any good cook books or healthy meal planning books out there

Options
Hi everyone I just joined and wondered if there were any good meal planning guides or cookbooks out there that has helped you out with planning healthy meals??
I'm good with what you should have for dinner but I'm just running out of ideas to feed my family and it's usually the same old cooking??

Any suggestions? KT

Replies

• natabugg
    Options
    Hi everyone I just joined and wondered if there were any good meal planning guides or cookbooks out there that has helped you out with planning healthy meals??
    I'm good with what you should have for dinner but I'm just running out of ideas to feed my family and it's usually the same old cooking??

Any suggestions? KT
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I really like Cooking Light magazine. The recipes are cut in terms of fat, but not all the way down, so you can serve them to guests without warning them they are eating "good-er for them food":wink:

There are some great recipes here, as well.

Also, you can experiment with some of your older recipes, cutting the fat yourself. I've noticed that in all of my "old" recipes, I can cut the added fat by at least half and not miss it.
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a major fan of www.allrecipies.com
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I like Eating Well magazine - never subscribed, but they have most their recipes on-line. I usually do a couple substitutes to make them even healthier: whole wheat flour (or ww pastry flour) for white flour, apple sauce for oils (in baking), removing all butter - using spray or olive oil instead, etc.

The Moosewood cookbook is good as well.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Body For Life recipes. I bought a book, but I think you can go to their website too.

http://bodyforlife.com/nutrition/recipesIndex.asp
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I like using www.recipezaar.com- they have tons of recipes and an option to see only low-fat or light recipes in a search. All the recipes on the site have the nutrition information posted so it's really convienant and helpful. Lots of yummy stuff on there and you can safe the recipes in your own online cookbook and even post your own recipes for safe keeping.

I also like www.cdkitchen.com- very similar but does not include all nutrition facts with recipes which is a down side.
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just got "Holly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly Meals: Quick And Healthy Recipes You Can Make in Advance" from Amazon (after trying it from the library) and we are really enjoying the recipes in it. I've been making a recipe each night and we eat half right away and the other half goes into the freezer for another night. My freezer is pretty full! There are alot of just basic family friendly type casseroles and such which is perfect around here. Anyway, maybe check to see if your library has it, or other healthy cooking cookbooks as well!

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!! :flowerforyou:
    Niccole