SUGAR DETOX ANYONE?

Options
ANYONE ELSE IN THE NEED OF SUGAR DETOX? Here's suggestions from a website to aid you on your mission-

How to eliminate sugar and white flour

Eliminating sugar is hard because it’s an addiction. But the physical cravings dissipate quickly once you stop eating it. Here are some tips for how you can successfully do this with a whole body cleanse.

I recommend starting the same day you cut your caffeine intake in half.
The tried and true method from my experience with thousands of patients: Go cold turkey from all white flour and sugar products. (Don’t cheat — it will only make it worse!)
Include protein for breakfast, such as eggs, nuts, seeds, nut butters or a protein shake.
Combine “good” protein, “good” fat and “good” carbs at each meal. (Good fats are fish, extra virgin olive oil, olives, nuts, seeds and avocados. Good carbs are beans, vegetables, whole grains and fruit. Good proteins are fish, organic eggs, small amounts of lean poultry, nuts, soy, whole grains and legumes.)
Don’t go low-fat. Consume olive oil, olives, nuts, seeds and avocados every day. Despite commonly held beliefs, these good fats are NOT fattening.
Eat every three hours. Snack on nuts and seeds such as almonds, walnuts or pumpkin seeds (raw or dry-roasted only). One serving is a handful or ten to twelve nuts.
Drink at least six to eight glasses of filtered water a day.

How to ease withdrawal symptoms
The unfortunate reality is that making these changes in your diet is liable to cause a few withdrawal symptoms. They include:

Bad breath
Constipation
Achy, flu-like feeling
Fatigue
Headaches
Hunger
Irritability
Itchy skin
Nausea
Offensive body odor
Sleep difficulties (too much or too little)
These symptoms are actually a good sign. They mean your body and mind are eliminating stored toxins and are finding their way to balance and UltraWellness once more.

Those who consume the most caffeine, alcohol and sugar, and those who have the most food allergies, will have the most difficulty with the detoxificaiton initially. In any event, symptoms of withdrawal usually disappear after three or four days.

What to do if withdrawal symptoms become uncomfortable

Make sure you drink at least six to eight glasses of filtered water daily.
To prevent headaches, make sure your bowels are clean.
If you are tired, allow more time for sleep.
Make sure you exercise daily to help fight off fatigue.
If you are hungry, have some protein in the afternoon such as a handful of nuts or seeds such as almonds, pecans, walnuts or pumpkin seeds, cooked beans, or a piece of steamed or baked fish.
If you’re irritable or have trouble sleeping, take a combination of calcium citrate (500 mg) and magnesium citrate (250 mg) before bed.
If you have an upset stomach, drink ginger or peppermint tea. Steep a tea bag in boiling water for 10 minutes, and drink up to four cups a day as often as needed.

WHAT HAS WORKED FOR YOU?

Replies

• Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! I am in desperate need of a detox! The holidays didn't affect my weight, but boy, did they ever affect my choices. And my body can definitely tell. Back on the wagon today!
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109
    Options
    Same here!! I had so much sugar Christmas eve that I felt drunk when driving home and I had not drank a drop!! Yesterday I felt hungover all day and I know it is from the suagr since I don't really eat it anymore. I had a little sugar yesterday but not a whole lot. Today I feel better but still not up to par so today I started with Oatmeal and will go from there. Hoping to feel like myself again tomorrow!!!!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Same here!! I had so much sugar Christmas eve that I felt drunk when driving home and I had not drank a drop!! Yesterday I felt hungover all day and I know it is from the suagr since I don't really eat it anymore. I had a little sugar yesterday but not a whole lot. Today I feel better but still not up to par so today I started with Oatmeal and will go from there. Hoping to feel like myself again tomorrow!!!!

"fun" fact, eat enough sugar and your body actual converts it to alcohol. Crazy right?

Also, as far as the post goes, good fats ARE fattening, they are just healthy. You should definitely eat them, but if you replace your candy bars with avocado you probably wont lose much weight. That being said.....I definitely need a sugar detox and if putting weight loss on hold for a bit helps me do that then so be it!
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a very low sugar diet normally (not counting fruit) and my husband has been off sugar for months. Sugar is not really my down fall (I'm more of a salt addict), but I've recommended sugar detox to numerous folks who have enjoyed fabulous benefits (on day four). A sugar detox takes about three days. The most important benefits are even energy throughout the day and eventually more energy. It is also easier to stay within your calories when you remove your addiction (whatever it is) and use all of your calories on healthy food that feeds your body instead of triggering your snack reflex.

I would not recommend decreasing coffee at the same time you reduce sugar. It is a personal choice, but I prefer to attack one addiction at a time. If someone is very ambitious, they could attack two addictions at once, but I think you'd need to have some time off work and careful planning.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    "fun" fact, eat enough sugar and your body actual converts it to alcohol. Crazy right?

O.
    M.
    G.

Its not fun, its not a fact, but it is crazy.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Very timely post - definitely in need after Xmas
  • C_Lopez
    C_Lopez Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I ve given that up and its a huge difference!
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have a very low sugar diet normally (not counting fruit) and my husband has been off sugar for months. Sugar is not really my down fall (I'm more of a salt addict), but I've recommended sugar detox to numerous folks who have enjoyed fabulous benefits (on day four). A sugar detox takes about three days. The most important benefits are even energy throughout the day and eventually more energy. It is also easier to stay within your calories when you remove your addiction (whatever it is) and use all of your calories on healthy food that feeds your body instead of triggering your snack reflex.

I would not recommend decreasing coffee at the same time you reduce sugar. It is a personal choice, but I prefer to attack on addiction at a time. If someone is very ambitious, they could attack two addictions at once, but I think you'd need to have some time off work and careful planning.

I am one of her benefactors of a sugar detox. Not an extreme one as I kept natural sugars in fruits and veggie and sauces in moderation but still a detox of sorts. Day one was good, day 2 sucked and I was dragging day 3 started to get better and on day 4 I was leveled out with no peaks or valleys in energy! Plus I had one of those mysterious benefits she aludes to! I cannot tackle more than one addiction at a time. Right now I am working on nicotine addiction....so I have been more lax on sugar and sodium.....soon as I get this one under control I will work on sodium/sugar