BMR?

Options
SO SO confused....

If my BMR is 1602 (35,female,187 pounds,) and I want to lose another 30 pounds...How many calories should I eat??

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    SO SO confused....

If my BMR is 1602 (35,female,187 pounds,) and I want to lose another 30 pounds...How many calories should I eat??

Depends on how much activity you do ... but assuming that you are relatively active I would say at bare minimum about 1950.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You need to find out your TDEE and create your deficit from that and not from your BMR.

Why not let MFP do the work for you? The numbers may not be perfect, but it is a great starting point. All you do is put in your information and MFP will give you the numbers.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Try this... http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ :flowerforyou:

Edit: I suggested this because it calculates long term goals based on your goal weight, very handy
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    So may variables,

You need about a 100,000 calorie deficit.

What's your activity level?

Say you burn 1602(BMR) + 500 with actvities
    2102 cals total

Then you eat 1,500 cals
    You would have 602 cal deficit, so you would lose 30lbs in 174 days.

If that is too long for you, your options are to increase activity and/or eat less.

I'd recommend about a 1,000 calorie deficit for 6 days, then take a day off and have a small surplus.
    That would lead to about a 2lb loss per week., and you keep your metabolism strong while giving you a weekly mental break.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • Twins2007
    Twins2007 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh I agree that MFP is a good starting point...However after losing 27 pounds, my body got stuck like glue in a really bad plateau...I want to make sure I have the right numbers...grrrr!
  • Twins2007
    Options

This is what it says...

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1756
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2012
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2268
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2524
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2780
    NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

So...This can't be with eating back your exercise calories, right?
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Thanks!

Not too long at all...I have been in a plateau for months!!!
  • Twins2007
    Options
    So may variables,

You need about a 100,000 calorie deficit.

What's your activity level?

Say you burn 1602(BMR) + 500 with actvities
    2102 cals total

Then you eat 1,500 cals
    You would have 602 cal deficit, so you would lose 30lbs in 174 days.

If that is too long for you, your options are to increase activity and/or eat less.

I'd recommend about a 1,000 calorie deficit for 6 days, then take a day off and have a small surplus.
    That would lead to about a 2lb loss per week., and you keep your metabolism strong while giving you a weekly mental break.

Good luck, you can do it!

Thanks! NOT too long at all...Have been stuck in a plateau for months!!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1756
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2012
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2268
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2524
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2780
    NOTE: Please remember that this calculation is just a guideline. Your metabolism may be higher or lower based on the amount of lean muscle you have. Use these numbers a a starting point and tweak them up or down based on your weight loss or gain. It may take a couple weeks to get your exact calorie level.

So...This can't be with eating back your exercise calories, right?

The calories set there are the calories that you will need to eat to maintain your goal weight once you reach it and obviously do not create as big of a deficit as MFP does. You can lower those numbers to create a larger deficit or you can workout and not eat the exercise calories back to create a larger deficit as well. Different things work for different people, I personally eat less than what mine said but it's good to know what my long term goals will be.
  • Twins2007
    Options
    Ok..So after lots of research...I am trying something new...

Note: The reason being I have NOT lost ANY weight in months besides logging (even when it wasn't great) and working my @$$ off on the elliptical or at Zumba!

I entered my calories at 2,000 and will NOT count my exercise calories....

Thoughts?
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Note: The reason being I have NOT lost ANY weight in months besides logging (even when it wasn't great) and working my @$$ off on the elliptical or at Zumba!

Thoughts?

Did you figure out your TDEE? I really encourage you to do so. While it isn't set in stone, it will give you a good idea of where your starting point should be. I used to play the "let me guess how many calories I need" game and it failed me terribly. So, now that I have an idea of where I need to be, I do a far better job.
  • Twins2007
    Options

Thoughts?

Did you figure out your TDEE? I really encourage you to do so. While it isn't set in stone, it will give you a good idea of where your starting point should be. I used to play the "let me guess how many calories I need" game and it failed me terribly. So, now that I have an idea of where I need to be, I do a far better job.

Yes :)

P.S. Thanks for the replies :)

Here is what I found...2486

How can I apply this # to MFP?
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Try this... http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ :flowerforyou:

Edit: I suggested this because it calculates long term goals based on your goal weight, very handy

I love Fat 2 Fit ... I guess at the numbers and I was pretty close. I use their calculator all the time with patients!! :)