Half marathon training

Options
I have always dreamed of running a marathon, and this year would like to set running a half as my big fitness goal. I am trying to work out roughly what I should aim for, time wise, to train for this.

I'm currently running just 5k, 3 times a week, but am planning to start bridge to 10k at the beginning of the new year. Looking at their schedule, I think I'm going to book in to do a 10k around mid March (does that sound about right?). Would it be sensible to look at a 10 mile after that? And then move on to half marathon training? Does a September-ish half marathon sound overly optimistic to you? Indeed, does doing a half this year sound overly optimistic?

I'm still pretty heavy, so want to be realistic about my training and not end up injuring myself in the process. I'm also not in a particular rush. I want to do it, but if I do it next week or next year, as long as I know I'm moving in the right direction, that's cool.

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    bumping. want to hear some advice too :wink:
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I am still at the 5k level myself, but there are some running groups on this website you might want to join to get idea for your half marathon training. Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm currently about a 5k level with a similar goal. The training plans I've looked at have you going from 3 miles to 13.1 in 10-12 weeks. I'm now looking at an April goal. Feel free to add me!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane, I'm on week 3 Bridge to 10k, and have slowed down substantially - so still at about 5.1 miles taking out the walk at the start and end (not sure why - maybe the cold wind??). Anyway, I'd say that although my B210K plan is 5 weeks long it's going to take me until week 8 (haha) to be doing 10k in under an hour.

I thought perhaps 10 weeks from now I'd start the training to move to a half - but really in no rush at all. I thought that if I could run 10k's Summer 2012 and if things went fantastically well I'd think about the Great South in October - but not sure if by the time I'm ready I'd get a place (and then not so much on in the Winter). So my plan would probably include a 1/2 in 2013 in all honesty.

My plans are a bit more ploddy than yours but we've got bone problems in the family and I'm keen to be increasing bone density as I'm increasing my distances, Runners World recommended 2 years from start to marathon so had thought I'd do things in my own sweet time - providing I'm increasing distance I'm happy! Good Luck! :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I haven't done any racing at all (and didn't do them before 2 years ago, when I was running two short 5k runs and a weekend 60 min run on a weekly basis). So I think I'd like to get the 10k under my belt, just to feel I'm a 'proper' runner again, if you know what I mean. But once I've covered that ground, I'm kind of ok with taking my time to the longer term goals.

I know what you mean about bone density, Vanessa. It is a real worry. I'm also concerned about knees, as mine are given to aches because I'm double jointed.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just so you know a little about me - I have done 25+ HM's.

A couple of ways you can reach your goals.

1) go to a local running specialty store and see if they have a running group and talk with them what they offer or ask them if they know a local group you can train with.

2) there are several charities who will train you to do half or full marathons. One such charity is Team in Training (www.teamintraing.org - find your chapter on the website). This charity raise money for the the leukemia and lymphoma society. In return to the training program with group you raise money in the fight against leukemia, lymphoma, myeloma, myelodysplastic syndrome, and other blood cancers.

3) go to one of the running guru's websites - John Bingham, Jeff Galloway, Hal Higdon and download a training program (some you have to pay for)

4. look at www.runnersworld.com and search for a training schedule.

5. SIgn up for the event of your choice so you have a goal to work towards Don't get all worked up over the event - it will be nothing other than a training run with a few hundred/thousand of your running friends (depending on the size of the event) and a lot of spectators. So, go out train and have fun!!!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There's a number of websites out there that will design a training plan to get you to your goal. I use Runner's World's Smart Coach (available at this link: http://smartcoach.runnersworld.com/smartcoach/ and as a free iPod Touch and iPhone App). You input your current racing ability (for me, a 5k at 23:49) and what your goal race is (for me, the Princess Half-Marathon in February), about how many miles you want to pull per week and what day you want to do your long run. The site does the rest of the work for you, once a week is a LSD run, usually once a week is some kind of speed work. I'm in week 9 or 10 and I can't say any one week has been too excruciating.

Jeff Galloway (former Olympian, all around running smart-guy) also has some plans through active.com, I can't remember which are free and which aren't.

I've heard good things about the bridge to 10k program, but personally didn't take it. As part of my normal running before starting my road to the Princess Half, my Saturday long run was around 6 miles anyway, so I didn't think the 10k program was worth it for me.

My biggest piece of advice, if you're going to come up with a goal race, go register for it. Plunking down a wad of cash is a helluva good motivator, especially over the summer when you need to go out in the heat and run. That $135 I dropped on the Princess Half has been good to get me out of bed at 5:30 in the morning on more than one weekend (and, yes, the Disney races are really that expensive. That was "first day to register" fee level).
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks so much for that advice, Jan and 99. Unfortunately I live in a pretty rural area, so no running clubs I can join within easy distance. But thanks for the suggestions on good sites and programmes - I'll certainly look into those.

99, I've been a bit scared of committing to a race, but I see your logic - it does make sense I suspect to put your money where your mouth is and get on with it.
  • LindLTailor
    LindLTailor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have done six full marathons and three triathlons. The first time I ran a marathon when I started training I was right at 195lbs and lost down to 170 during the training. I can probably give a few tips if your final goal is a marathon of half.

If I were you I would try to increase my daily runs to at least four per week and try to up the mileage to four miles. This is to condition you better. I would do this for my daily training until it becomes easy.

