Crossfit?

Options
2»

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The original poster's question was about dealing with saggy skin after weight loss. And Crossfit is not any more effective for than than any other exercise system.

You might want to talk to a holistic doctor about which foods and supplements you can take that might help tighten your skin.

Meanwhile, here are a few links you might want to look at:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/loose-skin-after-weight-loss-5-diet-tips-to-tighten-skin/

http://www.burnthefat.com/loose_skin.html

http://www.skinsheen.com/skin-nutrients-for-sagging-skin-1394.aspx
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about Crossfit. It's great when you know how to do the exercises correctly. But too often I see people practice terrible form, just so they can either blast through the reps to get to the next exercise, or break a new personal record by any means necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

^It makes me wonder: The instructors that teach them these various lifts...how the hell are they qualified?? "Who cares about slipping a disc, you got that bar up there!!"

Did you even read the summary of the video where they mention that it isn't a standard clean and jerk...?

I did, actually. Standard or not, bad form is bad form. Like I said earlier, crossfit is great when exercises are done correctly. I know a few people that are in great shape because of it.

Olympic lifts are meant to be explosive. 1 - 2 quick movements. For someone to have to hitch the weight up several times, after several failed attempts, must mean the weight is too heavy.

That's cause they are instead trying the Strongman version of the lift (you know those folks that have truck pulls and atlas stone lifts as part of their competitions). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk look at the explaination of the "Continental"

Of course you knew that this what they meant to do since you're an "Expert"

I could tell you're a die hard crossfit advocate. How am I an expert all of a sudden? Because I have some knowledge of lifts, form and technique? It's called research, slim. I learn before attempting it.

I'm talking about form and safety and how it can BE GOOD IF DONE SAFELY. But you still want to get your panties all bunched up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11A16rrtsp8
    ^Here ya go, buff guy. Here's a strong man competitor for you. Still practicing good form with heavy weight. Dumps it if he can't attempt it.

Yea, if a lift isn't being done properly then dump. You talk about research, but yet there can only be the clean and jerk not any other lift that people could be doing. I'll admit when I first saw your original clip it looked really horrible to me and others at my box, before someone pointed out that they weren't doing Olympic clean and jerks.

Oh, maybe you'd like these better:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v8ScjtYRZA&feature=related
    http://www.gustrength.com/eric-troy:clean-style-or-powerlifting-deadlift
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Building some muscle, whether it be from crossfit or following a 'bodybuilding plan, may be your best option. We can only give you options since we don't know your whole story. I was, and still am slightly, a skinny fat. I fell into the trap that I was going to bulk and spent countless hours running - which can make you lose muscle and as years go on appear less firm and toned.

You're not going to bulk up - get that out of the way right now. If you have to start with 5lb dumbbells then so be it, but work up. Look up some strength plans - or even Jamie Eason on bodybuilding (she has a few plans, some just 12 weeks). If you can try to stay away from machines ... they are less natural in body form.

Look into, and learning correct form, of squats, dead lifts, lunges, etc. Perfect them with body weight (just using your body) and slowly adding to the movement. I watched countless of instructional videos, internet research, magazines, being coached, and so forth. I've actually had trainers at my "chain gym" use me as an example or ask if i was an exercise science major, based on my level of concentration and good form.

Just remember, you're not going to bulk!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Before you try Crossfit, I would recommend you check out the YMCA.

Most YMCAs give you lots of options for fitness classes. Even the smallest YMCAs offer cardio and strength training classes at a reasonable price. They usually have good starter classes for people that are new to exercise, as well as tougher classes for those who want to push their fitness to the next level. Most YMCAs also offer personal trainers at reasonable prices.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Planet Fitness - $20 a month, usually no sign up fee (or sometimes it's $1); great hours, free training, and the 'Black Membership' allows you to use any facility.

Gold's/LA Fitness/YMCA - More expensive (which we all know doesn't mean better quality) usually charge sign up fee plus additional dues - offers classes (but you're expected to know the form/moves), trainers (but like PF not always quality/hit or miss)

Now there's plenty of other more "speciality" gyms, Crossfit, kettlebell gyms, MMA, or more peronsal bootcamp style gyms. My cousin belongs to "Punch" in Norwalk CT (not sure what she pays, but it's a bootcamp/interval circuit/crossfit combined; they do a lot of kettlebell, battle ropes, and some barbell work; along with squats, burpees, jump rope, blah blah blah.

The important thing is you find what works for you - in order to do that you have to try stuff. Doesn't matter if it's a Y or Golds, 24 Hour Fitness, Bally's, what have you - essentially they're all the same. There's some good eggs and bad ones. My issue with chain gyms is the lack of dedication/quality and turn over rate of trainers. The amount of clients they take on can sometimes be overwhelming. If you look into to someone that runs their own 'personal training/fitness' you support small business, have a more intimate relationship, and detailed work ethic.

