Picky Eater!

Options
I'm having a major problem! I really do want to eat healthy, but most things I just don't like or can't eat. I like some fruits and veggies and other healthy things, but when it comes to most recipes and other health foods, I usually think they're disgusting. I've always been picky when it comes to any type of food, but I would like to know if I try to eat some of these things if I will eventually start to like it.

Example: I'm eating this non-fat Greek yogurt with berries; the berries are great, but the yogurt is absolutely disgusting. Maybe because I absolutely hate ANY type of yogurt, but I think that I should like it because it is healthy and maybe I'm just not used to it... ugh... all I want to do is pour a bowl of frosted flakes right about now!

I know that this is pretty vague, but I'm not really sure how to even explain it... I guess my question is, did any other people absolutely hate healthy food too in the beginning?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I never could eat raw veggies. The crunch made me literally throw up if I ate more than one or two bites. Just gross. Now I like salads, and raw veggies on my sandwiches. I just kept trying, and now I love a lot of them, although I still can't eat raw broccoli or carrots.

Most of the time when people say they don't like a certain food, they've only had it prepared one way. Try different things. To say you don't like healthy foods doesn't make any sense, because there is such a HUGE variety of healthy food out there that surely you like at least some of them. Experiment with different recipes and ways of cooking. Think about what it is about certain foods you don't like. Is it the texture? Is it the lack of sugar? What? Then you can look for ways to cook those foods that will be more satisfying to your palate. And yes, sometimes it is simply a matter of getting used to things, like me and the texture of raw veggies.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just eat the berries then. But you'll have to each much more of them to get the calories you need. The berries are prob better for you then the yogurt anyway. If you are a fruit and veggie fan, I suggest reading Eat to Live. It may not be for you but it doesn't hurt to rent it from the library to find out.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! That really helps to know that sometimes it takes getting used to and I never thought about preparing the foods I like in different ways. I will definitely try that!
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    Thanks, I will rent it! :)
  • ajbeans
    Options
    Thank you so much! That really helps to know that sometimes it takes getting used to and I never thought about preparing the foods I like in different ways. I will definitely try that!

Yep. Just as an example, take asparagus. You can roast it, boil it, or grill it, with a million combinations of seasonings. You can bread it, or not. You can slather it in cheese. You can cut it up and serve it in pasta primavera. And there's a HUGE difference between canned asparagus and fresh. I personally cannot stand the canned variety, but maybe you'd prefer it over fresh.

And baby spinach. You can eat it fresh in a salad or on a sandwich. You can shred it and cook it into casseroles, meatloaf, pasta dishes, or anything else where you have a mixture. You can puree it in a fruit smoothie and barely taste it.

I suggest going to www.allrecipes.com and inputting some ingredients you want to try, and see what recipes come out. You'll be surprised at how much you can find.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of healthy eaters that don't like greek yogurt. It would be easier to make suggestions if you could post a few foods that you like (healthy or not). You can make a healthy version of most foods.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I hear yah! Im picky too. Some things its the taste, some its the texture. I've been like this since I was about 4 years old apparently. Its getting better though. I keep trying. I sliced some sweet potatoes thin and fried them in olive oil and ate those. They were pretty good! Healthy- not fried! But its a start. Yesterday I made a yogurt and orange juice smoothie and added some banana. That was HUGE for me, since I hate bananas and didn't like orange juice until a couple months ago!

Keep trying different ways of preparing foods. Even if it isn't the healthiest way in the beginning, at least it gets you used to the taste of the food so that you can eat it prepared healthier.

Just so I don't get flamed for this......I am NOT saying you should deep fry your veggies! Bleh!
  • ajbeans
    Options
    I know a lot of healthy eaters that don't like greek yogurt. It would be easier to make suggestions if you could post a few foods that you like (healthy or not). You can make a healthy version of most foods.

This too. And personally, I like full-fat yogurt better than nonfat. You can get it flavored, or if there's a flavored protein powder you like, you can mix it in that way (I like chocolate myself). I've found that if I buy frozen cherries and thaw them in a bowl, they release lots of juice that I can then mix into the yogurt and the whole thing just tastes sweet and yummy. But Greek yogurt does have a strong flavor, and it's not for everyone, so if you try it a few different ways and still don't like it, move on.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    try mixing a good squeeze of honey into it, it will take away the 'tang' and you can gradually reduce the amount you use :)
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I use to hate veggies- i only ate carrots, corn, lettuce & spinach (didn't like them, just tolerated them). Then I became a vegetarian about a year ago and i thought, well i better train myself to like some vegetables. Yup, train. You can acquire tastes- like coffee and red wine, i hated them when i was younger now i love them. So i figured i could do it with veggies too. Like other people said you have to keep experimenting. Try them prepared different ways. I also found trying things in small doses and mixed in with things i like worked well. I think there are some things that i will never like but other things i went from hating to tolerating to enjoying.
  • stormystrickland
    Options

