Way off topic... flooring

Options
ccb1030
ccb1030 Posts: 84 Member
Does anyone know if it's possible to do a staircase in that laminate flooring (Pergo, etc.)? Bad idea, good idea? I HATE HATE HATE the carpet on my staircase, and wanted to swap it out for something that requires NO vacuuming, but real wood flooring looks REALLY expensive. Tell me everything you know about flooring on a staircase. Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Yeah you can do it, but the stairs are pretty slippery. The family dog will hate it!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What's under the carpet? Is it pretty rough or is it paintable?
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It can be done, we are considering doing this as we have a 3 floor house with cream stair carpets and 2 dogs, not a good mix! if you go on the 'quickstep' website there is a video showing how to fit it. it's expensive though compared to carpet as each step needs a special joining strip, if I remember rightly they are around £35 each, and it could be slippery if you don't wear shoes indoors!
  • ccb1030
    Options
    What's under the carpet? Is it pretty rough or is it paintable?

I haven't looked, but seeing as I live in a "cookie cutter" neighborhood, I'm sure it's just cheapy plywood.
  • ccb1030
    Options
    Yeah you can do it, but the stairs are pretty slippery. The family dog will hate it!

Would it be any more slippery than wood?
  • ccb1030
    Options
    It can be done, we are considering doing this as we have a 3 floor house with cream stair carpets and 2 dogs, not a good mix! if you go on the 'quickstep' website there is a video showing how to fit it. it's expensive though compared to carpet as each step needs a special joining strip, if I remember rightly they are around £35 each, and it could be slippery if you don't wear shoes indoors!

Yeah I didn't expect it to be cheap, but it seems like it would still be cheaper than real hardwood. I hate that my carpet traps all the dog hair. I have to brush it out of the joints in the stairs before I even vacuum it, then it's not really fun to get down on my hands and knees to vacuum with the attachments. I wonder if that commercial grade carpet (like the stuff that's flat, and not really "fluffy") would be better than the carpet that's on there now.