Do you think all restaurants should be required to provide n

Options

Replies

• Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I also don't think it would be that big of a burden for small business owners. The ingredients are all labeled with nutri data, just have a week where everytime someone makes a dish have them measure out the quantities and log it! I create every recipe i make and save it to my recipes on this site, it takes an extra 5 minutes each time i prepare a new meal.
    You know they can't just use an online tool like MFP, right? OMG. And this would open them up to liability if the info was wrong. I don't think you understand the ramifications.

It's adding. It's no burden at all. They know how much food they're using. It's just a matter of figuring out the calories. And I don't even think it's possible to sue a restaurant for not having accurate calorie counts.

My favorite restaurant cuts their steaks fresh every day, and it's obviously not measured to the exact milligram. They once had nutritional facts on their website, as most restauarants do, but someone took the food home, measured the calories, and threatened to sue because they were not completely accurate.
  • 2012Kristin
    2012Kristin Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be required to, but it sure would be nice if they did!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    Options
    Common sense says that a restaurant is not going to try that hard and if they do it will be advertised some how.
    But surely that's the whole point?

Restaurants don't try that hard.

If they were forced to publish nutritional information on their menus, I bet they'd try a hell of a lot harder.

This is not about helping one individual person who happens to be on a diet at one point, this is about educating an entire nation that is getting fatter and unhealthier with every generation.

I get what you are saying completely. I agree, if they had to publish the nutritional data they would generally produce better quality food. I just don't think that it should be a government mandated issue.
    Let's be clear now....high calorie does not equate to low quality. Foods high in calories are not inherently bad for you either.

Absolutely not. I didn't mean to give that impression at all. In reality calories are a very minor part of nutrition.
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I don't think they should be required to do it, especially in the case of non chain type restaurants. That is just too much intrusion into a small businesses operations. However, I would be more inclined to patronize restaurants that had this type of information easily available. It would be good customer service in my opinion and may encourage the restaurant to make some healthy exchanges in the way they prepare they food.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    What one restaurant here says is "for a typical 100g serving" or whatnot. So that's not to say every meal is exactly X calories, it's simply a general guideline.

I think that every restaurant, every food item you buy should have nutritional information. If we can plug a recipe in, so can they. It's frustrating when someone comes home with soup or something from a bakery and you have no idea what it is. I'd rather know and plan accordingly.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You guys may get your wish, at least in Canada. The CRFA is "talking" about making it mandatory for every restaurant to provide their nutritional information.

I find it funny that you all say it's so easy to track the info, when IT'S NOT. Most restaurants do not have their own suppliers to make sure EVERYTHING is pre-packaged, weighed, etc. On top of that, they don't have the recipe books that the chains have for training which will say something like, "take chicken breast #17, top with *insert chain name here*'s special sauce (#24), heat for 12 minutes & serve over #36." If you thought chain food was fresh... well, that's another topic.

Also, you can't just do it yourself, and the thousands it costs to hire food scientists & have all the lab work done. It's far too much stress on small businesses.

I'm going to burst many bubbles here, and for that, I'm sorry. Every cook is different, even at chains when they should be watching portions, they're not, which makes the accuracy of the information provided...not so accurate. And in a fast-paced environment, they're not back in the kitchen weighing your food & making sure you only get 1 tbsp of that "200 calorie per tbsp" sauce, instead of 3. It's a ball park figure give or take a few hundred calories.

Just practice moderation like the rest of us & stop being so anal, or go home & make your own.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I find the concept of not having to tell someone what you're selling them mindboggling.

And those that think it's too much of a burden?
    How can you even run a business if you don't know what you're selling?
  • GeoJenna223
    GeoJenna223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I also don't think it would be that big of a burden for small business owners. The ingredients are all labeled with nutri data, just have a week where everytime someone makes a dish have them measure out the quantities and log it! I create every recipe i make and save it to my recipes on this site, it takes an extra 5 minutes each time i prepare a new meal.
    You know they can't just use an online tool like MFP, right? OMG. And this would open them up to liability if the info was wrong. I don't think you understand the ramifications.

Do you think every time you eat a salad at Chili's it has exactly 600 cals, 6g of fat and 21 g of protein because that is what it says on their website. Or every banana you eat has exactly the amount of calories MFP says it has? It won't be exactly accurate. It can't be, unless every ingredient is weighed every time. I know they can't use MFP. They would probably have to hire a consulting company, but who cares. There should be no liability for +/- 10% of the values, but yea, if they are reporting something is 500cals for a meal and its 1000, well then there is a problem and I think they should be liable.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

It's adding. It's no burden at all. They know how much food they're using. It's just a matter of figuring out the calories. And I don't even think it's possible to sue a restaurant for not having accurate calorie counts.

My favorite restaurant cuts their steaks fresh every day, and it's obviously not measured to the exact milligram. They once had nutritional facts on their website, as most restauarants do, but someone took the food home, measured the calories, and threatened to sue because they were not completely accurate.

