Going Vegetarian?

Options
Can anyone here give me some tips on how to completely cut out meat from your diet? I have been flirting with the idea for quite some time but the longest I have gone without meat is 2 weeks. I know that there are many meatless alternatives out there and I'm not that concerned with making my own dinner.

One thing that I am concerned about is telling my family and letting them know I am serious. They all make fun of PETA and are huge meat eaters. I have mentioned going vegetarian one time and got ridiculed for it and my mom and I ended up getting into a huge argument about how meat is "good for you".

Any tips/recipes/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    to completely cut out meat -

1. quit eating meat

2. see #1
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ^ What he said.
  • diloed
    diloed Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Watch Food, Inc....it's a documentary, available on netflix and probably online. I never ate meat again after watching it.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you have to figure out why you're cutting out meat. Is it for health? Is it because of the ways animals are treated when raised for meat? If so, are you opposed to eating meats from animals that are raised humanely--grass-fed, cage free, pastured, etc?

I think you have a much better case if you have your reasons figured out. Also, don't get all "high and mighty" with your family. Respect that while meat may not be your thing, your family is still going to eat it. Reassure them that you DO believe meat CAN be part of a healthy and humane lifestyle, it's just not for you. Don't claim to come from any moral high ground with your personal decision to not eat meat. If you do, you're asking for a fight.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I tried this. I'm back to eating meat and never looking back. I became skinny fat while attempting vegetarianism. Just didn't work out for me. I more or less just wanted to see what it was like and if it was true that you didn't need meat to be fit. This girl needs her meat.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    Okay, I was a Vegetarian for the better part of four years...now I'm a Pollotarian, meaning, I only eat poultry. I'm going to try to offer my best input. In dealing with family, you almost just have to suffer through it. Eventually, my family became okay with it...after two years or so...but I only see them three times a year. Do you see your family on a consistent basis? If you don't, it's not as big of a deal. Don't bring it up unless you have to, or will be joining them in a meal or something. I come from an environment where hunting is a primary food source for a lot of families, so I guess it could have been taken personally to some extent...

If you are serious about Vegetarianism, will you be an ovo-lacto Or just one of the products? You need to make sure you're getting sufficient protein from other sources...beans, legumes, nuts, tofu, soy meats etc. One of the reasons why I had to incorporate white meat back into my diet is because I'm still in school and my "food plan" doesn't offer very many healthy vegetarian options and I was seriously lacking in protein.

Just treat yourself well and remember that everyone is entitled to their own dietary preferences, whether it be Vegan, Vegetarian, or Omnivore. Respect it, and hopefully you'll get that respect back in return.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    to be a little more helpful....

-gradually wean yourself off meat products. Start with Meatless mondays, then mondays and tuesdays, etc.

-find substitutions that are filling. If you like mushrooms, portobello burgers are a decent sub for beef ones. Grains are helpful too.

-KISS: keep it simple stupid!

-a website for recipes that I like is vegweb.com. sometimes they ask for some rare ingredients, so you'll see new parts of your grocery stores XD

-adapt your old recipes. margarine can (usually) replace butter, soy or almond milk replace cow's milk, etc. check its use though, sometimes it doesn't work!

-if you slip up, don't worry about it! just get right back on track, and after a month or so, your body will crave less meat.

as for your family: tell them it is your decision to give up meat. I had to be firm with my family at each meal, saying I'm no longer eating meat and I think it's healthier for me. I made a few recipes and fed them without telling them I made it veggie-friendly. Be stubborn, and soon they will accept your decision.

I wish you luck, and happy eating!

ps- PETA is NOT my best friend in most cases....they take worst case scenarios and blow them out of proportion, and set goals WAY too high 9/10 times. I would avoid saying PETA, and just say you object to how the animals are treated and killed.

Personally, if the animal could be sedated and humanely killed in large-scale time, I wouldn't mind meat....
  • shannonewallace
    shannonewallace Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The day I stopped eating meat was the day I read Eating Animals - by Jonathan Safran Foer. I feel like I had always had the beliefs in me to become vegetarian and I don't know why I ever waited. The thing I love about the book is it doesn't take the normal PETA stance that we are so used to hearing and most of our friends have stopped listening to. [dont get mad peta, im still a member haha] "Eating Animals explores the many stories we use to justify our eating habits—folklore and pop culture, family traditions and national myth, apparent facts and inherent fictions—and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting." Good luck in your journey!

1zdyhaq.jpg
  • jmehere
    jmehere Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    We've been lacto- ovo- vegetarian for about a year now. Very occasionally, I will eat fish, but husband won't. Basically, I just adapted the meals we were already eating to vegetarian ones. Tacos are now made with black beans. Gyros, with garbanzos. You'd be surprised how much protein you can get without eating meat. If you're eating whole grain pastas and bread, there is a decent amount of protein in that. One thing you have to watch is your B12 levels. And even with that, if you have a decent store of B12 already, it could be years before you become deficient (it's stored in the liver). But, enriched cereals help with this and you can also get nutritional yeast and incorporate it into recipes or use it like a cheese topping. You definitely want to supplement your children, if you have them. I think zinc and iron is sometimes an issue as well, but if you eat a varied enough diet with plenty of different veggies; you should be fine. One of the pitfalls of vegetarianism is that it is easy to fall into eating mostly breads and pastas, but if you are mindful of that you shouldn't become "skinny fat". If you are concerned about getting enough protein, there are always protein powders. I like whey. When you're making soups, you can thicken them with garbanzo (chick pea) flour.
    As for dealing with family or other people, in general... they're aloud to have their opinions and they're going to have them. A lot of people want to get into your business when it comes to that stuff. I have the attitude of respectful disagreement. It's not my job to convince them to see things my way. I usually disengage in conversations when people start getting preachy, bossy, or won't stop teasing. Having to go to the bathroom or take care of a kid is always a good excuse to end the conversation.
    If you find that vegetarianism doesn't work for you, don't worry. From what I understand, different people do better on different sorts of diets. If you crave a hamburger every now and then, no big deal. Think of it this way... through out history a lot of the time we depended mostly on a vegetarian diet, with the occasional feast of meat. Or on the other hand, some come from having to eat meat because the environment is not hospitable enough for vegetation. So, just see if it feels right for you. I feel awesome now. But, I've made a lot of changes in my life besides becoming vegetarian.
  • nacarat
    Options
    I'm a veggie who recently became vegan for health reasons (slightly lactose intolerant!) so I can definitely help:

- make sure that you hit your protein goals with substitutions such as Quorn, greek yogurt, eggs.

- TELL people in advance that you're vegetarian! Not only will this ensure that they accomodate you, but it holds you to your goals - after all, if you have your own special veggie dish someone has gone out of their way to cook for you, you can't very well go and eat meat laid out for others :p

- if people you live with are slightly less accommodating with your dietary choices, I find a brief 'hunger strike' very effective. (Only in front of them, you understand ... I was a sneaky seven year old).

- remember why you're not eating meat. Think of cute little animals, the fat in meat, your health ... I find visualising the 'gifts' my cats bring me very effective.

And remember that if you slip up once in a while - it's a gradual process. Don't beat yourself up for slipping up when you're just starting :)
  • nacarat
    Options
    We've been lacto- ovo- vegetarian for about a year now. Very occasionally, I will eat fish, but husband won't. Basically, I just adapted the meals we were already eating to vegetarian ones. Tacos are now made with black beans. Gyros, with garbanzos. You'd be surprised how much protein you can get without eating meat. If you're eating whole grain pastas and bread, there is a decent amount of protein in that. One thing you have to watch is your B12 levels. And even with that, if you have a decent store of B12 already, it could be years before you become deficient (it's stored in the liver). But, enriched cereals help with this and you can also get nutritional yeast and incorporate it into recipes or use it like a cheese topping. You definitely want to supplement your children, if you have them. I think zinc and iron is sometimes an issue as well, but if you eat a varied enough diet with plenty of different veggies; you should be fine. One of the pitfalls of vegetarianism is that it is easy to fall into eating mostly breads and pastas, but if you are mindful of that you shouldn't become "skinny fat". If you are concerned about getting enough protein, there are always protein powders. I like whey. When you're making soups, you can thicken them with garbanzo (chick pea) flour.
    As for dealing with family or other people, in general... they're aloud to have their opinions and they're going to have them. A lot of people want to get into your business when it comes to that stuff. I have the attitude of respectful disagreement. It's not my job to convince them to see things my way. I usually disengage in conversations when people start getting preachy, bossy, or won't stop teasing. Having to go to the bathroom or take care of a kid is always a good excuse to end the conversation.
    If you find that vegetarianism doesn't work for you, don't worry. From what I understand, different people do better on different sorts of diets. If you crave a hamburger every now and then, no big deal. Think of it this way... through out history a lot of the time we depended mostly on a vegetarian diet, with the occasional feast of meat. Or on the other hand, some come from having to eat meat because the environment is not hospitable enough for vegetation. So, just see if it feels right for you. I feel awesome now. But, I've made a lot of changes in my life besides becoming vegetarian.

^^^^ very good, sensible advice!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The reason i stopped being a vegetarian is I wasn't sure how to get all the amino acids meat gives you. What I read later is you have to make sure you eat a special verity of food to get the essential amino acids that a slice of meat gives you. I now only eat fish and poultry because, I can't keep up with a balanced meal schedule. But that's me.

