healthy granola recipe anyone?

rhd4
rhd4 Posts: 1
anyone know a healthy granola recipe? preferably low in fat and calories?

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    would love on too. i used to put it on my yogurt daily until i realized it was actually a bit un healthy... high in calories, etc... didn't make it worth it to do it anymore but i sure do miss it!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    bump for now... I know I have found some healthy looking ones, I'll work my way back here to share them later!:wink::flowerforyou:
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    bump, don't have time now but I make granola.
  • sesefeeney
    sesefeeney Posts: 71 Member
    Wet" Ingredients:
    1/2 cup raw cashews
    1/2 cup raw almonds
    1 tsp. salt
    ...1 tsp. vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean ( optional)
    2 tsp. coconut oil/butter
    1/4 cup raw agave nectar
    1/3 cup raw honey
    2 tsp water

"Dry" Ingredients:
    1 cup shredded dry coconut(un sweet)
    1 cup RAW rolled oats
    1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
    Grind up the Almonds and cashews . I use my blender! works just fine. i also put the salt with the nuts so it gets good n mixed up!
    I Mix up all the dry ingredients in one bowl and in another bowl i mix up all the Wet ingredients.
    When they are all througholy mixed i combine them.
    I get out my Small glass casaroll dish. Spray it just a tiny bit with PAM. Spread the mixture out and flatten it.
    Put it int he Oven at 170 degrees for about 30 mins. after thats done stick it in the freezer Right away for 10 mins! not longer!!! because it will get to hard.
    I then take a pizza cutter and cut them into bars. and use a spatula to take them out, and store then in the Fridge.
    its 100 calories per bar!!!!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    I made some today !!!

Granola/trail mix to eat with yogurt or milk
    This recipe is a conglomeration of several Spark People recipes but the final is truly my own and I am VERY proud of my homemade granola - which my coworkers disdainfully call Sara's Crumbs.

The Base:
    3 - 6 cups
    Oats (instant don't have to be baked) or crunched up cookies or macaroons or cereal that's going stale or crunched up granola bars; I've also used premade plain granola and added ingredients below to make it healthier

1 - 3 cups:
    ground flax seeds, toasted wheat germ, (unsalted) toasted or plain crunched up nuts, seeds (sesame, pumpkin, sunflower), bran, millet, non fat dried milk, chia seeds, protein powder (any flavor); you don't have to use all of these

The Goodie:
    Use one or more to suit yourself:
    up to 3/4 cup dried fruit
    up to 1 1/2 cup mini choc chips or mini pb chips
    up to one cup coconut

The Sweetener:
    Use one or two from list:
    1/2 to 3/ cup maple syrup
    up to 1/3 cup honey
    1 to 4 tsp vanilla
    up to half a cup brown sugar (light or dark)
    up to 1/4 cup brown rice syrup
    1/2 T Stevia
    up to 1/4 cup agave nectar
    (I don't use any if I'm not baking it)

The Spice:
    1/8 tsp to 4 tsp mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
    (I don't add this if I'm not baking it, but you do what you like)

The Fat:
    Optional if your other ingredients are wet enough:
    0 to 1/4 cup oil, water or orange juice
    (I don't add this if I'm not baking it)

If you are using the raw oats, you'll want to mix everything (but the dried fruit and choc chips) and bake at 250 for about half an hour, stirring every 10 minutes. (Everything else you are using is really precooked or you can eat it raw.)

If you have a microwave, you can toast up to 2 cups of oats in a 9 inch glass plate, on High, for 4-6 minutes, stirring every minute, until golden.

If you are just combing (pretoasted) ingredients, you can toss into zippy bag,shake, and portion out as needed. I keep mine in the fridge or freezer (since the flax and wheat germ will go bad rapidly).

Enjoy it !
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I crafted this recipe years ago with very few ingredients and it's been a hit with everyone I know... It's super easy to whip up, even the boyfriend makes it himself :laugh: Give it a go! It's got healthy fats and is very low in sugar. It doesn't cluster all that well, but it's awesome over fruit and yogurt... I load it up with TONS of cinnamon, too. Deeeelish!

Makes a whole ton - About 8-10 cups

Ingredients:
    6-8 cups large flake oats, not instant or quick (I use 8, but less oats will help to distribute the other goodies a little better)
    3/4-1 cup roughly chopped almonds
    3/4-1 cup roughly chopped walnuts
    1 cup flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened to taste
    2 Tbsp cinnamon (use your discretion here - I never actually measure)
    1/4-1/3 cup 100% pure light maple syrup (or honey, if that's what you have)
    2/3 cup water

Preheat oven to 225F.
    Mix first 5 ingredients thoroughly in a mixing bowl. Separately, combine syrup and water and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Mix well and then slowly pour over the dry ingredients. stirring frequently to coat all dry ingredients evenly. Lightly spray 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray. Spread mixture evenly across both sheets. Bake for 1 hour at 225F, turning granola over after first 30 mins Increase the temperature to 325F and cook for an additional 30-40 minutes, turning granola every 10 mins, or until adequately toasted (to your taste).

To avoid burning make sure to move the sheets around in the oven (switch racks every time you move the granola around). If you like, you can add dried fruit once the granola is out of the oven. Cool for 30 mins and store in an airtight container. Should keep 3-4 weeks, minimum.

For a 1/3 cup serving there is roughly 184 calories, 23g carbohydrates, 8g fat, 5g protein, 6g sugar, 4g fiber, and 9mg sodium. This will depend on your portions of nuts and oats, obviously, but you can figure it out using the recipe calculator pretty easily.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: