half marathon training

Options
Hello! Now that I've been running 3-4 miles a day, 5 days a week, I've decided I need a goal. My first goal was a 10k because the most I've ever "raced" was a 5k but there are very few 10k races in my area, and not for several months. There are quite a few half marathons however and as I started looking at training plans, most of them are set up for 10-12 weeks which would be perfect for the races scheduled in my area in April. I have a question about cross training, though. Most of the plans I've looked at like Hal Higdon's include some type of strength or cross training 1 or 2 days a week. I can't afford a gym and would like to know what I could do to strength train to improve my running? Or if anyone has better ideas to train that would be great too, it seems like Jeff Galloway's plan is strictly running/walking but I've heard strength training benefits runners. Any help from experienced runners or anyone with similar goals would be great!

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    having a good goal is a great thing. you should really focus your efforts, and sign up for a half marathon. having a solid date that you need to be ready for is a great motivator.

to run and run far, you need to do two things: build your endurance, and build your speed. to build endurance you need to do 1-2 runs a week were you go a little further that you did last time. i wouldn't increase your run distance more then 10% at a time. no matter how good you feel, or how much you are "in the zone" you need to hold yourself back. this will prevent injury. to build your speed you need to do 2-3 runs a week at a short distance while doing some kind of interval training. i'm talking like a short distance that is anywhere from 1-4 miles long, and you do something like jog 3-4 minutes, and sprint 1 minute.

strength training can be a great supplement to your running. try doing strength training twice a week, and focus on things like squats, dead lifts, hip raises, and lunges. you will see an increased improvement on your running.

in this world of technology, there are a lot of apps you can use to track everything. iMapMyRun for your runs, and Evernote for strength training. really track how you are improving and feeling, and you will be able to see your progress.

by the way, i run with a camelbak backpack. its a backpack with a water bladder in it that you can drink from. filled with water it weighs about 6lbs. i put my phone (for run tracking) in it, with my wallet and keys. and when i ran my first race without it, i felt like i was flying.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That was all great advice! I'm really excited.