Being vegetarian is great, i loved it. There are tons of food out there that will give you better protein and less fat and calories then meat. But the key for me was amino acids. Just make sure you do your research and talk to a doctor to find out what nutrients you are missing so you can tailor your diet to it. That is what is important.
  • skinnnybride
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for 6 years and I found that it affected my immune system. I was constantly sick which was not how I was before going vegetarian. Now I am a pescatarian. I eat all kinds of seafood but that's it as far as "meat". No chicken, pork, red meat, ect.

Anyways, to answer your question. When I was going vegetarian, I stocked up on soy meat products (morningstar, boca, ect.) and ate those instead along with allowing a few real meat products. I basically weaned myself off of meat.

Who cares what others think. My family thought I was nuts but once they see you are seriously doing this, the comments will stop.

Good luck!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I am pescatarian and love it. I don't eat any beef, pig, or chicken. No real eggs for the most part, and occasional cheese, though I do enjoy yogurt (for female health).

When people ask me why, I tell them that my body functions better on this diet. There are a lot of nights that I give my family the fish/shellfish and eat the veggies.

In no way do I restrict my kids' diets though. This is how I cook at home, but when we go out or to a friends' house, or they go to school, they eat a normal diet with the typical meats.

An added benefit? Eating mostly vegetarian/Pesca has reduced my food bill quite a bit! :bigsmile:
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    For me I went cold turkey.......I just woke up and phoned my husband and said I'm not eating meat anymore. It wasn't due to any book, video or anything. I had been wanting to do it for quite awhile and finally just did it. I was veggie back in my teens and liked it but had to rely on my moms cooking so it wasn't as easy and eventually I went back to eating meat but this time I'm an adult and I do all the cooking so I control it all.

I am now actually vegan and that took a bit more planning, I experimented with all the different dairy substitutes out there while eating vegetarian and finally sept 1st 2011 I was ready and I haven't looked back.

I feel great and the scale is moving again, I like that my entire family eats healthier now and for me it works. I want to say my hubby and kids are not vegetarian but eat like me 90% of the time and eat meat and dairy whenever else.
  • candykay89
    candykay89 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and did it because i wanted to. I have been a vegetarian for almost 10 years. I do not drink milk because i do not like it, but I use egg beaters and milk products if and when i feel like it. If you want to cut meat out just do it. I just cut meat out first including chicken then I stopped eating seafoods and I feel great. When you are really ready to be a vegetarian you will see that it is not that difficult to do. You just have to be ready!
  • nallynell
    Options
    There are great vegetarian blogs with wonderful recipes, it makes
    not eating meat a lot better when you see the wonderful foods you can eat and make
    in opposition to meat. A lot of them are a lot healthier too! :)
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and the rest of my family are big meat eaters too. It's not a big deal though. If my dad grills burgers, he sticks on a couple veggie burgers for me. We recently found Yves vegan bologna slices, and things like that fill out sandwiches nicely.

A few things to consider:

1. Vegetarian does not mean healthy. Cheezits and cakes and things like that are vegetarian, haha.
    2. If you're in it for moral reasons, like me, you'll quickly realize how many things have animal products: Gummy things and jello have gelatin, not vegetarian. Some cakey things, like Hostess products, have beef fat. Soups, a lot of the time, have beef/chicken stock. The list gets longer all the time.
    3. Iron is the one thing I've had to take a vitamin for. If you eat enough vegetables and things with iron you won't have too, but keep in mind that you need to find things like iron and protein somewhere else now that you don't get it from meat.
    4. Despite the above, YOU DO NOT NEED MEAT TO BE HEALTHY. You can be an unhealthy vegetarian, sure, but it's not because you cut out meat.
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth I'm a vegetarian of 3 years and I think it's all about motivation. I would second reading Eating Animals and Watching Food Inc. I'm not sure you're going to lose a bunch of weight but it can reduce your cholesterol and saturated fat like woah. I'm in it more for for environmental reasons and love it

Ultimately I think if you're eating enough delicious vegetarian food and have the facts on your side it won't be so bad

It's way less hard than it seems and if you fall off the wagon get back on its not the end of the world

Good luck

Oh and you can tell your family I hate PETA too :)
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Accept the fact that people will endless ridicule you. The reason they do this is because you're thinking outside of the box of what our sick society has brought us up to be, and they don't want to be challenged on thinking about their choices themselves. People hate anything outside of their comfort zone. As far as tips on how tto stop eating it 1 read the world peace diet 2 watch earthlings and watch it all the way through without looking away and 3 figure out what's hardest to give up for you and then either buy or make a good substitute for it. I am vegan and I didn't really care about meat that much so the hardest things for me were cheese and ranch dressing. So now I buy daiya dairy free cheese and its delish. And while I was transitioning I found a recipe online for vegan ranch, so I juset made that all the time till I got tired of it and now I don't give a crap about ranch. Good luck!!