african american hair and exercise???

Options

Replies

• therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank God I'm not relaxed anymore...sweet freedom.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    bump
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    I know right?! lol :happy:
  • BeingJamela365
    BeingJamela365 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

How was your journey to natural?
  • FinerthanB433
    Options
    I was natural for over a year and while some love it, I HATED it! I went back to permed hair about two months ago! For me and working out, this has worked the BEST! I sweat a lot, but my hair is in a ponytail while I workout, and then I wear it down afterward with NO problem, and my hair is VERY thick! I am so glad I went back to a perm, because my hair is so thick that at natural, it took me HOURS to do it every morning, and I still was not happy with it. Natural is not for everyone! If you are considering going natural, I would do it because it is right for you, not because it is popular. I did it because it was popular, and I would never do it again! Find out what is right for you, and do that!
  • canegrovern
    canegrovern Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I shaved my hair off and kept running but I now wear my hair in a kinky twist style when my hair grow back i will be doing two strand twist. I am less concern of how my hair look and care more about not getting high blood pressure and not becoming diabetic because of being obese.
  • chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    thanks for all the comments so far. it's sounding like the trick is to let it dry in the pony tail or wrapped up. (since i do not have time to blow dry it and wouldn't want to daily anyway)

when wrapping it up, is the scarf knot in the front or back???
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    HA! I just straightened my hair yesterday. I can't do anything with it, it sucks. I go au natural...and embrace my curly q's.
    I only straighten my hair 2-3 times a year for a few days at a time...

With straight hair I can't sweat at all lol.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I have really coarse texture hair. So to an extent, I can relate a little. I have had relaxers in my hair and I have to blowout my hair before I iron it. When my hair is "did", I like to use those dry shampoos to freshen it up. They work really well. My hair is too short to wear it curly right now :-( You can wear wide cotton headbands while at the gym to whick away sweat and keep those roots straight.
  • may5220
    may5220 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I am natural and after working out, I will put my hair in a puff or a bun, depending on if I have twists or braids or wigging it.
  • Loveebbs
    Loveebbs Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am transitioning to natural hair but before I started to transition, I just wrapped my hair and then put it in a scarf/bandana or throw it in a ponytail.
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have natural hair which is shoulder length and what I do most of the time is just pull it in a tight ponytail during the workout and put a scarf on it immediately after I'm done. It usually keeps it flat through the shower and everything. The only thing is that I've got to wash it every 5-7 days b/c I sweat so much. So I can't do my usual every 2 weeks thing like before.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I have relaxed fairly long hair. When I workout, I just put it back in a ponytail and let it completely dry before taking the pony tail out and its fine. However, this only works when my relaxer is still holding up. If it's time for me to get a relaxer, its a mess. I also try not to run/walk outside during the summer months b/c I will have to wash it more than once or twice a week due to the heat and humidity. Good luck!
  • ASIACREE
    Options
    My hair is natural, I usually tie my locks back in a ponytail to workout.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a perm. Luckily I dont sweat much. I looked into it and apparently its hereditary...my mom doesnt sweat much either
  • kaymac1908
    kaymac1908 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I haven't relaxed in almost exactly 1 year. I don't do anything special. It is not quite long enough for a ponytail yet, so I let it hang during my workouts (some puffiness at the roots but it is not that big of a deal). Sometimes I wear a scarf or hat if I am anticipating major sweat and I am out in public, but not usually. If I walk outdoors, the breeze really helps keep the sweating to a minimum. I blow dry straight again and lightly press if necessary immediately after my shower; Scarf at night and flatiron in the morning. I couldn't have used this much heat when I was relaxed but it works well for me now. No issues. I should note that I live in a dry climate so that may make a difference. I am going to try the "Carol's Daughers" product.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Find what works for you and keep exercising ladies!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    bump
  • msemejuru
    msemejuru Posts: 229
    Options
    I put it in a pony tail or hair clip, anything to keep it off my neck. I work out at night so work hair won't be a problem. When I am done I comb through it and put it in rollers. It's fine by morning but I do have to wash it every 4 days to prevent salt build up. I co-wash (wash using conditioner only) so I haven't noticed any drying of my hair. I don't know what the results would be if I used shampoo.
  • jaisaansmommy
    Options
    I went natural in October and have no regrets. I don't have to worry about my hair after the gym, I just wash and go once I get home.
  • ShardeRenee
    ShardeRenee Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I JUST POSTED ABOUT THIS AND ONLY 1 PERSON RESPONED. I AM GLAD I FOUND THIS ONE.