Introducing Myself, Looking for Motivation, and Helpful Hint

Options
Hello,

I'm a 25 year old female and gained a lot of my weight during the college years (studying with little time to exercise and sleep along with eating unhealthy fast foods). I didn't just gain the freshman 15...I gained 40+ lbs. I would like to say that I'm losing weight for myself (I do want to get healthy) but to be honest, I think I'm doing it more so I can feel attractive and look good to other guys.

It's tough when every time I turn the corner, there's an advertisement with models whose ribs you can see. Then you have guy friends (my own boyfriend and family guys included) who look at these fake (I say fake because many things are airbrushed/sucked in/made over) ads and claim these women to be perfect goddess-like creatures (keeping pictures of them, getting pleasure from them, etc.) Hey if I had a couple million dollars, I would definitely have a professional fashion designer dress me up in flattering clothes, a professional makeup artist, and a magnificent graphic artist to touch up my photos too! I guess I wanted to rant a little...

Anyway, I used to be very athletic so exercising was not and still is not the problem, the problem is that I now love food too much. I don't just love the breads, cheeses, and sweets, I love all foods including fruits, vegetables, and meats. I look forward to starting this journey and after only a couple days, I realized that counting calories does help cut down those last few hundred calories you want to shove into your mouth before you head to bed. And this morning instead of having eggs,bacon, and/or pancakes, I decided for a more healthful options of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with skim milk.

Thanks for viewing my intro/rant. I wish every one best wishes with their health and weight loss/weight maintenance.

Best,
:heart: Iris

Replies

• ForReviews
    Options
    Hello,

I'm a 25 year old female and gained a lot of my weight during the college years (studying with little time to exercise and sleep along with eating unhealthy fast foods). I didn't just gain the freshman 15...I gained 40+ lbs. I would like to say that I'm losing weight for myself (I do want to get healthy) but to be honest, I think I'm doing it more so I can feel attractive and look good to other guys.

It's tough when every time I turn the corner, there's an advertisement with models whose ribs you can see. Then you have guy friends (my own boyfriend and family guys included) who look at these fake (I say fake because many things are airbrushed/sucked in/made over) ads and claim these women to be perfect goddess-like creatures (keeping pictures of them, getting pleasure from them, etc.) Hey if I had a couple million dollars, I would definitely have a professional fashion designer dress me up in flattering clothes, a professional makeup artist, and a magnificent graphic artist to touch up my photos too! I guess I wanted to rant a little...

Anyway, I used to be very athletic so exercising was not and still is not the problem, the problem is that I now love food too much. I don't just love the breads, cheeses, and sweets, I love all foods including fruits, vegetables, and meats. I look forward to starting this journey and after only a couple days, I realized that counting calories does help cut down those last few hundred calories you want to shove into your mouth before you head to bed. And this morning instead of having eggs,bacon, and/or pancakes, I decided for a more healthful options of Kashi Go Lean Crunch with skim milk.

Thanks for viewing my intro/rant. I wish every one best wishes with their health and weight loss/weight maintenance.

Best,
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Welcome Iris! :flowerforyou:

Looks like you're off on the right foot! Good luck to you! :drinker:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Iris!!! Sounds like you know what you need to do and I'm sure you WILL do it!!! Best wishes for a healthier you!:flowerforyou:
  • Binkylove
    Options
    Welcome, you will do well!

Pamela XXX

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • ForReviews
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far for the well wishes!

I look forward to reading more and seeing such great support!

Best,
  • ForReviews
    Options
    Thanks everyone so far for the well wishes!

I look forward to reading more and seeing such great support!

Best,
  • mom24qties
    Options
    Welcome! I'm sure you will do great. I know how you feel about the mags and stuf, but remember that you are a real woman and beautiful in your own right. Why do we feel the need to compare ourselves to others? I do the same thing but I am learning to love me and in so doing take better care of me!

Susan
  • gggivens
    Options
    Iris-
    Don't let the pictures of the skinny minis bother you too much. You are right- almost all of them are airbrushed to death.

And truth be known, while med like the pictures of skinny women (Because they are styled up, posed seductively, and are the 'unattainable' treat), in real life, most men find those skinny minis to be annoying and actually fairly unattractive.

Being too heavy is unhealthy- but then, so is being too skinny. Men seem to prefer women that are around a size 8 to 10 average. At least that is the case in the midwest and mountain regions. That gives them something to hold onto. And it definitely looks much healthier!

Keep up with the good food choices, use the gym that you probably have available at school, and walk all over campus. You do that, and those pounds will come off and you will feel great!

153131.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • firewalking
    firewalking Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We are all here for you. That combined with you will to lose weight and become healthier will ensure your success. This is an awesome site.

I was completely unable to lose weight for months in spite of my best efforts....but I started this site somewhere around January 26 and I've lost 13 pounds.

You CAN do this.:flowerforyou:
  • ForReviews
    Options
    Thanks for the motivation.

I hope I can do the same : )

Best,
  • sweetapplepi
    Options
    You can do it! Don't ever compare yourself to the fake pictures that you see. =/
    You are starting a journey, and should be so proud of yourself for that. I know you will do great! :flowerforyou:
  • Huyvee999
    Huyvee999 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    :happy: Iris,
    Im kinda on the same page as you with the used to work out and whatnot. im 26 years old and i used to be in such great shape and ran and was really into sports and then after High school I didnt keep it up and all my muscles turned into fat. I gained about 70 lbs and in the past 2 years have lost about 40 of it.
    I to am sick of seeing the adds for the skinny chicks but the again it is kinda helping me get motivated again to get my old body back. My boyfriend as well is really into working out and being healthy and it was kind of an eye opener when he came to me and said he wants me to do the same. He cares for me that much that he wants me to be healthy and be able to do the things I love (i.e Sports) with him and not get tired so fast.
    I wish you the best of luck and as I see from all the above mentioned notations we are all here for you and its nice to have such supprt from others in the same boat.
    Thanks all
    Good luck!!!
  • ForReviews
    Options
    Hey,

Thanks for that note. Great for you for losing a lot of it already.

I'm glad things are going well for both you and your boyfriend. I hope to keep this up and lose 40 lbs too.

Anyway, thanks again for the support!!!

Best,
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love this site if you don't already. I love this site, it is so motivational, supportive, helpful, and everyone is so nice, and friendly. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this.