There's a world of difference between threatening to sue and filing a lawsuit. We know that nothing has a calorie count that is 100% accurate all the time. So if you can sue over that then every person has a valid lawsuit against every food service company. I don't think it works that way.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    someone took the food home, measured the calories, and

They had a nutritional lab at their house? :huh: :noway:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I find the concept of not having to tell someone what you're selling them mindboggling.

And those that think it's too much of a burden?
    How can you even run a business if you don't know what you're selling?
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

That is exactly the point.

Yes, in a restaurant where they don't have a clue what they're giving me, I'll take a plain grilled salmon or chicken salad. Yet again. Yawn.

Personally, I'd rather give my custom to a restaurant which gives some thought to the wellbeing of their customers and manages to produce something a bit more imaginative, which can be eaten with confidence by those of us who care about keeping our frankly awesome bodies just the way they are! :bigsmile:

EDITED FOR SPELLING
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    You guys may get your wish, at least in Canada. The CRFA is "talking" about making it mandatory for every restaurant to provide their nutritional information.

I find it funny that you all say it's so easy to track the info, when IT'S NOT. Most restaurants do not have their own suppliers to make sure EVERYTHING is pre-packaged, weighed, etc. On top of that, they don't have the recipe books that the chains have for training which will say something like, "take chicken breast #17, top with *insert chain name here*'s special sauce (#24), heat for 12 minutes & serve over #36." If you thought chain food was fresh... well, that's another topic.

Also, you can't just do it yourself, and the thousands it costs to hire food scientists & have all the lab work done. It's far too much stress on small businesses.

I'm going to burst many bubbles here, and for that, I'm sorry. Every cook is different, even at chains when they should be watching portions, they're not, which makes the accuracy of the information provided...not so accurate. And in a fast-paced environment, they're not back in the kitchen weighing your food & making sure you only get 1 tbsp of that "200 calorie per tbsp" sauce, instead of 3. It's a ball park figure give or take a few hundred calories.

Just practice moderation like the rest of us & stop being so anal, or go home & make your own.

Are you really saying you that it's too much work and money to count calories? Do you see where you are?

If I can do it with a phone app I'm sure a business that's in the business of providing food can figure it out. Other companies have. I'm not saying it has to be 100% accurate, nothing ever is. I'd just like a reliable, ball park figure. That is not an impossibility for any business, no matter how small.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it should be a requirement for restaurants no matter if
    they're a chain or privately owned.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty small government type and would never advocate restaurants being forced to adhere to different nutrition standards, but I really don't know that I see anything wrong with their having to make all the information available. On the one hand, it's gotten to be a pretty widespread phenomenon without it being required, and I know I'll be more likely to eat at a place if they have the nutrition standards available, so there's the incentive right there. On the other hand, though, I really don't see a problem with the requirement. When you look at nutrition values for some things in restaurants, they're ridiculously and unnecessarily high, and people should know that. It might incentivize restaurants to start having healthier stuff available too...
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I think if not every restaurant does counts, then the restaurants that do calorie counts and nutritional info have a marketing advantage over those who don't. I know that I am far more likely to go to a place I know does counts on their food than one that doesn't. In Australia some places have started to do counts, I think for marketing reasons alone. Although some places that do counts, the calorie counts are a strong argument against eating at that location (coffee club, muffin break, etc)
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    In restaurants that do not (yet) provide nutritional information, I really appreciate when they have a "Healthy"/"Light" section on the menu, indicated by something like, "These entrees contain fewer than 600 calories." Then I can assume that the rest of the menu exceeds that, and I can confidently order anything from that area of the menu knowing that it will not completely derail my day.

Edited to add: Eating until I am satiated is one of my current goals. Eat some of your meal. Drink some water. Enjoy the conversation. And if you're still feeling hungry, then eat some more. I know that feeling when my gut is way-too-stuffed all too well, so I stop eating well before that.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    When I lived in Los Angeles, I think it was required for chains, because everything had calorie counts on it, even movie theater popcorn. I think chains should, for smaller restaurants, I can maybe see the argument that it's a burden (not that it necessarily is, but I can see the argument). I miss it, it was a great way to convince myself I didn't want something.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    This might not be considered a restaurant, but it is a chain. I went to Super Taqueria yesterday for lunch & after placing my order I asked for a nutritional information sheet to find out how many calories I would be eating (even thought I REALLY didn't want to know) & was handed a magnetic calendar for 2012 to stick on my refrigerator. Whether the cashier didn't understand what I was asking for or they don't have them, I never found out - I just walked away & waited for my order.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I definitely think ALL restaurants should be required to provide it - be in IN store or online - where it can easily be accessed! Eating out is something my family enjoys, but when I have to work hard to find ANY bit of nutritional info on a restaurant it just plain annoys me!!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Absolutely I rarely eat out but when I do it is a challenge to support the businesses that provide healthy choices with information.