Accents

Options

Replies

• EllisLouise
    EllisLouise Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love an irish accent - went in chemist yesterday an blushed slightly when he called my name out ;D

and i have a friend whos from liverpool - he sounds amazing :) x

I'm oringinally from kent, but i live in norfolk - don't have the norfolk accent :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    My husband and I moved to Austin from Massachusetts two years ago. Anytime we go anywhere people are like "whoa Boston" to my husband's accent but I don't have one. People are always amazed that we both grew up in MA.

I love the Irish accent and the classy southern accent. I hate to sound mean but there are two very distinct southern accents - the annoying one and the sexy one....

I really depends on what part of the south you're from. People often think of Southern as Scarlett O'Hara/Savannah Accent, but there are literally dozens if you travel around the south. Mine's a lot sharper, and I annuciate more.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I think mine is mostly neutral, but some southern might slip in every now and again, but really I don't sound like anything I guess.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I dont have an accent but oh man those irish accents.....*drool* I'd probably marry someone for their accent as long as they agreed to talk to me every day :)
    I'm from the Midwest....I have no accent! ;)

Yes you do. If you speak, you have an accent. It may be the "standard" accent, but it's still an accent.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    <
    is an East TN girl......I have the same, thick accent. Several of my friends are from Michigan, Maryland, and PA, and they get a kick out me, but it is just a part of who I am! :flowerforyou: Though, sometimes people want to deduct IQ points when they hear you speak, but it's all good.

LOL Yup. East TN is a really distinct accent. I remember going to Spain last year, and the Spaniards got a serious kick out of me speaking Castilian with a southern drawl. I know when people from Knoxville call me because the accent is so distinct.
  • ajbeans
    Options
    My accent changes according to the crowd. Most of the time I speak with a pretty standard accent, but when I'm with my dad's side of the family, I slip into a loud hillbilly twang. Since moving to Nebraska I've met several people from Minnesota and I've picked up some things from them. It's kind of embarrassing because I think sometimes people think I'm making fun of them, but I'm not. It just happens.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I'm Argentinean, and I've only been in the US for longer than a year, of course I have an accent, lol! People immediately notice it, but they usually can't tell where am I from.

(just in case anyone is wondering... my original language is Spanish, not Portuguese; that's Brazil)

my fiance's father is from Ecuador and he's been here more than 20 years and I can't understand him sometimes because his accent is so thick.
  • Jen_Ohara
    Options
    I dont have an accent but oh man those irish accents.....*drool* I'd probably marry someone for their accent as long as they agreed to talk to me every day :)

I know how that is my friend Sean is from Ireland and I love hearing him talk. I also dated a aussie and he was amazing. When I met him I was at Walmart with my friend in Orlando because I was going to school there and I was looking at video games and he walked up behind me and said "hello how can I help you?" I just melted and I was with him for a year before he moved back home after college and we still email each other but its not the same hearing his voice. :blushing:
  • inammorata
    Options

Yes you do. If you speak, you have an accent. It may be the "standard" accent, but it's still an accent.

Again, I said I was joking. But I still think it's funny when people outside my area think that I have one.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

people from the Midwest have a very distinct way of speaking. Mainly, we pronounce silent letters like the "l" in "walk," "talk" and "calm" we don't really notice it because it's not as apparent as a British accent but it's definitely there.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    By the way if any Irish men read this post. I'm single if you need a mail order bride :))
  • ajbeans
    Options

Again, I said I was joking. But I still think it's funny when people outside my area think that I have one.

But you do. Everyone has an accent. That's my point. I just think it's funny when people say, "You have an accent," like that's strange. Every person on the planet has an accent, unless they don't speak. You may have a standard accent, but it's still an accent.

ETA: I'm really not trying to be a pain or argue with you. :) It's just something that I find odd, when someone claims to not have an accent, because it's just impossible. Most people don't seem to know what "accent" means.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Not sure where I got this from, but I say coffee like someone from New York or Jersey... and I say oil like Paula Dean. I think that's about it? haha
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm Argentinean, and I've only been in the US for longer than a year, of course I have an accent, lol! People immediately notice it, but they usually can't tell where am I from.

(just in case anyone is wondering... my original language is Spanish, not Portuguese; that's Brazil)

my fiance's father is from Ecuador and he's been here more than 20 years and I can't understand him sometimes because his accent is so thick.

It's different for our parents' generation... their accents are usually much thicker.
  • Segrande
    Options
    English accents sound the nicest, imo. As for my own accent, I'm not too sure. Maybe a mixture of Asian, American and English? Sometimes I can pronounce the same word differently, depending on which pronunciation comes to mind first. *_*
  • inammorata
    Options

people from the Midwest have a very distinct way of speaking. Mainly, we pronounce silent letters like the "l" in "walk," "talk" and "calm" we don't really notice it because it's not as apparent as a British accent but it's definitely there.

Here's a great video on that, I was listening to this guy with my head nodding off my neck :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPPHjOX1wZc
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    German accent, although, I have been told, not your stereo typical german accent. I have been mistaken for Australian, Irish and for South African, also randlomy for polish, russian and for skandinavian. My american friends say I sound like a brit (right mate, innit?)

The accent is thicker and more obvious when I am tired.... which is quite... obvious ^^ as I don't concentrate much. Some of the words over here I still struggle with and as much as I love my colleagues... it takes the piss when they constantly take the micky. As I tend to shut them down... once you speak german as fluent as I speak english, we can have that conversation again.... dooooh
    Actually, I have to say, that this seems to be quite a common problem in the UK. If you have an accent, english friends and colleagues always take the piss...
  • seehawkmomma
    Options

I meant one them fancy accents *I said that with a southern drawl in my head* :) I know everyone has an accent.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was raised in Brooklyn. Puerto Rican parents.

I spoke Spanish until I entered grade school, then, to speed up my English, my parents banned me from speaking Spanish (although they continued to communicate in Spanish). Brooklynese became my primary language.

In 1980, after being married to an Idahoan for one year, he confessed that when he first met me, he had a hard time understanding me because my Brooklyn accent was so strong (even after leaving New York in 1973). One of his friends would always start swinging his arms whenever I used the word "ask" (causing people to laugh). Well, I found out that he was mocking me because I pronounced "ask" as "ax" (he'd mimic chopping wood). I now tell people that I have a speech impairment because, after all these years, my Brooklyn accent still dominates.

I absolutely love ALL distinctive accents, foreign and American. I love a true southern accent, softly spoken. I go into a trance. So soothing.

One of my favorite accents is Brad Pitt's character (Mickey O'Neil, the Irish Gypsy). I crack up each time I see that movie!

Here's to diversity :drinker:
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    <
    is an East TN girl......I have the same, thick accent. Several of my friends are from Michigan, Maryland, and PA, and they get a kick out me, but it is just a part of who I am! :flowerforyou: Though, sometimes people want to deduct IQ points when they hear you speak, but it's all good.

I know about the IQ discrimination -- it happened to me after applying for a receptionist job (in 1986) here in southeast Idaho. My Brooklyn accent was deemed a hindrance. I was actually told that I sounded "stupid" even though I was over qualified for the position. As it turned out, I got an even better job with a different agency.