Natural Appetite Stimulants?

Options
RaeLB
RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
Hello =)

I am trying to gain some weight that I lost due to a medication I am on that decreased my appetite & increased my metabolism.

Eating is now a chore, which is a shame cause I love food. But it is no longer enjoyable... I'm just stuffing myself to hit my caloric goal.

I tried researching natural appetite stimulants but I'm not really getting anything.

I know most people don't have this problem but I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas.
Anyone?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Uh, I can only think of one and it's illegal (in my state anyway..). So, what's the name of that medication you're taking again???

All joking aside, I'm sorry, I don't have a clue. I wish I had your problem. Hopefully you can find something. Do you like whole milk and peanut butter? Nuts? Start with what you like to eat. Maybe try some different flavored protein shakes and mix them with whole milk. I know these suggestions aren't appetite stimulants but it may help to eat more calorie dense foods so you don't have to eat as much at one time. :flowerforyou:
  • RaeLB
    Options

oh man i don't think i will try the "garlic soup" but maybe the smell or supplement lol

thanks for the suggestion
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Uh, I can only think of one and it's illegal (in my state anyway..). So, what's the name of that medication you're taking again???

All joking aside, I'm sorry, I don't have a clue. I wish I had your problem. Hopefully you can find something. Do you like whole milk and peanut butter? Nuts? Start with what you like to eat. Maybe try some different flavored protein shakes and mix them with whole milk. I know these suggestions aren't appetite stimulants but it may help to eat more calorie dense foods so you don't have to eat as much at one time. :flowerforyou:

I'm on topamax it's an anti-seizure medication but i'm taking it for headaches (some people take it for weight loss)
    when my doctor prescribed me it he warned me it could cause weight loss and i was like greatttt i'm already tiny, then when i went on it i dropped 9 pounds in a month

i'm trying to eat high calorie foods but i don't want to eat fatty foods cause i want to be heart-healthy
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg1015053622858.html

read the post by daisyduckworth (2nd post)

Also, medical marijuana is an appetite stimulant, but unfortunately it is only legal when prescribed in some states (As a nurse, I am pro-medical marijuana, but only when your other options have been exhausted)

I know this may sound wierd, but I am always VERY hungry 30 mins after eating an apple. I don't know why, but apples are appetite stimulants for me. Try it, you never know!! ;)

Lastly, have you considered a high calorie beverage once a day (ie, Ensure)? It may help you supplement your nutrition short term, until you get this sorted out.

Good luck!
  • RaeLB
    Options
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg1015053622858.html

read the post by daisyduckworth (2nd post)

Also, medical marijuana is an appetite stimulant, but unfortunately it is only legal when prescribed in some states (As a nurse, I am pro-medical marijuana, but only when your other options have been exhausted)

I know this may sound wierd, but I am always VERY hungry 30 mins after eating an apple. I don't know why, but apples are appetite stimulants for me. Try it, you never know!! ;)

Lastly, have you considered a high calorie beverage once a day (ie, Ensure)? It may help you supplement your nutrition short term, until you get this sorted out.

Good luck!

Thank you I will read the link
    I have no desire to be high but I will try an apple lol

I do have ensure but they're expensive and I am a student so I would like to be able to find a way to meet my goal without drinking them. Unless I find them on sale it can cost me $60 a month
  • moniquelessard
    Options

Thank you I will read the link
    I have no desire to be high but I will try an apple lol

I do have ensure but they're expensive and I am a student so I would like to be able to find a way to meet my goal without drinking them. Unless I find them on sale it can cost me $60 a month
    [/quote]

Like I said, I think that trying all other options before marijuana is always best ;)

Have you seen your doctor about the weight loss? Any medication that causes decreased appetite or anorexia (which is simply the medical term for 'not eating') should be re-evaluated... ie. dosage etc. It's very important to update your doc on the side effects of this med and the impact it is having on you.

I understand the financial limitations you have...what about a high cal protein powder? Healthy and can last a long time...

Maybe other posters will have better advice!

xo
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109
    Options
    Regular good tasting yummy Yougart, peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, whole wheat non enriched crackers---all high in calories and better for you than a big mac. Heck even tuna can add some calories---a 6.4oz pouch has almost 400 calories but it might be too filling for you and cause you to eat even less.....ok scratch the tuna but all the others are high in calories :)

Wish I could offer help with the actual question but I really have never heard of anything that increases you appetite, There are medications that increase weight gain though LOL that is what got me where I am---good ole lyrica---works great for pain but will make you a fat@$$!!

