So easy! It was a piece of cake!

Options
A surprise birthday cake celebration broke out for a coworker today brought by our clients. Was very nice to get to celebrate a birthday for them. Very nice.

I looked at the cake. Thought, good nice, just had lunch.

Every one eating it including me, we were chatting all things birthday and stuff. Then, in the middle of it, I remembered MFP.

I thought, no, why am I eating this piece of cake?

B/c I've always ate cake b4?
B/c everyone else is eating it?

I ate half and stopped eating. I could sense everyone felt compelled to finish it as a gesture to thank the client b/c the client was kind and nice enough to buy it. It was. But, I realized sitting there that I didn't have to finish it.

As I see others eating it, I could sense they were finishing it all b/c they were being nice to the client who bought the cake. I thought, no, I'm not going to finish it b/c I no longer want the cake. I don't have to be nice to the clients by eating it all. Eat a few bites as a thank you. BUT, the person I want to be nice to the most is ME. Me, me, me, me, me! As my profile says, I'm doing it for me.

I put my fork down and just sat there and watched them eat. I had no more appetite for that cake. I only had appetite for my life. As I sat there realizing this is one of those times I didn't finish eating what was on my plate, I felt a sense of triumph and knew that I was going to tell you all here on MFP.

I knew all of you would understand what happened today was big. Yet, it was easy to do. It was for me. It was a challenge yet I did it, I did not succumb to subtle societal pressures, I did it. Me combined with the help of MFP.

I did it. It was easy. :happy: A piece of cake.

Replies

• heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    A surprise birthday cake celebration broke out for a coworker today brought by our clients. Was very nice to get to celebrate a birthday for them. Very nice.

I looked at the cake. Thought, good nice, just had lunch.

Every one eating it including me, we were chatting all things birthday and stuff. Then, in the middle of it, I remembered MFP.

I thought, no, why am I eating this piece of cake?

B/c I've always ate cake b4?
    B/c everyone else is eating it?

I ate half and stopped eating. I could sense everyone felt compelled to finish it as a gesture to thank the client b/c the client was kind and nice enough to buy it. It was. But, I realized sitting there that I didn't have to finish it.

As I see others eating it, I could sense they were finishing it all b/c they were being nice to the client who bought the cake. I thought, no, I'm not going to finish it b/c I no longer want the cake. I don't have to be nice to the clients by eating it all. Eat a few bites as a thank you. BUT, the person I want to be nice to the most is ME. Me, me, me, me, me! As my profile says, I'm doing it for me.

I put my fork down and just sat there and watched them eat. I had no more appetite for that cake. I only had appetite for my life. As I sat there realizing this is one of those times I didn't finish eating what was on my plate, I felt a sense of triumph and knew that I was going to tell you all here on MFP.

I knew all of you would understand what happened today was big. Yet, it was easy to do. It was for me. It was a challenge yet I did it, I did not succumb to subtle societal pressures, I did it. Me combined with the help of MFP.

I did it. It was easy. :happy: A piece of cake.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I had cake at my job a couple of weeks ago it was such a small slice everyone at my job commended my determination to not over indulge I was very proud of myself and the cake was good and that little itty bitty tiny slice was good and satisfied me. If I want something I have a little bit and fit it in my calories for the day

So good job
  • heal4444
    Options
    tks., very proud of my self!! :happy: :happy: One small step can change my life!! I'm sensing it was a ding ding light bulb moment. :happy:
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    That's great! I haven't been faced with such a temptation since the holidays, thank goodness.
    Good for you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • heal4444
    Options
    Tks Georg! Tks so much for the congrats. :happy: It was truly a life changing moment. :happy: :heart: :heart:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    awesome! love how you wrote this too! :drinker:
  • heal4444
    Options
    :blushing:
    Aw, golly, shucks, thanks!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    WTG I agree that very well written!!!
  • heal4444
    Options
    Aww, :blushing: Tks Lisarillen for the congrats and saying it was well written too.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I hope I can be as strong as you!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I MUST SAY, I AM EXTREMELY PROUD OF YOU !!!!!!!
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!

MEMAW:flowerforyou:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!! I turned down birthday cake and banana pudding yesterday as well!! We can do it!!! :smile:
  • heal4444
    Options
    hotmomo4,memaw66,ma9321, thanks so much for the kind words. And you turned down bday cake and banada pudding!!! Good for you! Say Yes to our lives by saying No!! Yeah, we can do it!

And today, they put out chocolate chip cookies, and I didn't even think about them.

It was so easy to pass up chocolate chip cookies today! It was a piece of cake! :wink:
  • ma9321
    ma9321 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    hotmomo4,memaw66,ma9321, thanks so much for the kind words. And you turned down bday cake and banada pudding!!! Good for you! Say Yes to our lives by saying No!! Yeah, we can do it!

And today, they put out chocolate chip cookies, and I didn't even think about them.

It was so easy to pass up chocolate chip cookies today! It was a piece of cake! :wink:

LOL.... I'm so proud of you!!! I never thought I would be at a point in my life where I would pass up all the good/bad stuff. I know it's okay to have a little something here and there.... but sheesh... these people try to sabotage us with all kinds of bad stuff.
  • kellya
    kellya Posts: 208
    Options
    This is just an awesome story!! We all have that opportunity in in life, CHOICE, OUR choice!! and for us here on MFP, FOOD CHOICES!! You are kicking an old habit!! CONGRATS!!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    way to go, keep up the great work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!