NEED HELP FINDING A HEART RATE MONITOR!!!

I know this question has probably been asked alot of times but couldn't find so I am sorry for any repeat here but I really need help. I want to get a HRM so I know calories I am burning during working out. I try my best to match on here the workout I am doing but would like a more accurate calorie burn for the actual DVD's I am using. I can't really afford anything too expensive and was hoping someone out there could help me. I am looking for something under 50.00, no more then 30.00 would be even better. I also was wondering do all of them let you program in your weight for a more accurate calorie burn or do only certain ones do that? I am still quite heavy and I know the bigger you are the more calories you burn, so I would really like one that allows me to program in my weight. Can anyone suggest any that they may use that is not very expensive? Thanks in advance:)

Replies

• CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    bump been wondering the same thing...
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 174 Member
    bump! Having the same problem!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    polar brand

cheapest at amazon
  • Me too! People say Polar or whatever, but they are expensive; even if sold through amazon or ebay..
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    My sweetie bought me a Polar HRM with a chest monitor strap. He found it through craigslist.org for $45. I LOVE it! It's been a blessing for me since it gives me a much more accurate number on my calorie burns. It also beeps at me if my heart rate goes above or below my target fat burning heart rate zone. It's like my own personal fitness coach! heheh

Oh and yeah, mine let me program it for my body size/weight for more accurate cal burn calculations.
  • Hi there,

I'm using the following Polar FT7 HRM.

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Heart-Monitor-Watch-Silver/dp/B001U0OFDC

It's very accurate with heart rate and calories burned. It also has features like fat burning zone, fitness zone, out of zone alarm.

The chest strap is very soft and comfortable. I could hardly feel it when doing exercise.

Highly recommend it.

FB
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Me too! People say Polar or whatever, but they are expensive; even if sold through amazon or ebay..

you get what you pay for...go cheap and you will regret it...or whatever
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    the problem is the cheap ones really don't work well. I'd invest in the the Polar.....Amazon has great deals on them. You definitely want one with a chest strap. You can get the FT1 starting at like 50.00. This isn't something you want to skimp on and buy the cheapest thing you see.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,136 Member
    if you use your search engine to look for "heart rate monitor under 50 dollars" you'll find the information you're looking for.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    I love the polar f4 I got from amazon. It is very accurate but not sure of the price at the moment. good luck:smile:
  • pixiesx3
    pixiesx3 Posts: 172 Member
    From everything I have read and heard, Polar is the way to go. Save a little each week until you can buy it. As with anything, you get what you pay for. I have seen them new online for $66 with free shipping and no tax recently.
  • StacySkinny
    the problem is the cheap ones really don't work well. I'd invest in the the Polar.....Amazon has great deals on them. You definitely want one with a chest strap. You can get the FT1 starting at like 50.00. This isn't something you want to skimp on and buy the cheapest thing you see.

This^

When it comes to our health, that' a place where we don't want to try and skimp. I definitely recommend checking out craigslist.org if you're in the states or ebay. Right now after Christmas there are often deals to be found. Often times people buy someone a gift they don't really want for Christmas so they sell it cheap on ebay or Craigslist after the Holidays. lol
  • Jesusinme4life
    Jesusinme4life Posts: 105 Member

I would love to be able to buy an expensive one but with 2 kids and a one income household funds are limited. Thanks you all for your response so quickly. I guess I may have to save for one and wait a while to get it:(
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    I'm going to have to echo the, "you get what you pay for" responses.

Penn Cycle has the Polar FT4 on sale for $59, which is about as low as I've seen it. I paid $90 for mine at D!ck's Sporting Goods.

http://penncycle.com/product/polar-ft4-female-70332-1.htm
  • Jesusinme4life
    Jesusinme4life Posts: 105 Member

This^

When it comes to our health, that' a place where we don't want to try and skimp. I definitely recommend checking out craigslist.org if you're in the states or ebay. Right now after Christmas there are often deals to be found. Often times people buy someone they don't really want for Christmas so they sell it cheap on ebay after the Holidays. lol

I'll check out Craigslist. I never bought anything from them before. Always been leery if I would really get what I was paying for.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    I got a mio wristwatch one at Walmart for about $30 and I like it. It doesn't count calories though ... just heart rate!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member

I would love to be able to buy an expensive one but with 2 kids and a one income household funds are limited. Thanks you all for your response so quickly. I guess I may have to save for one and wait a while to get it:(

You'll be happier in the long run if you wait and save up for a good one. I understand not wanting to wait, but sometimes you have to pay a bit more for quality.
  • StacySkinny

This^

When it comes to our health, that' a place where we don't want to try and skimp. I definitely recommend checking out craigslist.org if you're in the states or ebay. Right now after Christmas there are often deals to be found. Often times people buy someone they don't really want for Christmas so they sell it cheap on ebay after the Holidays. lol

I'll check out Craigslist. I never bought anything from them before. Always been leery if I would really get what I was paying for.

I buy a lot of things from Craigslist and have never had any bad experiences with it. I got my sofa from there (a house decorator bought if for a house showing and the sold it cheap to get it out of the house after it sold), I also got a great computer monitor, a lovely coffee table, a brand new floor fan, etc. All from different people. I always try and score things that are brand new and still have the packaging, that way I know it's in good condition. :)
  • kearlnp
    kearlnp Posts: 8 Member
    I got ther polar F4 for christmas and love it! We paid the higher price at Scheels but I have also seen for 69$ other places...I am assuming the chest strap makes it the more accurate brand....it is comfortable and I am anxious to get it all set up to download etc (though I don't understand this since it doesn't have a USB ) I haven't read all the ins and outs yet but i did wear it yesterday to check it out!!