Eating Disorders

Options
13»

Replies

• sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Ive struggled with eating disorders since I was younger. It started out as binge eating and over eating, but my family all did it so I believe that it was a normal thing to do. When I got older my mother would comment to me about how I was fat and needed to lose weight or I would be alone the rest of my life (my mother was overweight and had relationship problems since she started dating). That started my desire to not eat, which I easily did since my family worked and I would just tell them that I had already eaten dinner before they got home. This got harder to do when my grandma started staying at home, so I was forced to eat, which I would promplty purge after going outside to 'feed the dog', I would hide out in the woods and be rid of the food. Going into high school it became easier to not eat because I was always 'doing homework' and ate late at night after everyone else had, that food went to the cats. I would binge and purge because I was so disgusted with my appearance (I was never really skinny because my family was big on eating out as well). I started doing activities in school and because they were school events, I couldnt get to the bathroom or anywhere for that matter without having a buddy around, this made it difficult and many of my friends finally took notice of my eating problems. With their help and support I was able to start eating normal, but that quickly turned back to over eating and binging and having whatever I wanted. I relapsed 3 years ago and purged for the first time when my husband and I found out I had PCOS and were unable to have a baby without any help. After purging I looked at myself and through tears and hatred I promised I would fix this, and stop myself from slowly killing my body. It's difficult, it's not easy, especially knowing the results I used to have as a teen...but Ive made friends who have conquered this problem as well and we talk to each other constantly, especially when we feel like we are losing our grip. I still have a severe relationship with food where, I want it...for no reason, just a desire to taste it and to have it. But I'm working on that...and I'm getting better with it. So if anyone feels a need for support please feel free to add me. I know it's hard, and some days are great others are not...but it is possible to fix whatever you're going through.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Recovering from Anorexia. It's a lot harder some days then others, and I often become defensive when people talk about what I'm eating. For example, if someone says "oh there's 20 more calories on that" I tend to get angry and not want to eat it anymore.

It's that voice in the back of my head that won't shove it. I have been fighting this for about 2 years now - Don't want to go back to the hospital, so I keep eating.. But that voice won't stop nagging.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Recovering bulimic here. I have not purged in over 10 months and have not binged since joining this site. Like an earlier poster mentioned, I actually gained weight through my ED. This site has really, really helped me develop and understand healthy balanced eating habits. I no longer even feel the need to binge because I know I can have whatever I want within reason and in moderation. Planning out my day ahead of time also helps me not attach emotions to food- emotional eating was a big part of my b/p cycles. I don't decide what I'm going to eat for dinner based on how I feel anymore. I have never struggled with restricting, so that's not a concern for me as far as using the site.
  • dancin2011
    dancin2011 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    In recovery from a long, life-threatening battle with eating disorders. I wish all of you the best of luck and will try to support you in any way that I can in your recoveries. Have a wonderful day!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    idk if this counts but i had anemia when i gave up meat. i was 16 and i didnt eat the right things so i got sick and rushed to the hospital. my friends and bf of the time got mad at me, took me to McDs and made me eat burgers, they were sweet