has anyone stopped logging calories and just eats healthily?

Options
Wondering if anyone has stopped logging their calories?
It is starting to seem a bit tedious, like a job, getting burnt out from it...
And I know how many cals are in pre much everything I eat anyway..

Replies

• wardba4
    wardba4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with you have been thinking of doing that buthaven't as of yet.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    sorry....double post
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I think of it every now and then, but it's the tediousness of the logging that makes me reject some food cuz it's not worth the logging. So no, I plan to keep logging to keep myself in line. Once I reach my goal weight I may stop as long as I keep the weight off.
  • Umpire57
    Umpire57 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I dont log anymore but I am in maintenance and have a high count as is. I still log my weigh ins and if I start to get high then I log to get back down where I want to be.

I still log on most every day to check in on my people though and get my daily kick in the butt!

If you are still actively wanting to lose though, you need to log to do it right.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    It's tedious, but it's the only thing that works for me.
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    In the 11 months I've been on here, I've taken 3 short breaks (a week or less) from logging. I knew that I needed the break because it was making me quite stressed, which isn't particularly healthy either. I still managed to lose weight during those breaks which helped to build my confidence in knowing that I can now be healthy without having to log everything. But I came back to logging because I appreciate the support from my MFP friends.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I did that over the summer and put 10lbs back on. It's too easy too slack off.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    I just started logging earlier this month, so perhaps I'm biased, but... I don't see myself stopping logging, unless they're for stretches of time like I'm on vacation or it's the holidays, etc. I like cataloguing things (good think I'm working in a library ;) ), so I don't find it at all tedious.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, me- it was hard work and I swear made me think of food all day and eat more. I know that sounds crazy is my own mind working against me. I do like to log my exercise though
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I had this same conversation with myself last night.... I ended up asking myself 'what would make you ever stop brushing your teeth, flossing, or showering - because it was 'too tedious'???" When I stop being vigilant, I gain weight. Period. But - let's face it, there are some times in our lives when we just have to give in to the Dark Side in order to come to grips with what is "consuming" us. I am hoping we can all be a little kinder to ourselves during the Holidays... Great topic, thanks!
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I took a few breaks and during those times I just maintained my weight. I guess that's a good sign for when I'm done, but I'd really like to lose some more weight now. So, back to logging for me!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I do that often and just come back to MFP to check in on myself periodically.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's pretty simple for me... I don't find it tedious at all, to be quite honest.
    It only takes a couple of minutes out of my day, and it keeps me on track.
    I'm also used to tracking and calculating points because of being on WW in the past, so perhaps that's why?
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    As above, just because it is tedious, doesn't mean it isn't important. I log every day, whether I have been within points or not. Here at Christmas, still logging, though not necessarily tied to the numbers for the next day or 2. Still, it does keep me accountable and responsible and, thus, from not going overboard. "If you bite it, write it" is ingrained in me now and I feel it is part of my daily routine. I like the discipline of that tedious routine as it reminds me that I don't want to be fat ever again. period.
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    Options
    I stopped two weeks ago to see if I could maintain my weight alone and im doing a pretty good job.. Ive been on here for almost a yr and I figured if I dont have it figured out now I never will.. So far so good and it feels good not to log in everyday. I do log in my exercise to keep up with it but not food. And also my friend to inspire them to keep going as I need it too. Good luck just stay on your regular daily lifestyle eating and you will do fine.. Its just a cushion for awhile then you can get off of it..
  • Shelle68
    Shelle68 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I gave it up bc I came to the point that I wanted my mind OFF of food. And logging was def making me think of it often. But, also, I am at a place that I am eating very little - and losing - so it is def working for me. I won't be logging again unless I see a problem. Good luck!
  • cryptonyt
    cryptonyt Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying, but if you don;t measure it, it's hard to control it. I use the mobile app most of the time, and it really only takes 2 minutes to add my meals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I started logging a food journal in 2009 when I started therapy for my food addictions, and continued ever since. I joined MFP a few month ago to keep a closer eye on my caloric intake better. I now log in my hand journals and also log on here so now it is double duty. The thing of it is I don't think it is ever been an issue and especially now It is just second nature cause I don't even think about it anymore. To me it is like the old saying I am to busy to fit in exercise (I was the worst at this, heck it just didn't fit into my day) but I had plenty of time to come home and sit on my butt for 2 or 3 hours in the evening and watch t.v. or surf the net but I didn't have time for 30 minutes of cardio or exercise!! (yeah right) So for me logging is just a part of my new lifestyle and I don't see it ever changing. I may know the ins and out of almost everything I eat in my days put I do make new recipes or try new things, I have been on this journey for 29 months and I still am learning new way to better my life so this is something I can't see ever stopping myself...
  • CXXV
    CXXV Posts: 5
    Options
    I take a break from time to time and manage to stay at the same weight, even for long periods of time but now I'm trying to lose again and this helps, but I believe in balance. If logging and obsessing over everything you eat gets you out of balance, it is time to do something else.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I haven't logged for a few months and I haven't lost weight either. I know what to eat now but I tend to stray when I'm not logging. I dont mean that I stuff my face but I tend to have one or two more snacks or glasses of wine and not think about it. I will get back to it in the new year as it does seem to work for me as a weight loss tool. But in maintenance I do ok without it.

We are all different, so give a try and see what works for you, you may find you are more disciplined.

Good luck:flowerforyou: