Exercise Calories

Options
I feel absolutely dumb asking this...But I don't understand the concept of eating the calories you burn.

I thought that if you want to lose you shed pounds then burn calories, but if you wish to maintain then consume those burned calories? :ohwell:

Replies

• dinaanne
    Options
    I feel absolutely dumb asking this...But I don't understand the concept of eating the calories you burn.

I thought that if you want to lose you shed pounds then burn calories, but if you wish to maintain then consume those burned calories? :ohwell:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

This will explain it all. Let us know if you have any other questions!
  • dinaanne
    Options
    Thanks. This is good information, alot to absorb, but helpful.
    Oyyy... I am showing my dumbness now but at least no one knows who I am so here I go...

Does this mean then that as long as I CUT my calories by 500 a day, but stay within the range I should eat, that eating the calories I BURN will help me to burn the fat and potentially be able to burn 1 pound a week (1pound = 3500 calories ? ) Oyyy why is this so confusing?:sick:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Thanks. This is good information, alot to absorb, but helpful.
    Oyyy... I am showing my dumbness now but at least no one knows who I am so here I go...

Does this mean then that as long as I CUT my calories by 500 a day, but stay within the range I should eat, that eating the calories I BURN will help me to burn the fat and potentially be able to burn 1 pound a week (1pound = 3500 calories ? ) Oyyy why is this so confusing?:sick:

The short answer is yes. As long as your total caloric consumption is around 3500 calories less than your total calories used, then you should lose around 1 pound per week.
  • dinaanne
    Options
    Hehe - How many calories is advil. I worked my brain too hard. Just kidding.

Thank you!:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    it's not so bad once you get used to it d.

There's a lot to learn, but once you get the basics down, a lot of it becomes common sense.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    In short- no offense to the AWESOME work Banks has done to explain all of this- MFP takes your BMR- that amount of energy (calories) it takes your body just to live- i.e. developed for coma patiens; then it factors in your average daily activity- not counting any exercise. So if you sit at a desk 12 hours a day you're sedentary, but if you're a mail carrier who walks their route, you're moderately active. This sets your daily Active Metabolic Rate. For me, my BMR is around 1300-1400, I'm only lightly active, therefore, my AMR is set at 1700 calories a day. MFP puts my daily calories at 1200, giving me a 500 calories deficit in a day, 3500=1lb in a week. Now, if I exercise, while I will increase my calorie deficit, the prevailing wisdom is that if your calorie deficit is too extreme, it will send your metabolism into starvation mode. This is different for everyone!! So, you should eat back most, if not all of your exercise calories to maintain that 500 calorie deficit per day. Now, this differs for people with a lot to lose versus not so much to lose.

Hope this helps!
  • dinaanne
    Options
    I agree. Alot to learn but so worth it.
  • dinaanne
    Options
    With great help from you all this makes sense thanks. It is so funny because my mind wants to tell me that this is wrong. But over the last two days I have tried to eat back the calories that I exercised, and amazing, I have lost half a pound. Thanks!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    In short- no offense to the AWESOME work Banks has done to explain all of this- MFP takes your BMR- that amount of energy (calories) it takes your body just to live- i.e. developed for coma patiens; then it factors in your average daily activity- not counting any exercise. So if you sit at a desk 12 hours a day you're sedentary, but if you're a mail carrier who walks their route, you're moderately active. This sets your daily Active Metabolic Rate. For me, my BMR is around 1300-1400, I'm only lightly active, therefore, my AMR is set at 1700 calories a day. MFP puts my daily calories at 1200, giving me a 500 calories deficit in a day, 3500=1lb in a week. Now, if I exercise, while I will increase my calorie deficit, the prevailing wisdom is that if your calorie deficit is too extreme, it will send your metabolism into starvation mode. This is different for everyone!! So, you should eat back most, if not all of your exercise calories to maintain that 500 calorie deficit per day. Now, this differs for people with a lot to lose versus not so much to lose.

Hope this helps!

I'm never offended at an attempt to help out a fellow MFP'er. :happy:

Even if (and maybe especially if) it proves me wrong. I might not like it, but I'll get over it.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options

Even if (and maybe especially if) it proves me wrong. I might not like it, but I'll get over it.

You, wrong? Never!:smile: Your research and obvious understanding deserves great respect!:flowerforyou:
  • qatarsessions
    qatarsessions Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Eating back all my exercise calories isn't working for me. Two reasons might be that I don't have very much to loose at this point (less than 10 lbs) and that I just can't seem to get that much down in one day on healthy food.
    I usually get between 500-700 calories per day of exercise. I wear a HR monitor so I know this is right. That puts me needing to eat between 1800-2000 calories per day. No problem on cookies and junk but not very easy to do on healthy food.

I try to eat at least 1/2 of my exercise calories back. Doing that is seeming to work for me.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different some people do and some people dont eat them..I do not...however I also never let myself go hungry if I were to eat hem I would choose good healthy options.
  • nickybr38
    nickybr38 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

I think he/she was more offended you'd think you were being called long-winded. HAHA