How do I start to exercise??

Options
I used to be very active a couple of years back, YES YEARS! I am so ashamed but I got off that boat and I am desperate to get back on. I have been trying to work out now but its not the same, I will jump rope, jog in place and do the stationary bike but that is it. I want to join a gym but I don't even know where to start. I have gained over thirty pounds since March of 2011 and I am trying to lose them. I have lost 4 but I really want to knock the remanding off. I will now explain to you that I have a phobia of vomiting and every time I work out to the point that my heart begins to race I start to feel like I am going to get sick so then I avoid exercise. I have seen many times people start to work out and they get sick like on those weight loss shows and what not and I DON'T want that to happen to me. So I know I NEED to start off slow but HOW??? My goal is to be able to work out like a normal person again with out feeling ill afterwards. I don't know where to begin SLOWLY. Should I start aerobics, yoga, climbing stairs, should I even join a gym right now? I need help and I would appreciate anyone's words of advice or encouragement. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Well, first the people on weight loss shows are idiots and they barf because of the extreme diets combined with intense excersize and very poor health. Plus, I'm sure the gym has someone to clean that up for you.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with walking, or maybe C25K?

Either of those will get you started again, but at a rate that shouldn't make you upchuck.
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start with walking, or maybe C25K?

Either of those will get you started again, but at a rate that shouldn't make you upchuck.

C25K - completely agreed. An easy way to get started with cardio.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    walk, yoga, wii fit, anything that gets you off the couch and moving. had a car accident last spring and was at the gym two hrs a day and then with the injuries and depression that came with not working out by the time I could workout again I had a really hard time getting back at it. but the first week is always the hardest and i am an all or nothing person but i didnt get anywhere near puking. felt like i was gonna die but no puking. the gym has people there especially this time of yr that can help you start slow. swimming is good also.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You might want to start out with yoga. I can't believe the difference it has made for me. In yoga, you work to your own level. In the classes I take, the teacher provides modifications for people who are new or for people who are very experienced. Yoga provides a great work out and at the same time gives strategies for relaxation and stress relief. Whatever you do, don't over do things at the start. Good luck:wink:
  • Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    What did you enjoy doing before? Start doing it again, just a little slower than you did when you were a healthy weight. 30lbs is not a huge amount of excess weight-when I joined MFP I had 86lbs to lose and I was still doing all of my "sports" although it would certainly have been easier if I wasn't so overweight!

As other posters have said, the people on those weight loss shows are not doing things the way that regular people would be doing them.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    when i started wanted to lose weight, i started riding my bike outdoors. loved the outdoors. i was putting in a lot of miles in the saddle. when i started to do strength training i read this article: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

when i started at a commercial gym, i read this: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/02/15/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/08/09/infiltrating-the-empire-how-to-workout-properly-in-a-commercial-gym/
  • caligirl04
    caligirl04 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just start...one foot in front of the other. There are some good apps for iPhone. I use Beatburn by Lolo for walking. It mixes it up and I enjoy it. I also found this website, http://www.strength-training-woman.com that really helps with learning more about strength training...which I believe is the KEY to loosing fat.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started by seeing a dietician and my family doctor. I have certain limitations because of two knee replacements and since I am still in the healing process with one of them, it was recommended I do acquatics. So I joined our local YMCA and started taking acquatic classes. I love it. The Y has fitness trainers at your disposal and every possible type of exercise you can possibly think of.

My year of healing is up on my last knee replacement in January, so I've started now doing some beginner/low intensity Wii fitness CDs. Hopefully I'll get to increase my exercise level after my one year checkup.

The key is MOVE. Do something you love doing and get off the couch and go for it. Don't try to do everything the first day, week, etc. but do something.

A trainer at the YMCA or a local gym would be a great way to start. Also, if you have any special physical challenges, start with your doctor. I continue to see my dietician monthly and I've not been to the doctor since I started so I'm really excited to see him next month for my annual blood work/etc to be able to surprise him.

