Do you wear your HRM all day

Options
or just when you are working out? I just got a Timex Ironman and wore it all day just to get used to it. The chest strap is surprisingly comfortable and I didn't mind wearing it at all. I was able to watch my calorie burn all day (I like to see things in real time rather than guessing) and was surprised by the numbers I saw. So, I'm just trying to decide if I should be wearing it all day or not.

Replies

• yeahbuddy
    Options
    or just when you are working out? I just got a Timex Ironman and wore it all day just to get used to it. The chest strap is surprisingly comfortable and I didn't mind wearing it at all. I was able to watch my calorie burn all day (I like to see things in real time rather than guessing) and was surprised by the numbers I saw. So, I'm just trying to decide if I should be wearing it all day or not.
  • ce_fit
    ce_fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I also have the Timex Ironman. I wore the chest strap one whole day once. I have not done it since. Good luck with your new investment, you will be surprised when you put it on & go out and shovel snow or go and do some gardening.
  • mom24qties
    Options
    What is an HRM, and where did you get it? It sounds interesting!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    There's no real need to wear it all day, since the round about number you'd burn lying around is 1200ish. I would think wearing it while you work out is the only time you need to. However, when I ski/board I wear it for about 8-10 hours that day, but always factor in my rest rate so I don't over-count my calories burned/
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    What is an HRM, and where did you get it? It sounds interesting!

An HRM is a heart rate monitor. Mine has a strap you put around your chest to monitor how many times per minute your heart beats and a watch for the data. It helps you to evaluate how hard you are or are not working out to gain the most benefit. I can't give the best explanation because I don't really understand exactly how it works, I just know it helps me see how many calories I burn during my workout. I got mine at SportMart and paid $100.00 for it.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    There's no real need to wear it all day, since the round about number you'd burn lying around is 1200ish. I would think wearing it while you work out is the only time you need to. However, when I ski/board I wear it for about 8-10 hours that day, but always factor in my rest rate so I don't over-count my calories burned/

Yeah, I think I've decided not to wear it all day. But what do you mean by factor in your rest rate?
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I also have the Timex Ironman. I wore the chest strap one whole day once. I have not done it since. Good luck with your new investment, you will be surprised when you put it on & go out and shovel snow or go and do some gardening.

Thanks. I'll have to find some other outdoor activity because I don't live where it snows and I'm not much of a gardener. But I can put up a wrought iron fence with the best of 'em:bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I've worn it all day before.

It's a good way to find out what your maintenance calories are.

Most adults will burn well over 1200 calories for a day. Unless you are extremely short (in the neighborhood of 4' 10" and weigh somewhere around 110 lbs). For instance,
    a 5'5" 30 year old woman weighing about 150 lbs would have a maintenance somewhere around
    1950 calories per day.

But that's an estimate based on calculations. If you wear it for 24 hours you can find out what really is your maintenance. In some cases your metabolism may run hotter or colder (faster or slower) then the norm. In which case that estimate would be off. Luckily you can modify your numbers in MFP by redoing your goals, choosing custom, and putting in your maintenance calories manually.

One note if you want to do this. Don't work out that day, and only do it on a day where you will be doing your normal daily stuff. It doesn't work if you do anything out of your normal daily activity (either less or more)
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    I've worn it all day before.

It's a good way to find out what your maintenance calories are.

Most adults will burn well over 1200 calories for a day. Unless you are extremely short (in the neighborhood of 4' 10" and weigh somewhere around 110 lbs). For instance,
    a 5'5" 30 year old woman weighing about 150 lbs would have a maintenance somewhere around
    1950 calories per day.

But that's an estimate based on calculations. If you wear it for 24 hours you can find out what really is your maintenance. In some cases your metabolism may run hotter or colder (faster or slower) then the norm. In which case that estimate would be off. Luckily you can modify your numbers in MFP by redoing your goals, choosing custom, and putting in your maintenance calories manually.

One note if you want to do this. Don't work out that day, and only do it on a day where you will be doing your normal daily stuff. It doesn't work if you do anything out of your normal daily activity (either less or more)

Thanks for the respose. If you don't mind, I'd like to message you to get more detailed information on what you have explained?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    be my guest:happy:

I haven't done it in a while so I decided to do it again today. My Resting heart rate is lower then it was the last time I did it (on average so far). So I imagine my resting metabolic rate has lowered by a few dozen calories. Not a big deal, but it's encouraging as the lower your resting heart rate, the better shape your heart and vascular system is generally in.

