Have any of you ever heard of this....

Options
if you eat right after a good workout where you lose tons of calories that you burn 1/2 of what you eat. As long as its health. I just don't understand that so I figured I would act around.

Replies

• nancyl3
    Options
    if you eat right after a good workout where you lose tons of calories that you burn 1/2 of what you eat. As long as its health. I just don't understand that so I figured I would act around.
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've never heard that. I know your metabolism stays up for several hours after a work-out, so you're still burning calories when you're finished. But half of what you ate...that sounds like wishful thinking. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    What I've heard is this....

If you are doing cardio, and eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout, your body will burn those calories you've just consumed (burning off your meal), which may or may not leave you hungry quicker.

If you wait 45 minutes after working out to eat, your body has a chance to burn a little more stored fat, promoting weight loss.

True? Dunno. Learned it in a college health ed class, so I put some faith in it.
    True for every single person? Doubtful. We are all different.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You need to eat good amounts of Protein and complex carb to rebuild your energy which you've used a lot of, and to help with muscle repair.:flowerforyou:
  • nancyl3
    Options
    What I've heard is this....

If you are doing cardio, and eat within 45 minutes of finishing your workout, your body will burn those calories you've just consumed (burning off your meal), which may or may not leave you hungry quicker.

If you wait 45 minutes after working out to eat, your body has a chance to burn a little more stored fat, promoting weight loss.

True? Dunno. Learned it in a college health ed class, so I put some faith in it.
    True for every single person? Doubtful. We are all different.

That sound more realistic. I can understand that more then the other.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that's also why you don't eat late at night, since your body is slowing down and won't burn the food as fast. It makes sense, but not sure I'd go eat dinner right after a work out just to burn more calories.

My GUESS...it's not a huge difference in calories burned. IE...not 100 or something. Maybe a handful.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    As a long distance runner I have been told to eat right after a workout. You body will store the glucose in you muscle. You will use this in your next workout. I find this very true, if I do not eat after a workout, I have very little energy for the next run.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    and that milk (or chocolate milk) are great to have after a workout.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    As a long distance runner I have been told to eat right after a workout. You body will store the glucose in you muscle. You will use this in your next workout. I find this very true, if I do not eat after a workout, I have very little energy for the next run.

^^ This. :smile: