted carrots and parsnips with carrot green pesto
    Herbed mashed potatoes

Dessert:
    My mother-in-law is handling this. YAY