Since I just did a nasty HIIT/anaerobic workout yesterday, and I'm planning a Tabata Protocol workout tomorrow (gulp!) I figured today would be a perfect day off to give my muscles time to recover and prepare.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    be my guest:happy:

I haven't done it in a while so I decided to do it again today. My Resting heart rate is lower then it was the last time I did it (on average so far). So I imagine my resting metabolic rate has lowered by a few dozen calories. Not a big deal, but it's encouraging as the lower your resting heart rate, the better shape your heart and vascular system is generally in.

Since I just did a nasty HIIT/anaerobic workout yesterday, and I'm planning a Tabata Protocol workout tomorrow (gulp!) I figured today would be a perfect day off to give my muscles time to recover and prepare.

Great:bigsmile: I consider you a great wealth of information so really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.
  • Chellekk
    Options

Yeah, I think I've decided not to wear it all day. But what do you mean by factor in your rest rate?

Because you burn 1200 a day by just laying around, the HRM factors that in already, so after an hour of exercise, it'll give you 50 calories PLUS however many you burn during your gym time, jogging, what ever.

Exp: 60 min jog.
    HRM total shows CAL BURNED: 550.
    That includes 50 CAL of your rest rate, so I subtract 550-50 = 500 for your total "extra" calories burned.

I would only enter 500 on my exercise log. Hope that makes sense and helps.

Another EXP:
    On a day where I am teaching (snowboarding) I leave the HRM on for many hours.
    SO:
    8 hour day. I leave the monitor on the whole time, even thru my lunch break and take the total given at the end of the day minus 400. (8 hrs xs 50 = 400) and enter that amount. It makes it easy, so I don't have to constantly start and stop it.
  • Chellekk
    Options
    PS. I wore my HRM while watching TV one night for an hour to see what my HR was. It's actually lower then 50, but I like to use 50 as an average, since it's easy to subtract and already shows on my food log. (1200 Divided by 24)
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    PS. I wore my HRM while watching TV one night for an hour to see what my HR was. It's actually lower then 50, but I like to use 50 as an average, since it's easy to subtract and already shows on my food log. (1200 Divided by 24)

OK, it took me a while, but I think I finally got it. If I understand correctly, last night I did 65 minutes on the elliptical (including cool down) and burned 895 calories but should only enter 845. So, basically you should just subtract 50 from any workout you do. Am I right? Is the 50 for everyone or is there some way to figure that out individually?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    OK so far today, at rest (no exercise, at my desk all day) I'm averaging 112 cals/hour

that's pretty good,

6 months ago I was at 122 cals/hour. That means my resting heart rate has dropped 8% (if this holds)

I guess my exercise has been working.

I should go get my VO2 MAX checked.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options
    OK so far today, at rest (no exercise, at my desk all day) I'm averaging 112 cals/hour

that's pretty good,

6 months ago I was at 122 cals/hour. That means my resting heart rate has dropped 8% (if this holds)

So, the harder your heart has to work at rest the more cals you burn? I'm really getting confused on this whole thing as I'm just learning but I want to learn as much as I can to do the best thing for my body. I'm still going to message you, I just haven't had time to develop the questions I have for you.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

that's pretty good,

So, the harder your heart has to work at rest the more cals you burn? I'm really getting confused on this whole thing as I'm just learning but I want to learn as much as I can to do the best thing for my body. I'm still going to message you, I just haven't had time to develop the questions I have for you.

Well sort of, it's kinda complicated, all you really need to know is a slow heartbeat is a good indicator of overall health. Because the when your heart works hard when you are at rest, it generally means it's compensating for either plaque or a deficiency somewhere, or some vital nutrient isn't being delivered in sufficient quantity...etc . But a nice low resting heart rate means your body is probably in pretty good shape.
  • yeahbuddy
    Options

that's pretty good,

Well sort of, it's kinda complicated, all you really need to know is a slow heartbeat is a good indicator of overall health. Because the when your heart works hard when you are at rest, it generally means it's compensating for either plaque or a deficiency somewhere, or some vital nutrient isn't being delivered in sufficient quantity...etc . But a nice low resting heart rate means your body is probably in pretty good shape.

Yeah, I kinda figured it was something like that.