common mistakes

Options
is there a list of foods that people think are healthy that are actually not? If anyone knows of things to avoid on a daily basis to help with weight loss i would love to know about it! i know when i was pregnant years ago i drank tons of fruit juice thinking i was being so healthy and i ended up putting on 50 lbs with my first child because i didnt realize how much sugar i was consuming!!
Jo

Replies

• gemigirl68
    gemigirl68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    is there a list of foods that people think are healthy that are actually not? If anyone knows of things to avoid on a daily basis to help with weight loss i would love to know about it! i know when i was pregnant years ago i drank tons of fruit juice thinking i was being so healthy and i ended up putting on 50 lbs with my first child because i didnt realize how much sugar i was consuming!!
    Jo
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Lots of times people go to restaurants thinking "Oh! I'll get this *Whatever* Salad....and it won't be very many calories...so that'll be good for me." For example: Chili's Mesquite Chicken Salad has 1010 calories. If you want a speciality salad from a restaurant, ask what is on the salad....Is there anything you could remove to make it fewer calories....If you eat dressing, get it on the side...Is there a "Lighter" alternative on the menu.....And so on.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I don't have a list of foods to avoid - if I am questioning something I try to log it before I eat it or if we're out-typically if I am questioning how bad it is then it I'll skip it because I am probably right about how bad or maybe even worse. But if I thought thru it and asked myself "Self, is this worth it?" and I answer yes then I'll eat it in moderation. Takes away that nagging feeling of dieing to have something.
  • gemigirl68
    gemigirl68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    great advice chrissy and congrats on your progress!
    Jo
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice is one of those things that people think is great for them that's a common mistake. It does offer some vitamins, but a person is better off just eating fruit and drinking water. Really any thing that says "Fruit" on it that is not a piece of fruit isn't great for you "fruit chews", fruit drink ect. Salads are another thing. The veggies are great for you, but once you start putting stuff on it to make it a salad instead of just veggies you start making it fattening.

I try to log everything before I eat it, that way I know what I'm getting into before instead of after eating it, when it's too late.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I don't really believe in "bad" and "good" foods. I mean, we all know that candy and fast food are bad for us, but even that's ok once in awhile. Just watch your nutrient levels and try to keep them balanced. If you can do that successfully, you're on the right track.
  • doublenickel
    Options
    Hello. There's a website called whfoods.com (short for world's healthiest foods) that has a lot of excellent nutritional information. It helped me lose 80 pounds in about a year, and about 40 more over the last couple of years. It's only informational. By the way, I was 52 when I started, after many years of struggling with my weight. Good luck!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    the "Eat this Not That" books have some surprising information in them.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    One of the most helpful things I've heard is, "Don't drink your calories."
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I always choose eating my calories over drinking them. I can't even do a protein shake or anything like that. I would much rather eat them, so much more satisfying.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    An old dieters rule is "Never drink your fruit." It's amazing how much more satisfying fruit is when you eat it instead of drinking it! I stopped buying juices altogether and instead my husband and I share an orange or some other raw fruit. If you have blood sugar problems this is THE best way to get your fruit!

Mike Huckabee, former governor of Arkansas wrote a book called "Stop Digging Your Grave With Your Knife and Fork." In it he tells how apples helped him lose 100 pounds. He says the soluble fiber in a raw apple slows the body’s release of glucose, preventing sudden drops in blood sugar that trigger food cravings. Apples’ fiber fills you up faster, so you eat less and feel fuller for longer. A tennis ball-sized apple contains only about 80 calories – what a diet bargain!