Bumping up a blueberry smoothie nutrition?

Options
I like blue berry smoothies and recently got a blender so I want to make my own. From what I noticed from smoothie places is that they have little to no nutrition and I want to add more in but I'm not sure of the best way how or most affordable way. I found a basic reciepe which I'll probably sub the milk/soy milk for pineapple juice or water and it calls for blue berries and flax seed. I saw a video on youtube of a super healthy one but I just won't be able to find all that crap around me and some of it is so expensive that I don't want to buy it and turn out that it affects the taste so much that it's not good.

I would like to add extra:
fiber (planned on using benefiber)
protein
aloe
ginger
and some sort of natural energizing supplement

Does anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• aweightymatter
    Options
    Chia seeds for fiber!
    Protein powder of your choice... There are many different kinds; I think the whey ones taste the best but there are plenty of other options if you don't do dairy.
    Add half a banana, and 1.5 - 2 c. raw spinach. The blueberries and banana will cover the taste of spinach, so boom, extra sneak serving of veggies. ;)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Add a raw egg, and a banana.

Banana's are high in fiber, potassium. The health benefits of banana's exceed the carb content.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds for fiber!
    Protein powder of your choice... There are many different kinds; I think the whey ones taste the best but there are plenty of other options if you don't do dairy.
    Add half a banana, and 1.5 - 2 c. raw spinach. The blueberries and banana will cover the taste of spinach, so boom, extra sneak serving of veggies. ;)

Never thought of adding spinach... interesting call. Will have to try it.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Add a raw egg, and a banana.

Banana's are high in fiber, potassium. The health benefits of banana's exceed the carb content.

thanks I forgot completely about bananas. Odd, I don't like eating them but I like them in smoothies.
  • aweightymatter
    Options
    Chia seeds for fiber!

Never thought of adding spinach... interesting call. Will have to try it.

As a warning, it turns the whole smoothie green... I personally find the color festive, haha, but you won't taste it under the banana!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies - I eat one almost every morning for breakfast. Depending upon the day and my nutritional needs, and in addition to frozen blueberries, I'll add:

- whey protein (I like The Organic Whey) or organic vanilla Greek yogurt for protein
    - a banana
    - strawberries
    - light vanilla soymilk (just to thin it out a little and certainly when I use the whey protein)

Super delicious! I've also been known to make another (non-blueberry) smoothie with vanilla Greek yogurt, a banana, peanut butter, and light chocolate soymilk... delish!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I used a premix smoothie since that's what I had and I mixed in chia seeds, macro greens and good belly juice with ice and water. It was pretty good! Though since I got some blueberries and bananas I'll try that next and I'll add the yogurt I bought. I want to get a protein powder but I'm worried about it affecting the taste?
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    1/2 large ripe banana broken into chunks - Tip: When your bananas become ripe, cut them into chunks and put them in a baggie. Put ithem in the freezer. This way it is very easy and saves time in the morning. I put fresh blueberries in the freezer as well.

1/3 cup protein powder or soy protein powder

1/2 TBSP Flaxseed oil

1/3 cup frozen blueberries

1/2 TBSP of honey

1 tsp psyllium seed husks

powdered vitamins

8 oz of water

Ice

Blend until smooth

I've thought about adding spinach and substituting fresh carrot juice for the water.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Just a note on adding greens, start with a small bit at first then increase the amount you use. Spinach is the best to start with since it is the mildest. You do acquire a taste for it, and can start adding more. Don't just use spinach, kale, chard, collard greens and other greens are full of vitamins and minerals. Kale is probably one of the most nutrient dense foods out there.
    Google green smoothie recipes for ideas. Here are a few ideas
    http://www.smoothie-handbook.com/green-smoothie.html
    I usually buy two types of greens and rotate through different ones.