I don't sweat, strange or normal?

Options
Am I alone in this? It's not new I've always been this way. I may sweat a little in the chest and back area, but almost never elsewhere.
This really wouldn't be an issue if my face didn't turn bright red and I start to feel sick and like I'm going to pass out (and have done so). I know sweating regulates body temp. I've tried jogging for 25 min, I break a tiny sweat only after about 45 min of turbojam at the end. I'm exerting myself beyond my limit and get good workouts in, just feel as though I could be doing more if I didn't have this problem.
Anyone else have this issue?

Replies

• norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is that way.....she actually has a medical reason for it....something about the glands not working right...or something like that.

you just have to be careful not to overheat...that would make you have that sick feeling
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    <---- After my thai boxing class, I've got a little glisten, maybe. Everyone else is some degree of soaked to dripping wet...
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I get red in the face, and slightly clammy after 45 min of Turbo Fire or equivalent intesity workout, but I don't sweat. I don't have a medical condition and have always been like that. I'm in perfect health, so I don't worry about it at all!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I sweat profusely while my wife never sweats. I'm always hot, and she's always cold. She considers anything under 80 cold and uncomfortable. She can work out 5 minutes and her face is red as a beet. Her blood pressure is normal enough, and she doesn't seem to have any serious medical conditions. But that's just the way she is. Our oldest daughter (9) seems to be a sweat-er like her old man.

Do you drink much liquids? My wife for whatever reason simply doesn't drink much, no matter how important I tell her it is. I sometimes wonder if she's simply dehydrated.

Hope this helps.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Do you drink much liquids? My wife for whatever reason simply doesn't drink much, no matter how important I tell her it is. I sometimes wonder if she's simply dehydrated.

Hope this helps.

I was thinking the same thing! I won't sweat while exercising, but if I drink water afterward, the sweat will POUR out of me! I was thinking dehydration!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    There's a gene mutation in which sweat glands don't develop. It can affect your whole body, or it can affect you in patches. My friend, for example, sweats in one armpit but not the other. It's nothing you need to be seriously concerned with, other than making sure you don't get overheated. Drink water while you work out, and maybe use a fan if you can.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Me neither. I've never worried about it. I find it amusing that after races my friends are red and dripping and I look like I just got out of bed.
  • mrshmiller9
    Options
    I sweat profusely while my wife never sweats. I'm always hot, and she's always cold. She considers anything under 80 cold and uncomfortable. She can work out 5 minutes and her face is red as a beet. Her blood pressure is normal enough, and she doesn't seem to have any serious medical conditions. But that's just the way she is. Our oldest daughter (9) seems to be a sweat-er like her old man.

Hope this helps.
    This is exactly it. I'm always cold- never put it together before. And no on a regular basis I don't drink a lot. It's really been difficult this last week to get 8 glasses of water in. Perhaps it'll improve as I consistently drink more.
    I'm not worried from a health standpoint- it just gets annoying that I could be doing more but can't.
    Thanks for all the input!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    It's normal not to sweat a lot. Different workout can produce different sweat level. I drink a lot of water. A half of gallon to a gallon a day and I don't sweat a lot. I never did. I may sweat a little in the face, but I mostly sweat behind my neck. Sometimes, on my chest. I do intense workouts.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes me over 30 minutes to start a sweat. Yeah my face is very red the whole time... when I get in great shape though I sweat more... and I am getting there.

I am not dehydrated either - I drink and eat (Kefir, dairy) before I run.
  • mrshmiller9
    Options
    Me neither. I've never worried about it. I find it amusing that after races my friends are red and dripping and I look like I just got out of bed.
    I'm beat red and burning up like a fever.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to sweat either. Found out the reason why -- I was severely dehydrated. Once I started making sure that I was drinking enough water (and cut out the pop), I started to sweat and felt better.

Are you drinking enough water?
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    Drinking more water does get easier so just keep at it and you will notice that you are drinking more as time goes by. I would say you might want to talk to your doctor and make sure it is not a medical condition since it does exist that some people don't sweat like they should. It is not healthy for you to push yourself beyond your bodies limit if you don't know if you have a condition that needs to be monitored. You certainly don't want to pass out each time you work out...that is not at all healthy.

I would also consider the dehydration factor. If you are not drinking alot then your body has nothing to sweat out and what little is coming out as sweat is leaving your body totally dried out on the inside so-to-speak...thus making you overheat and pass out.

Again, talk to you doctor and drink more water! : )
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I drink tons of water and just like you, I rarely break out a sweat... OK, perhaps after 90 minutes of hard core capoeira on a hot summer day ( and that would be a little in the back and chest area) but by then, I can see through everyone's t-shirts they're so soaked! LOL... I've spoken to my doctor about it and there's nothing to worry about. My face gets red too. But that's the blood coming ot the surface of the skin to cool off the body.
  • Raclex
    Options
    It may not be about water. As I mentioned in my previous post, I drink lots (and even more during work-outs) but it doesn't change a thing whether I drink more or not. My body is just made that way.
  • Raclex
    Options
    Sorry, double post... urgh...
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    My sister was that way also. I'd burst into sweat doing the same exercise and she could do it for an hour and still not sweat.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat
    Then I stopped
    Even during hot/bikram yoga I didnt sweat
    I could not even go in the sun for 30 second, I would get a mother of all headaches

Bikram yoga helped me restart
    Went to docs they said no sweat no problem

Do you by any chance have large breasts?

Iodine helps

Do some research

Sonal
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat
    Then I stopped
    Even during hot/bikram yoga I didnt sweat
    I could not even go in the sun for 30 second, I would get a mother of all headaches

Bikram yoga helped me restart
    Went to docs they said no sweat no problem

Do you by any chance have large breasts?

Iodine helps

Do some research

Sonal
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I've heard of Anhydrosis (sp?) In horses, but not people. You might want to talk to your doctor.