Good luck hun and I hope you find some answers and soon before it takes it's toll on your body!!
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    apparently I am bad at quoting on here... lol
  • RaeLB
    Options
    that's ok lol

I have not even reached the dosage he wants me at yet, he is slowly increasing my dosage =/
    i have an appointment with him in a couple weeks I will talk to him about it. This is my fourth headache medication though so I do not want to keep switching it up. I hope we can make this work.
  • blonde20fan
    blonde20fan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    ummm......smoke a joint! LOL
  • RaeLB
    Options
    Regular good tasting yummy Yougart, peanut butter, whole milk, cheese, whole wheat non enriched crackers---all high in calories and better for you than a big mac. Heck even tuna can add some calories---a 6.4oz pouch has almost 400 calories but it might be too filling for you and cause you to eat even less.....ok scratch the tuna but all the others are high in calories :)

Wish I could offer help with the actual question but I really have never heard of anything that increases you appetite, There are medications that increase weight gain though LOL that is what got me where I am---good ole lyrica---works great for pain but will make you a fat@$$!!

Good luck hun and I hope you find some answers and soon before it takes it's toll on your body!!

Yeah a lot of people have the opposite problem lol
    thanks =)
  • RaeLB
    Options
    ummm......smoke a joint! LOL

quit doing that when i was 17 & i have no desire to pick it up again lol
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    My Dr. prescribed me topomax for weight loss, but it does not have that effect on me. He said it would make soft drinks taste bad and alot of foods as well. Not a chance.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Is the Topamax working? I took it for years (for both seizures & migraines) and hated it. It didn't help my migraines much and it made me really stupid (I probably took a lot more than you, though, bc of the epilepsy). The appetite thing starts to wear off eventually.

I take Zonergan now; it's similar to Topamax without the cognitive side effects. It hasn't been that successful for me either, so I'm trying a ketogenic diet.
  • busterbluth
    busterbluth Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My Dr. prescribed me topomax for weight loss, but it does not have that effect on me. He said it would make soft drinks taste bad and alot of foods as well. Not a chance.

Ugh, it made anything carbonated taste like metal to me, but that wore off eventually too.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    i lost 9 pounds in a month (not good for me cause i was only 2 pounds in a normal BMI range)
    some things taste different like coffee & beer...beer now tastes horrible =(
    when i increase my dose i have a terrible headache for a week, my brain is foggy & im exhausted then i level out
    i feel like my focus is off though even after i level out
    and yeah like i mentioned... the weight loss
    seems like i got all the lovely side effects

whether it is working?... someone messaged me to ask so i will post my reply:

Most of my headaches are cervicogenic headaches & i get occasional migraines.
    I am not sure what kind of effect Topamax is having on my headaches. I started taking it in September. I have not had a migraine since August but I do not get them that frequently so it is too soon to tell if it is keeping the migraines away.
    My doctor said they also work for cervicogenic headaches which is why he put me on it but I have not seen a lot of information on that on the internet. Cervicogenic headaches start from the neck/shoulder muscles being seized up and radiate to the front of the head (they are often misdiagnosed as migraines- mine were for a while). I have been having less headaches but I have also started doing other therapies so I do not know how much the medication is playing a part. I carry my stress in my upper back so I have been doing yoga & mindfulness therapy. I have been getting messages & have been working on my posture, etc. So unfortunately I really cannot say if the medication is working for me. I plan on going off of it when I am done school for the summer to see if there is any change.
  • RaeLB
    Options
    p.s. i am only on 75mg right now
  • dlittlejohns
    Options
    There are a lot of natural appetite stimulants out there. The best type aside from cannabis are bitters, these are things like gentian or amarogentian, ginger root, etc... the only issue is that bitters can be very difficult to get down without being in capsule or pill form. To my knowledge only VH Nutrition has a natural appetite stimulant like this. I'll provide a link to it but as far as i know not everyone responds to bitters the same way so its kind of a 50/50 shot. here's the link to https://www.vhnutrition.com/product-p/eatmor-appetite-stimulant.htm