Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
Did you like it? Thoughts/comments?

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I don't eat red meats so I'm kind of useless but we've bought Bison burgers before and my husband thought they were ok, he still said he'd prefer a really good beef burger over the Bison but that it was still decent.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I love bison. I actually had it for lunch. While it is more expensive, it's lower in saturated fat than beef and I think it tastes better as well.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like it as well as beef.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Had a burger maybe two or three times it was nice, much healthier! Defo worth a try!
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    Yes. We've replaced beef in our house with bison and venison. Much leaner and very tasty. Because it is so much leaner it doesn't really make a good burger. It does make excellent meat loaf when a little extra egg white is used. It's also wonderful for tacos or spaghetti or chili.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    Have been eating Bison for 4-5 years. Since it's quite a bit leaner you need to be a little more careful cooking the steaks and roasts as medium rare to medium is about as far as you want to go with it. Use it as a substitute for any beef product. We have a butcher shop here that only sells Bison, so it makes it very easy to get. I have even tried a smoked version that was a replacement for pork back bacon.
  • ciaobellakiss
    Options
    No. :angry:
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    It's yummy
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My mom likes Bison...I can't afford it! LOL..Its over 8.00 a pound, and sorry, but with a family of 5, that's not happening!!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Once, years ago. I remember it was a milder flavor than beef. Beef-A-Lo might be good if you can find it.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Have been eating Bison for 4-5 years. Since it's quite a bit leaner you need to be a little more careful cooking the steaks and roasts as medium rare to medium is about as far as you want to go with it. Use it as a substitute for any beef product. We have a butcher shop here that only sells Bison, so it makes it very easy to get. I have even tried a smoked version that was a replacement for pork back bacon.

you're absolutely right. wild game is all pretty much that way. super lean, so it can dry out really easily and get tough. once it starts changing color on the outside is right about the time it's probably done inside. like good barbecue, you want to cook venison low and slow. when done, you want it to have a strip of pink, which will often go away after it rests off-heat for a few minutes.

since there is no fat in the meat, you do have to add some to cook it, though. generally, I use a small amount pork suet. which sounds bad but, remember, there's little to no fat in the meat to start off with. as far as meat goes, venison is about the best you can eat. and, as long as it is prepared correctly -- which does take some practice to get right -- it tastes amazing.
  • TexasNurseMom78
    TexasNurseMom78 Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    It is really good! I like red meats. Game meats also are great. Venison is much leaner and still very high in protein.
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat bison quite often. I like the steaks, and also cut it up for chili. It has a richer taste than beef, and is very healthy.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I have. It's amazingly similar to beef, except nutritionally superior in just about every possible way. ;)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    YES! And now I want to go get some!! I love Bison burgers!!
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Mmm, i love bison, hardly ever have it, sadly. Little on the dry side but so tasty
  • MissSharkattack
    MissSharkattack Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    LOVE Bison. :)
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    I'm not much of a "meat" person but I tried Bison this summer and it was very good!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Bison is good, a lot saltier then beef, but leaner.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    too me it tasted a little more tangy than meat