Protein Shake Question

Options
I bought the body fortress whey protein shake mix last week, I usually blend up some fruit to give it a better flavor, but I have some questions about it.

SHould I have a shake every day?
Can I mix sugar free chocolate syrup tin it to give it a chocolatey flavor?
Will it make me bulk up?
SHould I use it as a meal replacement?
How many shakes should I have per day?
HOW many scoops should I have in one shake?

protein is confusing :-(

Replies

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Maybe.
    Yes.
    No.
    Definitely no.
    Depends on your macros.
    Depends on your macros.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

It's protein. You should drink it to help you hit your daily protein target. If you need two servings, or three, that's fine. However, you may find that eating food satisfies you more than a shake, and in that regard you should let personal preference dictate your protein source.
    Yes.
    Will it make me bulk up?

By itself, no. It's protein. Will a piece of chicken bulk you up? No. Now that being said, if you exceed your daily caloric maintenance, you'll eventually gain weight. This is a matter of energy balance (calories), not the protein shake. The protein shake has calories and as such, it will contribute to your calorie intake. Hopefully this makes sense.

I wouldn't, but it's not going to cause harm. You shouldn't replace meals if your schedule allows you enough time to chew your food. Food will typically satisfy most people more than a shake and as such, go with satiety.

Enough to hit your protein requirement. For MOST people this will be somewhere between zero and two, but I'm generalizing.

See the container and go with that info. It should tell you serving size.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You should have a certain goal in mind for you daily protein needs...25-30% of your daily calories, for example. (This can be adjusted in "goals').

Use the protein shake to meet your daily protein goal when you don't get enough from the foods you are eating. It won't make you bulk up unless you are eating over your maintenance calories.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options

It's protein. You should drink it to help you hit your daily protein target. If you need two servings, or three, that's fine. However, you may find that eating food satisfies you more than a shake, and in that regard you should let personal preference dictate your protein source.
    Yes.
    Will it make me bulk up?

By itself, no. It's protein. Will a piece of chicken bulk you up? No. Now that being said, if you exceed your daily caloric maintenance, you'll eventually gain weight. This is a matter of energy balance (calories), not the protein shake. The protein shake has calories and as such, it will contribute to your calorie intake. Hopefully this makes sense.

I wouldn't, but it's not going to cause harm. You shouldn't replace meals if your schedule allows you enough time to chew your food. Food will typically satisfy most people more than a shake and as such, go with satiety.

Enough to hit your protein requirement. For MOST people this will be somewhere between zero and two, but I'm generalizing.

See the container and go with that info. It should tell you serving size.

^^Beat me to it...and this is better. :)
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump