Protein - how much is too much?

Options
I'm trying to figure out what to have for dinner - which is only my most favorite meal of the day! - and I only have 18 proteins left in my daily protein count. What can I eat with that!?!?!

A 4 oz boneless, skinless, chicken breast, takes me over the 18.
A can of tuna, takes me over the 18!
A sole fillet, takes me over the 18!!
And I haven't even checked out what a BBQ'd medium rare rib eye steak would do to the 18.

Come on! I love dinner for the meat and potatoes! Does anyone have any suggestions to help fill my carnivorous appetite?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein. Your body will get rid of what it doesn't need. Enjoy!
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    That is good to know and Thank you for sharing great information!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    If your protein count is coming from MFP's numbers then you can safely go over. I think the RDA is a minimum, not a maximum.

I'll be interested to hear answers though. It was my understanding that 1 gram per kilogram of lean body mass was the goal for a normal person but I've seen posts with people talking about 1 gram per pound of total weight as if that's the least you should have.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes there is such a thing, for people with kidney issues.
    Your body doesn't get rid of what you don't need by the way. It doesn't just get eliminated once you've reached the needed amount.
  • JeremiahStone
    JeremiahStone Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    You can have too much protein, it can do damage to your kidneys and urinary system. But unless its a daily overdose you should be fine. The basic rule of thumb is around 1g of protein for every lb of lean body mass. So go ahead dig in and get some of that kill :)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    No such thing as too much protein. Your body will get rid of what it doesn't need. Enjoy!

GONG...as in WRONG...but thanks for playing

you can defintely get too much protein

MFP goes low on protein and high on carbs

google protein...get more information

good luck
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    If you have kidney issues too much can be an issue as the excess is flushed out. However, "too much" is an extremely high number than is definitely a lot higher than MFP's set goals, which are more of a minimum than maximum. Without kidney issues you should be able to safely go up to about 150g, more if you are exercising/strength training. Many people on here regularly consume 1g per lb of lean mass + and have no problems. I consume around 180-200g a day, do a lot of strength training so it helps for that. No problems whatsoever.

You should also not gain weight if you are under your calories, regardless of how much carbs/fat/protein you have. If you are gaining weight, and are certain your calorie estimates are not skewed, it is likely to be hormones, other health issues or water weight that is the cause, not extra protein.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you're eating nothing but protein and fat, as some people do when they try to follow a do-it-yourself Atkins diet, you will get sick. You need at least some carbs for your brain to function.

And people with kidney disease or gout have to be very careful about what proteins they eat.

Most everyone else just has to get AT LEAST as much as MFP says.

You should also be aware of what vitamins and other nutrients are/are not in the high protein foods you prefer. Those old "four food groups" are an attempt to make it simple for people to understand that those zero calorie vegetables are still providing essential nutrients, or that if all your protein comes from meat, you have to find a source of calcium, etc.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You can have gr of protein as much as your weight in lb.
  • Caty888
    Options
    A person who works out should eat between 1, 5-2 gr protein per body pound. Someone who's not training should eat around 1 gr protein per body pound. You don't need to worry about eating too much protein, you should worry about eating too much carbs, or too much fats.
  • Bandstrh
    Bandstrh Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to the freezer to dig out that chicken breast!
    Have an awesome afternoon and evening!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I don't have to worry about protein. I am supposed to get around 100 gms/day due to weight loss surgery and malabsorption. You need protein so your body doesn't use its own muscle. You want to burn fat.