How do people manage to get hundreds of friends on here/let'

Options
I've been here for a ...sort of little while now, and managed to have about 10 people added, including my sister, haha. I feel like I have nobody to talk to about my issues, ya know? Or just anyone to congratulate/view their progress. I'm only eighteen, but I don't find myself to be too annoying! How's everyone doing?

Man, I forgot you can't have a huge title. I said "Let's be friends?"

Replies

• RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Some people hoard friends and/or just add everyone the can. I thought that was called Facebook. But, if you want support and encouragement and are serious about fitness you can add me. I'm a workout addict, ocd about counting calories, and have a daughter your age. Yup, convincing reasons to add me, no? :)
  • jenniferlynnn93
    Options
    Some people hoard friends and/or just add everyone the can. I thought that was called Facebook. But, if you want support and encouragement and are serious about fitness you can add me. I'm a workout addict, ocd about counting calories, and have a daughter your age. Yup, convincing reasons to add me, no? :)

Yeah, that is definitely called Facebook, or any social networking site. And well, I'm serious about losing weight and being healthy. But, I'm not crazy about working out. I mean, if you call running and/or going on a stationary exercise bike 'serious' about it, then yeah! ;}
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i have 149 friends and i've spoken extensively to most of them. i noticed you only have four posts and that's probably where you're going wrong. i belong to a couple of threads and groups and i meet a lot of people there. try to find groups with common interests.
  • jenniferlynnn93
    Options
    i have 149 friends and i've spoken extensively to most of them. i noticed you only have four posts and that's probably where you're going wrong. i belong to a couple of threads and groups and i meet a lot of people there. try to find groups with common interests.

You're probably right! I don't venture out too often. I never considered the fact that I could have friends on here while trying to lose weight. Thanks for the tip.
  • RahBuhBuh
    Options

Yeah, that is definitely called Facebook, or any social networking site. And well, I'm serious about losing weight and being healthy. But, I'm not crazy about working out. I mean, if you call running and/or going on a stationary exercise bike 'serious' about it, then yeah! ;}

I don't think you have to be serious about working out. But it helps to be serious about fitness: Eating right, controlling your calories, getting some exercise. FYI. I couldn't run a half a mile if my life depending on it (stupid asthma) but I do get exercise.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I tend to get quite a lot of friend requests in one day and then nothing for days... At times I get around 10 requests in the one day! I have gotten to the point where if you add me and don't communicate then you get removed... Also I much rather a message with the invite
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Filling out your profile always helps :)
  • RahBuhBuh
    Options

You're probably right! I don't venture out too often. I never considered the fact that I could have friends on here while trying to lose weight. Thanks for the tip.

Just to piggy back on that. Some of my favorite threads are in the Chit Chat area. Specifically the "Say the most obvious thing to the above poster" http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/421249-say-the-most-obvious-thing-ever-to-the-above-person It is just silly and fun...like me.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I found out today that you just click on someone's photo and ask to be their friend. It allows you to leave a message. I got 6 new friends today in just a short period of time. Someone also let me know that you want to click on a new person with a few posts. That person said she had too many friends and wouldn't be accepting anyone else.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me, the more friends the eaiser it is to stay motivated
  • jenniferlynnn93
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses everybody. Much appreciated. :}
  • jenniferlynnn93
    Options
    Filling out your profile always helps :)

You're so right. Haha, I should do so right now.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Add me. I keep my friend list small so I develop actual friendships rather than just being another stranger. I remove people who don't login for week unless they post that they will be on vacation or something.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I have about 100 friends, and it can be difficult to make sure I give them all equal attention and support. But for the most part I think I do a pretty good job.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I have about 40 friends that I have added in about 2 weeks. I'm not a friend collector, I just like to have people to motivate me and I like to motivate people. Anyone can add me, but if they don't ever talk I delete them.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't understand having such a large group of friends that you can't manage who is who. I try to keep it within reason myself, but I guess some people really like a ton of support...that's just not my thing. lol.
  • wekickkittt
    Options
    I've been here for a ...sort of little while now, and managed to have about 10 people added, including my sister, haha. I feel like I have nobody to talk to about my issues, ya know? Or just anyone to congratulate/view their progress. I'm only eighteen, but I don't find myself to be too annoying! How's everyone doing?

Man, I forgot you can't have a huge title. I said "Let's be friends?"

I was on this site before, I feel like that had a lot to deal with me giving up. If i don't have support and someone to push me when I'm slowing down. I'll just shut down. We can be here for each other!
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You can add me :) I'm addicted to MFP and I'm on pretty frequently.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I just don't say no to people when they friend request me. I have some favorites that I am more active with. But, try to hit every one's activity for encouragement.

*sniff* i'm just a man with a lot of love to give *sniff*
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I started getting a lot of requests when I started posting on the boards more. I'd post my opinion about things and people who agreed wanted to friend me.. or a lot of people liked my progress and figured they might be able to get some tips (their words not mine). Just start posting more on the main boards and you'll get a lot of requests :)

I'm one of those people who have a lot of friends. I'm not a "hoarder" though.. I don't add friends just to have more friends. I've only requested people who inspired me in some way or whom I knew had a wealth of knowledge to share. I'm trying to whittle down my list at the moment but I don't want to delete people for no good reason either.

Good luck :)