Exercising twice a day?

Options
Has anyone tried exercising twice a day, such as once in the morning before work/school and once in the afternoon?

Replies

• wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have done it before and know people that do it. You need to listen to your body though and get enough calories in you (good calories).
  • wildflower408
    wildflower408 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. Can't speak to the results as of yet since I just hopped back on the exercise regimen...but what I like about it is that I can log 2 hours of exercise a day without feeling like I'm putting my life on hold for exercise. It also helped me stop eating out of boredom...something that is a MAJOR problem for me.
  • Mom2Asa
    Mom2Asa Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I do it. I tend to run every morning becuase it makes me feel good and gets me started but I also find myself on the Wii at night playing or exercising---either way I am burning calories both times.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I sometimes bike and or do cardio an hour in the morning ... I then usually do weight lifting and biking in the evening as well. I also will throw some extra " fun " stuff in during the day, such as walking the beach, swimming, a game of golf ( time allowing ) ... maybe even a quick jaunt ( what I call my " running " skills at this point ). I also do Yoga a few times a week for relaxation and meditation purposes. Sooooo .... Yes, working out a 1, 2 or more times in one day is all about personal choice ! If you enjoy it ... do it ! If you only workout cause you have to ... once a day is best. :)
  • leemarie324
    leemarie324 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    yes, i hit the gym at 5:45am every morning Monday-Friday before work, and i have been doing Insanity for 5 and half weeks at night...i love it, i have more energy throughout the day and i also have been sleeping better..i work in a dr's office, and my husband is also on his 3rd deployment so working out twice a day has really helped me w/ the stress and keeps me sane, and its also making this deployment go by faster..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried exercising twice a day, such as once in the morning before work/school and once in the afternoon?
    I run in the morning and lift in the afternoon.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Define exercise. I don't have a car so if I want to leave the house, I have to walk, so that is low level exercise. I find that I often exercise many times a day at a low intensity.

However, the higher the intensity, the more time you need to recover from an exercise, and the less often you can do it in a week or day. To decrease recovery times after hard training, I find that mixing my exercises up and including plenty of stretching and yoga into my routine is fantastic. After gym sessions, some people swear by protein and supplements consumed straight after the session as an aid to recovery, but I've never had the same results with this as I have had with regular stretching and yoga.

Your body will tell you what you can and can't do if you are willing to listen to it.
  • mysteria_
    mysteria_ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do it when I have the time... planning on re-starting doubles tomorrow, at least until school starts back up :P
  • healthyJenn0915
    Options
    I am right there with you! In the beginning of this deployment for my husband I was working out at the gym 3 times a week when my kids were at school and then doing Insanity at night! I love Insanity! I completed it in October, and I have tried to restart it 3 times since then but haven't stuck with it for various reasons, but this week I am starting fresh and sticking with it!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Three times for me. An hour and a half first thing in the morning, hard workout. Half an hour brisk walk after work. Then an evening workout, fairly light, 30 min or so at 9:00 p.m.

Pam
  • geekzoid
    Options
    I do it three to four times a day. Depending how I feel. I mostly do it just three times a day. I've notice a difference in me. That I am more energized which is fabulous. Truth is makes me feel good. I do Rushfit program late at night. There is a new program I want to try called Les Mills they have different various as beach body. It seems very interesting. It's up to you and like people say listen to your body mainly.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I do, occasionally.

I do a workout video (30DS or Zumba) before work, then hit the gym after work.

I also spend my hour lunch break speed walking inside the building.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I also exercise x2 a day mostly Mon-Thurs.
    Mornings @45 min cardio
    Afternoons @30-45 min weight lifting
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Curves in the Morning ~ 60 minutes 5-6 days a week
    Then Walking in the Evenings, usually for an hour again.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I use to work out twice a day I am gonna start workin out twice a day Jan. 1st.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I usually do now a days. Started about a month ago...three days a week at 0530 I'd do bootcamp and then in the afternoon some turbo fire. Now I do body pump at the gym 0530 and whatever is on my schedule that day...bootcamp, turbo kick, trx, piloxing, zumba... sometimes just resting...
    and I eat on those days...plenty of good foods to fuel me
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i do sometimes. the best times to work out is before breakfast and after dinner. so some days when i have lots of energy i do both!
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I workout twice a day 6 days a week and 3 of those days I work out 3 times a day.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I work out twice a day, like someone else said I boredom eat so sometimes I'll work out a bit more then twice just because of boredom, but I generally do 40minutes of cardio in the morning and then another 40 minutes of cardio in the evening and 10-20 minutes of strength training in the evening too since I'm a weakling and anymore just kills me. But I also take lots of walks and do a lot of dancing and clubs and that so I just keep myself fueled with food since no one likes going out with a person who's complaining about being tired and hungry all night >_<
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run 2h than 2 times 1hour, and it might be better to lose fat under certain circumstances. Anyway I enjoy long workouts. Even if I bike and run, I would tend to link both workouts but only if I can keep the pace (or I drop it): the speed is more important than the time. The point is that rest is very important, and I prefer 22h rest than 12 on a daily basis. If I trained twice/day, I would require more resting days during the week (2-3 instead of 1). I know I could cope with 2 trainings by increasing intensity, wich, in term of productivity, would be higher (physical productivity, but technically requires more transports, times for warm up, clothes and showers).Thinking about it, I would quit after 10 days. I guess we take habits that suit us. I love the feeling after 2hours but all training plan suggest to avoid them to prevent injuries.
    More than social contrastrains, it is my body (and spirit of course) who decides what I will do today. Anyway, everytime I decide to go for 40min, I increase the workout...that is addiction I guess. I also noticed that if I try to follow a plan made by professionals, I quit quite soon...I really have to do what I love to do, how I love to do it. I notice improvements and I love that;
    as many said, fuel (carbs mainly for me, but proteins for many) is very important to keep on training and feel good the rest of the day but it is impossible to ignore that if you already exercise every day. So this to say that curiosity is ok but the best advice I can give base on my bad personnal experiences is to make the choice on what works for you, even though you wish it would work differently (e.g.: I wish to reduce my workouts but this is the satisfaction of the long distance at high speed that makes me come back) and most of all..enjoy!!!