Browse through google or your yellow pages to see what goes on nearby.
  • fitnessyeoja
    fitnessyeoja Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Many YMCAs have reduced fee or free memberships available for people that want to join, but have a low income. Very few other gyms or gym franchises will do that. The YMCAs also get involved in many community activities and help with fundraisers. So if you belong to the YMCA, at least some of the money you spend goes towards helping the community you live in.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Many but not all. The internet is free. Go to a library. Or starbucks and use your smartphone.
  • Amburglar
    Options
    Crossfit is amazing as long as you are doing the movements right and utilizing full range of motion. Scaling for current fitness ability is crucial. It definitely teaches mental strength, which is where the do or die mantra comes from....and because it's interval, high intensity training, you can see results pretty quickly. I do not recommend going rogue and doing it on your own to begin with.

If you aren't into high intensity intervals, I'd recommend weights 3-4 times a week, and high intensity cardio 4-5 days a week. Do not be afraid of weights...as women, we do not create enough testosterone to allow for bulking up.

Good luck!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about Crossfit. It's great when you know how to do the exercises correctly. But too often I see people practice terrible form, just so they can either blast through the reps to get to the next exercise, or break a new personal record by any means necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

^It makes me wonder: The instructors that teach them these various lifts...how the hell are they qualified?? "Who cares about slipping a disc, you got that bar up there!!"

That is just nasty. I am not a "certified" trainer and I would never let someone do that.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. i enjoyed reading all the info. i personally think weights are great but you have to find something that works for you , if you dont feel comfortable , you wont stick with it
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    thanks for sharing. i enjoyed reading all the info. i personally think weights are great but you have to find something that works for you , if you dont feel comfortable , you wont stick with it

Many non-Crossfit gyms have good weights programs and personal trainers that can make sure you are lifting with good form to avoid injury, which is especially important if you want to start lifting heavy.
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    CF is a Personal fitness goal of mine. The minute i saw it I felt I had to try it and everything I've read has said go at your own pace and work up to it. I plan to try it next year since I just rejoined my gym for a year. So for now I do bodypump and bodycombat.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    One of the big problems with anyone that's a non-elite athlete trying to do Crossfit is they generally post the workout at a level that elite Crossfitters might be able to do them on a good day, and then everyone else with a normal level of fitness has to take time to figure out how in the heck to modify it so they might be able to do it. Even with modifications and scaling, many Crossfit coaches push people to the point they are often extremely sore for three or four days after a workout. And being that sore for that long is not my idea of a fun or sustainable fitness program.

You're better off with BodyPump and BodyCombat. At least with those classes, you don't have the headache of trying to figure out how in the heck to scale it to something that do-able without landing you in the emergency room. I do a class similar to Body Pump, and all you have to modify is the actual weights on the bar. With Crossfit, you have all sorts of crazy lifts that hardly anyone outside of Crossfit does or knows how to modify to make them safe for a beginner. I do a kick boxing class that looks similar to BodyCombat, and with that, you just have to decide how hard you want to kick or punch to modify it.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Lets look at the olympic lifts used through out crossfit ... yeah by name you may not know what they are, I only knew squats and stiff legged dead lifts when I started; but let's see how they play out in daily life.

For starters - lifting anything up off the floor, clothes baskets, children, luggage, dead patients, hurt patients. Basics right there of either a dead lift and/or a clean, depending on what you do. (One hand dead lift = suitcase lift)

Let's say you work at a store or even just go shopping and need something off a taller shelf, of course no employees around so you wiggle it towards the end, get it in your hands, holding it over head until you're stable and lower it (similar to over head squat/snatch)

Lets say you're holding something that needs to go up on a shelf, you use some momentum from a lil dip and a big open hip that helps pop that box up just a lil higher then muscling it up ... BAM hang power clean and maybe throw a jerk in there.

You're playing the 'toss the child in the air' game with your kid or just going from waist to over head with said kid - BAM kettle bell swings.

Farming, fire fighting, working on an ambulance, hospital, warehouse ... over and over again you're using those basic movements ... sure you don't think of their fancy name, but essentially you're doing them. And when you do them incorrectly what happens? Workman comp claims, that's what. Oh you threw your back out? From lifting that 250 lb patient with your back and not your legs ... shame on you. Almost all job descriptions have some type of "lifting" requirement in them. Learn it. You don't have to live by cross fit, but learn those lifts.

So don't for one minute think that what is taught is pointless in the real word - it's applicable, crossfitting or not.

And I've never had a headache trying to figure out what weight to use. If I don't know my 1-rep max I pick a weight, do a few reps, coach watches me, if it feels like too much I drop. If I feel comfy I do that; if mid way through the WOD I start to get fatigued that I'm getting sloppy my coach will drop my weight.

Everything is scalable - we have members of all shapes, sizes, ages, and backgrounds. We cheer each other on and help out where we can. We're a family. End of story.