I really need some advice please!

Options
Hi everyone
I'm thin but I really need to tone and loose alot of excess fat on my thighs and backside. (cellulite too!!) so far i've been doing pilates for 50 mins 4-5 times a week and then walking or biking for an hour after that. i watch what i eat and eat around 1300 calories while drinking only water.

my question is, since i haven't seen any difference after the first few weeks, what should i be adding in? i now realize pilates isn't the best for fat burning but ok for some toning...
i've been thinking about joining a gym so i could use a pool and their equipment. i don't want to build muscle, only a little, to burn the fat of course, so i don't want to do much weight training... and i don't want to spend all this money at a gym if i really don't have to. but i am getting tired of my routines, it's been a little over a month now.

so should i just add jump roping at home or something and then walk AND bike ride 5 times a week? I really want results and really want to be reassured I can get them if I keep this up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• vintageprop
    vintageprop Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I'm thin but I really need to tone and loose alot of excess fat on my thighs and backside. (cellulite too!!) so far i've been doing pilates for 50 mins 4-5 times a week and then walking or biking for an hour after that. i watch what i eat and eat around 1300 calories while drinking only water.

my question is, since i haven't seen any difference after the first few weeks, what should i be adding in? i now realize pilates isn't the best for fat burning but ok for some toning...
    i've been thinking about joining a gym so i could use a pool and their equipment. i don't want to build muscle, only a little, to burn the fat of course, so i don't want to do much weight training... and i don't want to spend all this money at a gym if i really don't have to. but i am getting tired of my routines, it's been a little over a month now.

so should i just add jump roping at home or something and then walk AND bike ride 5 times a week? I really want results and really want to be reassured I can get them if I keep this up.

Any help would be appreciated!
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    For getting tone without doing any weights I think that you should try running. If you are not already a capable runner - google the couch to 5k program which has also been posted about on myfitnesspal.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Weights are perfect for toning as well:drinker: ...perhaps try doing more reps - less weight for toning. More weights for adding muscle.

Muscle burns fat...we definitely want muscle on our bodies for numerous reasons, it creates strong bones, it keeps our metabolism boosted LONG after our workouts, our blood sugar are helped to be regulated to reduce cravings/hunger.

So many wonderful things strength training offer our bodies.:drinker: :bigsmile:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Why Women Do Need a Strength Training Routine

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/42671-why-women-do-need-a-strength-training-routine

Excellent article here on the awesome things strength training can provide Women:wink::flowerforyou:
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    add weights, you want muscle in your legs and backside instead of fat, besides, it takes a LOT of weight lifting and dedication for a woman to look like she is a body builder, we just weren't made like men and just don't bulk up that easily. Don't be afraid of weights, they do wonder for toning your muscles and burning fat all at the same time.
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/42671-why-women-do-need-a-strength-training-routine

Excellent article here on the awesome things strength training can provide Women:wink::flowerforyou:

hahaha I was just sending her to your post :happy:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    add weights, you want muscle in your legs and backside instead of fat, besides, it takes a LOT of weight lifting and dedication for a woman to look like she is a body builder, we just weren't made like men and just don't bulk up that easily. Don't be afraid of weights, they do wonder for toning your muscles and burning fat all at the same time.
    OMG Thank YOU!! Someone else that understands:laugh: :drinker: :wink:

I'm not sure where we as women ever got the idea we would look like men if we used weights, we simply aren't built the same nor do we have any where near the testostrone they do to be able too.

AAM is right it takes ALOT for a woman to be a body builder so I do wish us women would not worry so much about that, when so many great things for our bodies can be had by using weights!:wink::drinker:

FC:heart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

hahaha I was just sending her to your post :happy:
    :laugh: :flowerforyou: I actually looked it up and posted it when I saw this thread:tongue:
  • gone2gym2befit
    Options
    Do squats, lunges, and stair climbing for overall good use of your thigh and butt muscles. These are the big muscles that will "Pump" for you when you do your cardio so having them in tip top shape will give you more bang for the buck when you're trying to burn calories when you do your cardio work outs. You can do them at home easily (stadiums at schools usually have good stairs for running). Make sure what you're eating doesn't have alot of fat in it. Try to make your 1300 cals count by having mostly complex carbs, very lean protein, lots of fruit and veggies, and good sources of fat such as olive oil, almonds, walnuts, all natural peanut butter, avocados, etc. Read your food labels and keep saturated fats to a mimimum. Jumping rope is a very good exercise for increasing lower body strength and overall cardiovascular fitness too. Don't be afraid of weights!!!!!! Women that are body builders and spend hours in the gym w/ loads of heavy weight complain because they can't get big enough or ripped enough!!!! And the big muscle women you do see pics of are probably using supplements (on top of 3 or so hours of weight lifting at least 6 days a week)