500 calorie dinner ideas

Options
I'm looking for some ideas with recipes or at least ingredients included. I gotta get out of this rut!

Replies

• nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Oh, but no shellfish - no shrimp, crab, etc. Thanks!
  • lucky7659
    Options
    Are you cooking for family or just yourself? I work in a group home and their meals are all predetermined and usually don't exceed 450 to 500 calories. My favorites are the black bean zucchini quesadilla (pretty self explanatory...and if you use 2 large tortilla shells, 1/4 cup black beans, 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese and zucchini, onion, garlic, green and red peppers it should be right about 500 calories. Add salsa instead of sour cream...only 10 calories a serving), whole wheat lemon linguini with roasted vegetables and vegetable taco salad. It's all about portion size, though! I also will do a small sirloin (about half of one they would package at the grocery store), put it on a salad and cover it with olive oil and vinegar, and salt free seasoning. I do the same thing with a small chicken breast grilled or roasted. Instead of potatoes, do things like brown rice or pinto beans. If you add enough seasoning to the vegetables while roasting they are delicious!! I hope this helps! It's hard to stick to 500 calories unless you are eating celery every day!
  • sh0ck
    sh0ck Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Vegetable Tomato Stew (with Optional Chicken)

OPTIONAL: Cook up 1-2 pounds of chicken breasts however you want.

- Touch of Olive Oil in a big Pot
    - Dice 1/2 an onion and put into oil
    - Mince some garlic and put into oil
    - Let sit until the onion is sweating

- Pour in 1 biggish can of diced tomatoes (preferably no salt added) and 2 cans of tomato sauce (preferably no salt added)
    - Season with salt and pepper (to taste)
    - Throw in:
    2 bags of frozen corn
    1 bag of frozen okra
    12 fingerling potatoes cut into smallish pieces
    1 can of black beans (rinse the beans first; preferable no salt added)
    12 baby carrots cut into smallish pieces

Stir in 2-3 cups of water throughout the process

Season however you want (I add in some italian seasoning, a little hot sauce, salt, pepper, a pinch of cinnamon, a tad of brown sugar). You can really put whatever you want in there.

OPTIONAL: Throw in the cooked chicken breast. Let simmer until the potatoes and carrots are softish (but not mushy).

This will make a BIG helping of this. I think it I said it was around 9-10 servings total (this is REALLY good for leftovers or freezing). Based on 9 servings, the stats for this are:

Calories: 341
    Fat: 3
    Protein: 27
    Carbs: 43
    Fiber: 7
    Sodium: 277

And I didn't look at it but I am sure the Potassium is PHENOMENAL!

Filling, tasty, healthy,a nd colorful! Low in fat, high in protein, high in fiber, moderate amount of calories. Great for leftovers.
  • nrimas
    Options
    I am cooking for myself and I definitely have a big appetite, so quantity is important. I am not the girl who eats one piece of candy or half a cup of ice cream. When I eat, I want to eat. I like it when the phrase, "I eat a big bowl of this, maybe two," is included!
    Thanks for the great ideas.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Tilapia filets, dust with your favorite herbs & spices (oregano, rosemary, red chili, etc)
    Zucchini, half lengthwise
    Yellow Squash, half lengthwise
    Red Bell Pepper, half lengthwise
    Eggplant, 1/2" thick slices
    Onion, 1/2" thick slices
    Other veggies you like
    1-2 T. Olive Oil

Get your grill hot, brush grate with olive oil, cook everything on the list
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    All the recipes on my blog are 500 calories or less (with exception of the ribs recipe).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elizabeth_C34
  • norcalbeezy
    norcalbeezy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is like my bible!! you'll love it too! so many great easy healthy ideas!
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have found quite a few recipes at skinnytaste.com and http://www.kraftrecipes.com/home.aspx. Some of these are so yummy!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I love to make chicken fajitas.

Sautee chicken strips in coconut oil (olive oil does not do well at high heat) with fajita seasoning, onion and bellpepper

Put in a whole wheat tortilla with a little cheese, salsa, and black beans

Lots of fiber and protein - fills you up and is so delicious!!!! Quick and easy too!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Add me. Take a glance through my diary. My meals aren't 100% perfect, but I try to keep them to 400 calories or less. My diary might help you! I can share recipes at a later date!
  • mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    Creamy Chicken and Noodles

Tender chunks of chicken, egg noodles and fresh spinach in a creamy Alfredo sauce

10 Prep Time
    (MINUTES)

25 Total Time
    (MINUTES)

6 Servings

Ingredients
    • PAM® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
    •1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
    •1/2 cup chopped onion
    •3 cups water
    •1 can (6 oz each) Hunt's® Tomato Paste
    •3 cups dry extra-wide egg noodles, uncooked (3 cups = 4 oz)
    •1 container (10 oz each) refrigerated light Alfredo sauce
    •1 pkg (6 oz each) baby spinach leaves

Nutrition Information

Calories

8g
    Total Fat

25g
    Protein
    Serving Size: 6 servings (1 cup each)

Sodium 418mg

Directions

1.Spray large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers and onion is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
    2.Stir in water and tomato paste. Add noodles; stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until noodles are tender.
    3.Add Alfredo sauce and spinach; mix well. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until spinach wilts and mixture is hot, stirring after 1-1/2 minutes.
  • mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    Barbecue Chicken Dinner Packets

Chicken breasts on top of sliced potatoes, flavored with barbecue sauce, bell peppers and cheese, for easy dinner packets cooked on the grill

15 prep time

40 mins total

Ingredients
    •1/2 cup Hunt's® Original Barbecue Sauce
    •2 cups thinly sliced small red-skinned potatoes (4 to 6 potatoes)
    •4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 oz each)
    •1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    •1/4 cup chopped onion
    •1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    •1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Cheddar cheese

Nutrition Information
    369 Calories
    8g Total Fat
    43g Protein
    Serving Size: 4 servings (1 packet each)
    Sodium 452 mg

Directions

1.Preheat outdoor grill to medium-high heat according to manufacturer's directions. Place four 18x12-inch pieces of heavy foil on counter. Spray each with cooking spray. For each packet, spread a generous teaspoon barbecue sauce in center. Place 1/2 cup potatoes in single layer over sauce. Spoon another teaspoon sauce over potatoes.
    2.Top potatoes with chicken. Spoon 1 teaspoon sauce over each breast. Top each with 1/4th bell pepper, onion and black pepper. Bring up short sides of each foil packet and double fold top. Double fold both ends to seal each packet, leaving space for steam to gather.
    3.Place packets on grate of covered grill. Grill 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers (165°F) and potatoes are tender. Carefully open packets; sprinkle 1/4th cheese on top of each breast. Close foil and let stand 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Cook's Tip

Packets may be baked on shallow pan in 425°F oven 20 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers and potatoes are tender.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Six ounce sirloin and two light beers.
  • nrimas
    Options
    Six ounce sirloin and two light beers.
    Ha, ha, ha! I LOVE beer!
  • nrimas
    Options
    All the recipes on my blog are 500 calories or less (with exception of the ribs recipe).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Elizabeth_C34
    Nice! Love it!!
  • nrimas
    Options

Tender chunks of chicken, egg noodles and fresh spinach in a creamy Alfredo sauce

10 Prep Time
    (MINUTES)

25 Total Time
    (MINUTES)

6 Servings

Ingredients
    •1/2 cup chopped onion
    •3 cups water

Nutrition Information

Calories

8g
    Total Fat

25g
    Protein

Sodium 418mg

Directions

1.Spray large nonstick saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add chicken and onion; cook 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in centers and onion is crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
    2.Stir in water and tomato paste. Add noodles; stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 10 to 12 minutes or until noodles are tender.
    3.Add Alfredo sauce and spinach; mix well. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until spinach wilts and mixture is hot, stirring after 1-1/2 minutes.
    OMG. I could swim in this!
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • nrimas
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com is like my bible!! you'll love it too! so many great easy healthy ideas!
    I have been here, but I always find myself looking at dessert recipes. I will try harder!! Thank you!
  • mrsjoseywales29
    Options
    lol me too i am thinkin bout trying this, this weekend. Found recipe on hunts .com.

10 Prep Time
    (MINUTES)

25 Total Time
    (MINUTES)

6 Servings

Ingredients
    •1/2 cup chopped onion
    •3 cups water

Nutrition Information

Calories

8g
    Total Fat

25g
    Protein

Sodium 418mg

Directions

OMG. I could swim in this!