Sodium

Options
How much sodium is good I tend to be on the low side but is this going to effect me with doing lots of exercise and sweating a lot???

Replies

• tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    How much sodium is good I tend to be on the low side but is this going to effect me with doing lots of exercise and sweating a lot???
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I try to stay at 1500 mg nothing more nothing less.It has helped me keep dropping weight but everyone is different.How much sodium are you consuming?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I also stay at around 1500 (the daily minimum) and the daily max is 2500 I believe......
  • tazzy
    Options
    around 600 seems be where I am most days although on high cal days it is higher than that around 2000.
    I eat a lot of fish and try to keep it low but I am thinking it may be too low.
  • PurdyMommy
    PurdyMommy Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    around 600 seems be where I am most days although on high cal days it is higher than that around 2000.

What does your food log look like... I eat WAY TO MUCH SODIUM(2000-3000)... PLEASE help me make a list of foods that arent high in sodium!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I eat way too much too. But I love salt. I add it to everything. My dad loves salt, so does his dad, so it comes to me honestly. I figure, my grandfather is in his 70s and only now started to have to worry about his blood pressure. My dad's blood pressure's still good, and so is mine. So I'm gonna enjoy salt while I can.

I :heart: salt.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

What does your food log look like... I eat WAY TO MUCH SODIUM(2000-3000)... PLEASE help me make a list of foods that arent high in sodium!

2000 to 3000 isn't WAY to much. It's slightly too much. 5000 is WAY too much. The recommendation by the FDA is UP TO 2400 mg per day for the average adult. If you can find a way to cut down to 2000 or below you are doing perfectly with it.

And you absolutely NEED 500 mg a day to keep healthy. Sodium regulates extra cellular fluid levels in the body and also helps other functions such as nerve transmission and acidity in the body. People who work out a lot need more as well.

here is an article from the mayo clinic that describes sodium.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284
  • tazzy
    Options
    Thanks Banks I will look at that article tonight. On my lower cal days like the days when I have 1300 to 1500 I tend to eat fish and brown rice and veg with oatmeal for breccy and like soup with 1 piece of bread for lunch etc to fill myself up on higher cal day I eat baked potatoes with salt rubbed on them which is why they are higher sodium days plus I have a small bar of dark choc or a cookie or 2 on those days as well but I just got to thinking that maybe I was having too little I just need to find a balance I do take a kelp supplement for the iodine to aid thyroid function just need to find a balance.
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Fruits aren't high in sodium and neither are veggies.Just keep an eye on your meats and salted nuts things like that can get really high really quick.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'll try and find the post later, but a good estimate of how much sodium you should take in is 1 mg per calorie. Therefore if you eat 1200 calories, then you should have 1200 mg of sodium. If you workout to the point where you need to eat 3000 calories just to stay at what you exercised, then you should eat 3000 mg of sodium. If you are working out this much, you need the extra sodium to replace what you lost.

NO this is not too much, and there are studies that back this up.
    YES this well researched.

I hope this helps.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I'll try and find the post later, but a good estimate of how much sodium you should take in is 1 mg per calorie. Therefore if you eat 1200 calories, then you should have 1200 mg of sodium. If you workout to the point where you need to eat 3000 calories just to stay at what you exercised, then you should eat 3000 mg of sodium. If you are working out this much, you need the extra sodium to replace what you lost.

NO this is not too much, and there are studies that back this up.
    YES this well researched.

I hope this helps.

While I never heard this method before. I like it. That's pretty good. good call fgr.