Wishing you much success in whatever you choose. Believe and it will happen!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Just get up and do it. That's what I had to tell myself! Try lots of different activities and find what you enjoy. Also discover that you are strong and won't be getting sick. Be kind to yourself and work hard but not insane until you build some strength and endurance, then kill those workouts with everything you've got!
  • ricardo40
    Options
    Start walking and built it up to running & cycling in sets of 5/10 minutes you need to stick at it at least 3 times a week.
    You'll soon start feeling it in your legs and waistline.
    good luck
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I started by seeing a dietician and my family doctor. I have certain limitations because of two knee replacements and since I am still in the healing process with one of them, it was recommended I do acquatics. So I joined our local YMCA and started taking acquatic classes. I love it. The Y has fitness trainers at your disposal and every possible type of exercise you can possibly think of.

My year of healing is up on my last knee replacement in January, so I've started now doing some beginner/low intensity Wii fitness CDs. Hopefully I'll get to increase my exercise level after my one year checkup.

The key is MOVE. Do something you love doing and get off the couch and go for it. Don't try to do everything the first day, week, etc. but do something.

A trainer at the YMCA or a local gym would be a great way to start. Also, if you have any special physical challenges, start with your doctor. I continue to see my dietician monthly and I've not been to the doctor since I started so I'm really excited to see him next month for my annual blood work/etc to be able to surprise him.

Wishing you much success in whatever you choose. Believe and it will happen!

I did the same thing. I have thyroid and hip problems. The ortho doctor recommended swimming, biking or the elliptical. I joined a gym but have so much trouble motivating myself. I even bought a Wii. The endocrinologist told me based on my age and inability to do heavy training to eat no more then 1000 a day. She said I wont go into starvation Mode and thought it only happened in extreme cases. She was the third endocrinologist I saw. That is why I closed my diary.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Just put some running clothes on and go.

I hadn't run for 14 years when I started. One day I just set off and did a 7 km run.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Usually when you first join a gym the instructors will come up with a beginners program for you, usually involves short sessions on a few types of cardio such as treadmill/ rower/ stepper / bike / elliptical, and weight machines. Try it out for a few weeks and find out what you do / don't enjoy ( I love treadmill but absolutely hate rower!). You can increase/ decrease intensity if you need to. Program's are usually reviewed every 6-8 weeks and you can add new exercises as your fitness improves.
    Don't take any notice of how people work out on the tv program's, they take it to extremes to make better tv and I'm sure most gyms would not appreciate you throwing up on their equipment!
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just start walking, jog a little when you feel like it, and gradually get moving faster. It helps if you can track your calories burned/distance/time so you can see when you are getting faster and making progress. Make sure you are beating your previous times/calories and you will do great. I would suggest a gym if you don't have your own treadmill to monitor your progress, but I live in the frozen Ohio tundra and don't run outside much. A gym is great if you tend to get bored with one excercise easily, but I stick to my treadmill in the basement because the gym is too far away. If you can run/walk a few blocks and track your time, you don't need the gym. Also, make sure you STRETCH OUT before and after every time!!!
  • sheaz85
    sheaz85 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would start with Yoga or Pilates...something small like that. Maybe walking or stationary biking as well. These will all start to condition you.
  • jennabellaxoxo
    jennabellaxoxo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I dont work out in a gym, but I do swear by jillian michaels videos..I could barely do them at first! Now I can do 2 in a row full force. I also would feel lost at a gym...but would like to get to one one day! good luck!
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Also if you are considering going to a gym or the YMCA like I do, try to enlist a friend to go with you. I have a terrific exercise buddy, she's here on MFP also, and we go for acquatics and different classes together. It also helps making you get up and go a little easier when you have someone else to be accountable to. Remember everyone was a beginner at one time or another and I find it's always easier with a friend. With the Wii I always have an audience, my pups think I've gone stark raving mad or something. They sit in front of me watching my wild antics and clumsy moves. But they are a non-critical audience so i let them stay. LOL
  • Sd0510
    Sd0510 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I always tell people, if you really want to do something slow, put on music and dance for 20 minutes or so. It will definately get your heart rate up and no gym required. I go to the gym though, and as one poster said, there are many times I feel like I am going to die or pass out, but I have never felt like throwing up. If that is a big concern for you, don't drink milk or eat too much too soon before going to the gym or working out. Hope I helped. =)
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    What works for me is riding a bike. A real bike, outside! I use to work out in gyms with weights, but I really find it distracting.

Riding a bike is nice for me because the relatively light joint impact and the scenery (live in FL).

Hope you find something that you enjoy!

6921816.png