Slipping Up

Options
So I have lost 10lbs. and the weight hasn't come back, however I have been having major urges to just eat good tasting food like chips. Crunchy, greasy, delicious food hahaha. Also, my bf and room mates have gotten me started on pop. Cravings like I have never had. I have always like pop, but never drank much. Now I'm just plain addicted. It's the taste of it. I also figure if I'm eating like this and not gaining weight, then I would probably be losing weight at the moment if I were eating less and healthier. Anyone know how to make these cravings stop? Is it my lack of water maybe?

Replies

• krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Dude, you just answered your own question. We all get cravings. Eat the chips just count them in your daily total. And put down the pap. Liquid sugar man.
  • leann74016
    leann74016 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    When i first joined mfp i was the very exact way! I craved everything you could imagine that wasnt healthy for me. I, to was and still kina am, addicted to pop. I usually just eat or drink what i am craving now in moderation but when i started i increased my water intake! It curves your appetite for most junk food and helps you to feel full so you are less likely to want to snack as much. I now notice too that the more water i drink the more pop doesn't taste the same. So keep on trying to drink more water! :)
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    There no real way to stop cravings but you can and should substitute with healthy foods. Drinking lots of water also helps
  • 4hotmama
    4hotmama Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Pop- no good. I have not had a regular pop in years. If you feel the need to have pop, maybe try diet pop, still not great but saves the calories. I notice the more water I drink, the less I reach for the diet pop. I also add a tiny bit of lemon juice to my water. Chips- how bout trying popcorn or pretzels, jut watch your sodium, more sodium means needing to drink more water to flush it out.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    A couple ways I deal with cravings:

1. Eat the food you crave, but make sure to keep it in moderation. I've had times where I never feel satisfied NOT eating the food I'm craving. Remember to write it down, though, and possibly go do something to burn off the extra calories (or factor it into your day's allotment).

2. Consider what it is that is making you want that food and find an alternative. Sometimes, a craving is the body telling you it needs a particular nutrient (or the pick-me-up of endorphins), and the mind converts that into something tangible and that you're familiar with. Antioxidents = chocolate, Vitamin C = orange, etc.

3. If the item is really bad for you, think long and hard about what's *actually* in it and how you *actually* feel about the taste, texture, and whatnot (and even how it makes you feel after you've consumed it), or even how, exactly, it's made. The purpose here is to basically turn the item into something you no longer *want* to eat, much less crave. For example, I like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, so if I wanted to stop eating them, I'd think about the fact that the chocolate really isn't that good (in fact, it's gotten quite waxy over the years), the peanut butter is too crunchy for my taste, and the sugar triggers the sensitivity in my teeth after I've eaten one. Why, again, did I like them? (I've found it's mostly the memory of how they *used* to be, but that may not be the case with everything.) All of a sudden, I no longer have the desire to eat one, because it really doesn't sound that appetizing after all.
  • CBurns85
    Options
    I don't know how much of it is just a placebo type effect, but I've found that drinking green tea seems to help curb those cravings. I get them A LOT (especially for potato chips---mmmm), but almost always manage to fight them off. But most of it, I think, is the conversation I have with myself in my head.

I tell my self "seriously? You totally worked hard all day to fight off these cravings, and stayed within your calorie goal, and worked out, and now you're going to throw ALL of that work down the tubes?"
  • CBurns85
    Options
    Oh! I've also found that the fat free Pringles help satisfy my need to crunch. :)