Any success stories with improved snoring or sleep apnea

Options
2»

Replies

• JobasIsaacs
    JobasIsaacs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to snore so loudly it would wake the neighbours. I no longer snore. Losing weight has made a huge difference.
  • daydream58
    daydream58 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Only obstructive apnea is caused by weight. I used to have a touch of that, but it's gone now for good!

On the other hand, my normal weight husband has the systemic form where his brain actually tells his body not to breathe. I made a lot more noise, but my husband is the one with the actual serious problem. Well mine COULD have been serious too and certainly has a pretty long list of health detriments from brain function to safe driving to normal bodily functions working properly, but yeah, my husband actually stops breathing even though there's nothing physically blocking his breathing, his brain is doing it.

Of course because he isn't overweight or aware of what he's doing every night while asleep, I can't get him to take it seriously. I keep an eye on it as best I can but he's got to realize it's a problem and take action himself if he's going to follow through on it I suppose. No amount of my opinion seems to sway him on anything - perfectly normal husband in that regard I suppose!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    When I got fat, the throat blubber choked me at night, and I used a cpap with success, then had the energy to kick my program into gear.

Once I lost the weight, I no longer needed the cpap, and today, all is well.

I sleep very well.
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I used to snore horrible, my husband would have to poke me several times during the night because I was keeping him awake and the kids could hear me in their rooms. I still snore...once in a while but it is nothing like it used to be, I snore just like any other person does now and it is not every night. So yes losing weight does help in the snoring department. Good luck!
  • Hikaru37
    Hikaru37 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Alot of these stories are heartening as I have sleep apnea too. I use a bipap every single night, and now I can't sleep without it. If I tried, my boyfriend would insist I wear it. He says I snore so bad and gasp for air that he can't sleep. I'm truly hoping that losing weight will help with this. I didn't get this until I hit a certain. Before that, I don't think I had a problem with snoring.
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    Yes.

I quit drinking and my snoring got quieter.

I quit smoking and it got even better.

I started eating right (which cleared up my acid reflux) and it got better still.

I lost weight.

I haven't heard my wife complain about it in a VERY long time, so maybe it's gone??

I hope so, those are some amazing positive changes
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    Alot of these stories are heartening as I have sleep apnea too. I use a bipap every single night, and now I can't sleep without it. If I tried, my boyfriend would insist I wear it. He says I snore so bad and gasp for air that he can't sleep. I'm truly hoping that losing weight will help with this. I didn't get this until I hit a certain. Before that, I don't think I had a problem with snoring.

My mother also has sleep apnea and I am noticing myself waking up gasping for air. Everyone complains of my snoring so I hope weight loss will help
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    Yes me. At my worst I was put in a sleep study and they woke me up after just 2 hours to hook me up to a CPAP. I was averaging 70 sleep disruptions per hour. I couldn't sleep for a full minute at a time. I was always drained and incredibly unhealthy. I was also carrying around over 100 pounds too many. I never did get used to using the CPAP. After I'd lost around 80 pounds the snoring completely disappeared. I sleep like a baby through the night. Everyone in this house is happier.
    That makes me feel so good to know that there is hope for me!
  • Want2weigh165
    Options
    I used to snore horrible, my husband would have to poke me several times during the night because I was keeping him awake and the kids could hear me in their rooms. I still snore...once in a while but it is nothing like it used to be, I snore just like any other person does now and it is not every night. So yes losing weight does help in the snoring department. Good luck!

Thanks a lot!!
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    Not sure if I had sleep apnea or not but once I lost about 10 pounds I realized I was sleeping better. I no longer had insomnia and I would fall asleep within 30 minutes of laying down. Also, I don't feel as exhausted during the day and don't take naps when I get home anymore.
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm a sleep tech and if you think you need a sleep study, or someone tells you that you snore loudly or stop breathing in your sleep you better get one. If you are currently on CPAP therapy, I would recommend having a repeat study with about every 40-50 lbs you lose... depending of course on your weight to begin with. Obstructive sleep apnea should improve with weight loss, but there may be other reasons for no improvement. In the case of the gentleman who lost weight and the pressure was increased instead of decreased, I'm guessing there are underlying areas.

If you are on narcotic pain medications or sleeping pills on a regular basis you should also have a sleep study. These types of drugs commonly cause central apnea, which is just as bad physically on your body.

If you don't understand what quitting breathing for a few seconds all night long does to your body... in a nutshell, your heart is working furiously to try to maintain normal breathing. Your heart can't continue to do this night after night, and eventually it will stop.

My 49 year old sister died on Christmas morning, and although we don't yet know the cause of death, I'm guessing it was probably her heart. And I'm guessing that was a result of years of central apneas caused by years of narcotic dependency.

If you have any concerns, don't hesitate to speak to your physician and DEMAND a sleep study. If anyone has questions feel free to message me and I will do my best to steer you in the right direction.
  • JuliesJourney
    JuliesJourney Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am awaiting a sleep study and am glad to read the advice to recheck after 40 to 50 pounds lost.
  • rswood62
    rswood62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!