Fruits and vegetables that I like:
    Zucchini (only cooked)
    Corn
    Tomatoes (but only plain, not on salad or burgers or anything like that)
    Broccoli
    Lettuce
    Kiwi
    Bananas
    Grapes
    Strawberries
    Mangoes
    Green beans
    Potatoes

Hates:
    Watermelon
    Oranges
    Grapefruits
    Cantelope
    Any type of melon, really.
    Cauliflower
    Peas
    Any beans except for green beans.
    carrots
    Squash

There are a lot of other vegetables I don't like, but I didn't want to make a long list. About other foods, I don't eat a lot of red meat. I HATE ground beef and any kind of fish, and I eat chicken every day. I absolutely love macaroni & cheese, mashed potatoes, and corn. I don't like marinara sauce either, and most weird sauces that you dip things in or put on things I don't like. I eat alfredo sauce and caesar and ranch dressing and that's about it.

I guess everyone's right. I just need to find some recipes to alter the foods that I like so it doesn't feel like I'm eating the same things over again. The bad thing is that I'm in college so I don't have a lot of time to prepare many things, which is why it is easier to open things (yogurt or hummus) and put it on things, rather than cook. I just hate it. lol
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    try mixing a good squeeze of honey into it, it will take away the 'tang' and you can gradually reduce the amount you use :)

Thanks! That's the part I hated about it! I'm definitely going to pick some honey up from the store today.
  • stormystrickland
    Options

Yep. Just as an example, take asparagus. You can roast it, boil it, or grill it, with a million combinations of seasonings. You can bread it, or not. You can slather it in cheese. You can cut it up and serve it in pasta primavera. And there's a HUGE difference between canned asparagus and fresh. I personally cannot stand the canned variety, but maybe you'd prefer it over fresh.

And baby spinach. You can eat it fresh in a salad or on a sandwich. You can shred it and cook it into casseroles, meatloaf, pasta dishes, or anything else where you have a mixture. You can puree it in a fruit smoothie and barely taste it.

I suggest going to www.allrecipes.com and inputting some ingredients you want to try, and see what recipes come out. You'll be surprised at how much you can find.

Thanks for the amazing advice! :)
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a picky eater as well. I don't eat fish much (maybe once every other week) and eat little to no red meat (roast sometimes). I found looking at what other successful people eat (at their diaries) has helped me with some ideas. I like making casseroles with eggs, spanish, little cheese and any other veggie you might like. I find putting veggies in stuff makes it easier to get down. Or cooking veggies with some sort of sauce. I like soy sauce so I cook broccoli, carrots, zucchini (not a whole lot of taste, but I can get it down) with some "butter" spray and add some soy sauce at the end. Makes it very easy to eat with that flavor. And there are many more sauces you can try as well!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    i found blended veggie soups were a great way for me to get my veggie intake! cause often it was the texture of certain veggies that i didn't like. plus my fav thing is dipping a sandwich into a bowl of soup.
  • busyPK
    Options
    OK you are not as picky as I though which is GREAT! Just focus on the fruits and veggies you like and don't worry about the rest. Have either a banana, strawberries or grapes daily as snacks and even a side to your lunch or dinner. Try and eat a veggie with lunch and dinner. Small salad and just measure out your dressing so you don't go overboard. I don't like light or fat free dressing so I use regular ranch, but keep it to 1-2tbsp. You can have broccoli so many ways - steamed, raw, cooked with spices or sauces! Corn can go into many different meals as well and be on or off the cob! Grean beans and potatos can be a great side to a nice piece of chicken or fish. You can put some spices on them and cut them up and cook in the oven for a very tasty side. And you said you love mac&cheese, try looking up some healthy versions. You can use healthy pastas for the mac and then different cheeses and if you keep you portions under control and work out you can totally eat you some mac&cheese! :bigsmile:
  • busyPK
    Options
    i found blended veggie soups were a great way for me to get my veggie intake! cause often it was the texture of certain veggies that i didn't like. plus my fav thing is dipping a sandwich into a bowl of soup.

Totally forgot about this - I always have some soups on hand for an easy meal with veggies. I typically get a veggie soup or chicken noodle and eat it for lunch with a fruit and crackers or something similar.
  • bewitched2982
    bewitched2982 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Speaking on the greek yogurt issue..when I first tried it I also HATED it. But someone recommended the yoplait brand with fruit on the bottom. It's not tangy at all and the texture is not quite as odd as the first greek yogurt I tried. So, if you are still interested in the greek yogurt (it's so high in protein!) you should give it a try!
    Keep trying, you will find healthier options you like! :)
  • stormystrickland
    Options
    I totally forgot about the soup and sandwich idea! I'm definitely doing that soon. Thanks everyone for all of the help! And about the greek yogurt, the texture of mine reminded me of cottage cheese...which I don't like at all and it was tangy. I think I will try the other brand you are talking about. My brand had something to do with greek gods and it looks super cool so I got it. lol
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to eat foods you hate just because they are healthy. But don't use "I'm a picky eater" as an excuse to down a bag of doritos for dinner.

Try new foods. If you don't like them, try others. Eat healthy among the foods you DO like. It can be done.