The key to endurance events is being used to the distance. This means that in addition to your daily runs you need to schedule every other Saturday (or Sunday) for long runs. Planning backwards from the race day and leaving ta week free with no long runs before the race what you want to do is gradually work up closer to the distance of the race. For me that means I would run 8 miles one Saturday then two weeks later up that to ten. Then just keep adding every two weeks from 10 to 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24. For a half marathon I wold try to do 6, 8, 10 at least. Feel free to go ahead and do 13. It is really not that hard once you get in good shape and should not affect your race performance as long as you leave two weeks to recover.

Marathons require a lot of training. I always did five days of 6 miles then the long runs according to the schedule. It takes four good months to train for a marathon and that is if you are already in descent shape. For a half you can do this at a more leisurely pace but find the event you want to participate in and plan backwards as I said. This is one way to train. I am sure there are others and I am no expert. I am a guy who has done this before more than once and my best time marathon time was 3:20.

Feel free to "friend me" or contact me and shoot any questions you have.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks, that's really helpful too.

In terms of increasing to four runs a week - at the moment, I do 3 and do elliptical and static bike on the other days of the week, and a bit of strength training. Would it be ok do you think for the extra 4 mile run to be treadmill rather than road? Because of my work schedule, it will be hard for me to get out on the road another night (it's very dark where I live, no street lights, really, so not safe to run in the dark).

I'm feeling really optimistic and excited about this! My new year's resolve is building dramatically. :-)
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It is doable and it sounds like you are off to a great start. I started running in February and did a half marathon this past October. Currently about to start training for my second half. Feel free to add me if you like. I love supporting other runners :smile:

Google "Jeff Galloway" and "Hal Higdon" for free starter training plans (for my first half marathon I used one based off of Jeff Galloway's run/walk method but tweaked it to meet my own needs) For most half marathon training plans, a 10 miler will be your longest training run a few weeks before the half, but Jeff Galloway's plan actually brings you through a 14 mile long run. Lots of varying opinions on whether you need to run "race distance" prior to your actual race. Due to illness, I missed a couple training runs and I did an 11.5 mile training run about 3 weeks before my half, then tapered for the next few weeks. Came through the half just fine.

Use caution when increasing mileage on a weekly basis--also, drop your speed down for your long runs. That will help prevent injury and help you with your endurance. For example, if you're currently running a 12minute mile, drop your speed to 13 or even 14 minute miles for your long runs. You can still run at your preferred pace during your shorter runs, or use one of your weekly runs as a "speedwork" session in which you would do intervals at a faster pace than normal.

Also, experiment with hydration, fuel, shoes, racegear, etc on your training runs. Don't do anything new on race day, if you can help it.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mfdooley
    Options
    I second a few of your replies (Go tigers for the Clemson post!!) in that picking a race and registering for it is HUGE!! Having that race on the calendar is big for planning triaining and for motivation. Hal Higdon has some good training programs .. But I am using one from Marathonrookie.com that a friend sent. Also .. See if you can find a local running group. I got in touch with a friend who I knew had been running and she got me connected. Having a running group or partner can really help!! I am running a half on feb 5 th, then put up the bucks for my first marathon .. Colorado Marathon on May 6th. I was doing essentially nothing before mid December-ish.
    My friend did her first half running 9min walking 1 min. She said allowing herself to walk was what got her doing longer runs. I hate to stop to walk .. But she is teaching me . My plan is walking thru the water stations. Good luck! Awesome to see how much you have lost so far! Sounds like you have got what it takes!
  • RicSnyder
    RicSnyder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I use Hal Higdon's training guides. He has something for runners at any level, training for any distance. His site also has tons of great advice.
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    Options
    Sounds as if you have already built a great foundation. I have run/walked 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon and I usually try to get 16 weeks of training. There are lots of great training schedules online and also running magazine always has pretty good tips of training. You got this!!
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget to REST!! The day before your long run and just do a little light cardio the day after your long run. :)
  • Angelie28
    Angelie28 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It is a real worry. I'm also concerned about knees, as mine are given to aches because I'm double jointed.

^ I'm training for a half right now too and whats really helped with my knees are knee compression sleeves or just compression tights and make sure you ice after your runs. It has helped me pretty much eliminate any kind of ache
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've just booked my March 10k, and will start looking for a September half.

I really appreciate all the very kind and helpful advice.
  • LindLTailor
    LindLTailor Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Be very careful on a treadmill. They are injury manufacturers. I would up it to four for the three days you are doing and stick with the cross training. Leave out the treadmill. Not worth the risk. Seems like you are doing quite a bit of conditioning. Just work in three or four long runs and you are probably going to do well..
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Be very careful on a treadmill. They are injury manufacturers. I would up it to four for the three days you are doing and stick with the cross training. Leave out the treadmill. Not worth the risk. Seems like you are doing quite a bit of conditioning. Just work in three or four long runs and you are probably going to do well..

Really? I didn't know that about treadmills. What makes them such a problem?
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you're a beginner use Hal Higdon because he's been there and done that and gives good solid programmes for people of any level, he's a editor for runners world

You dont have to be at a set level of running in order to complete a half marathon, you just need the determination to train and see it through. Its only when you have time goals that your running experience comes into play. If all you wanted was to finish one, you could run one in 12 weeks if you followed a decent plan like one of Hals

http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/